As A Black Person Why Should I Celebrate the 4th of July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor came over and asked if I was going to do fireworks today. I told her no and that I do not celebrate the 4th. She asked me why and I told her I didnt want to spoil her fun. She insisted I tell her and I eventually relented. I told her that my ancestors were still enslaved on this day even though a man that looked like me was the first to die in defense of this country.
Because you got the day off like the rest of us??
I can get any day off. Thats a terrible reason.
Face it, this is the white man's country -- therefore by default if you want to be considered a true American, you need to honor this country, even if your people were slaves back then -- they were still fighting for a country where their offspring will some day be free

The fact of the matter Biff is that slavery was once a common practice the world over, but it was America that ended slavery and without both acts, 99.99% of the Blacks in the country today wouldn't have the lifestyle, comfort, opportunity and living they have. When you celebrate the 4th, you are not just celebrating America for what it has done right (no country doesn't make mistakes), but you are celebrating the IDEAL that America stands for. America has done more right and good for the world than any other country in the history of the Earth.

My neighbor came over and asked if I was going to do fireworks today. I told her no and that I do not celebrate the 4th. She asked me why and I told her I didnt want to spoil her fun. She insisted I tell her and I eventually relented. I told her that my ancestors were still enslaved on this day even though a man that looked like me was the first to die in defense of this country.

It must really suck to have to drag around that burdensome modifier "black" wherever you go from day to day. I know it probably doesn't get old to you because that's what you identify with, but it sorta gets old to everyone else who has to hear it over and over again.

You might have missed it, but there was once this guy named "Martin Luther King." He once visualized a country where a person would just be a "person.", regardless of their color. You might take some time out and go to your local library and read up on him. He had some interesting ideas.

#WalkAway
Actually its pretty empowering being Black.

MLK also said he thought he made a mistake trying to integrate with whites. I'm guessing that was kept from you.

Blacks aren't physically more powerful, in fact quite the opposite, especially on a size per size basis Whites, Asians, and Hispanics of the same size tend to be much more powerful.

You really buy your own bullshit?

Face it, this is the white man's country -- therefore by default if you want to be considered a true American, you need to honor this country, even if your people were slaves back then -- they were still fighting for a country where their offspring will some day be free

The fact of the matter Biff is that slavery was once a common practice the world over, but it was America that ended slavery and without both acts, 99.99% of the Blacks in the country today wouldn't have the lifestyle, comfort, opportunity and living they have. When you celebrate the 4th, you are not just celebrating America for what it has done right (no country doesn't make mistakes), but you are celebrating the IDEAL that America stands for. America has done more right and good for the world than any other country in the history of the Earth.
:rofl:

That would be up to you my friend, but I will say no matter how your ancestors got here it's your country now. Enjoy your freedom to celebrate or not as you choose.
I know its up to me. That was never in doubt. What I am asking is for the board to supply some reasons that I should celebrate the 4th.
Do you plan on returning your holiday pay for being off?
Holiday pay? I run a business. If I did work to make someone else wealthy I wouldnt return the holiday pay. Why would I do something stupid like that?
Because why take it off since you don't like it why reap the benefit?

The fact of the matter Biff is that slavery was once a common practice the world over, but it was America that ended slavery and without both acts, 99.99% of the Blacks in the country today wouldn't have the lifestyle, comfort, opportunity and living they have....

As long you don't say that in a way that implies black had a free ride here?

This country is what it is due to EVERYONE's contributions -- and some can say that blacks were even more patriotic because they willingly died for a country that currently treated them like shit because they BELIEVED in its promise more than their current oppressors did.

do at least half the work my ancestors did (for free)

For free? You kid, right? News flash for you son, slaves might have been sold out into slavery for money by their fellow people against their will, but they got free homes, free food, free healthcare, and free clothes. Not that it was a good life, but I bet it was better than back in Africa! Then they got free freedom, free civil rights, free white people fighting to emancipate them, free college, free education, free affirmative action until the scales were slid so far to the one side as to FORCE blacks to come out equal even if they had lesser intelligence, lower education and fewer skills.

That would be up to you my friend, but I will say no matter how your ancestors got here it's your country now. Enjoy your freedom to celebrate or not as you choose.
I know its up to me. That was never in doubt. What I am asking is for the board to supply some reasons that I should celebrate the 4th.
Holiday pay? I run a business. If I did work to make someone else wealthy I wouldnt return the holiday pay. Why would I do something stupid like that?
Because free money is always a good thing? Would you turn down a $300 because a Black guy gave it to you?

Last edited:

For free? You kid, right? News flash for you son, slaves might have been sold out into slavery for money by their fellow people against their will, but they got free homes, free food, free healthcare, and free clothes. Not that it was a good life, but I bet it was better than back in Africa! Then they got free freedom, free civil rights, free white people fighting to emancipate them, free college, free education, free affirmative action until the scales were slid so far to the one side as to FORCE blacks to come out equal even if they had lesser intelligence, lower education and fewer skills.
You would lose that bet but irregardless of your ignorance, enslaving someone doesnt get better because they get a slave shack in return. You sound like an idiot. Whites had affirmative action for over 300 years. During that time only whites benefited. Your race must really be feeble if you needed all that time to get a head start. However, I see you have deflected again. Get back on topic boy.

Yup, another idiot who believes slaves had it easy -- but you will be the same clueless bastard to cry "slavery" !!! when the capital gains tax is raised 2% or because of an Obamacare mandate

But I guarantee you that you won't say Jews benefited from being exterminated in concentration camps because after the war they got a country --- because racists are much more willing to be dismissive of plights blacks suffered more than all others

That's dramatic, it made me rethink being an American.

Nah

Because free money is always a good thing? Would you turn down a hundred dollars because a Black guy gave it to you?
It's hypocritical to hate a country bitch about it but reap the benefits.

Nah
Why did me not celebrating the 4th make you rethink being an american? Its never made me rethink it.

Because free money is always a good thing? Would you turn down a hundred dollars because a Black guy gave it to you?
It's hypocritical to hate a country bitch about it but reap the benefits.
I agree. Not sure I get how that relates to me not celebrating the 4th? If you want to talk hypocrisy you might want to explain how the declaration of independence forgot about the enslaved right?

Last edited:

Nah
Why did me not celebrating the 4th make you rethink being an american? Its never made me rethink it.

That whole thing about you looking just like a guy looking just like you, etc. and the Kunta Kinte story as well.

Very moving.

Nah

That whole thing about you looking just like a guy looking just like you, etc. and the Kunta Kinte story as well.

Very moving.
Can you be more specific? Can you point to the part where I said "I am rethinking being an american"?

Why shouldn’t you? The country finally came to embrace that in which it proclaimed. Your God given rights were fought for, won, and eventually did become a reality of everything that document proclaimed.

To not celebrate that is just holding a grudge because you can, and doesn’t have to do with any reality of today. You don’t want to celebrate its final complete passage. You want to wallow in misery of what once was rather than what is. How utterly miserable and self serving.

Why shouldn’t you? The country finally came to embrace that in which it proclaimed. Your God given rights were fought for, won, and eventually did become a reality of everything that document proclaimed.

To not celebrate that is just holding a grudge because you can, and doesn’t have to do with any reality of today. You don’t want to celebrate its final complete passage. You want to wallow in misery of what once was rather than what is. How utterly miserable and self serving.
The question is why should I? I already explained why I shouldnt. Its hypocritical.

I'm not miserable. I celebrate Juneteenth instead. Thats when all the enslaved were freed. Oddly enough white people seem to get emotional and angry about that. Its like they hate that everyone was free on that day. Can you explain that weird phenomenon?

And I explained why I think you should. That document is actually fulfilled today, has been for quite some time and worthy of being celebrated, even if it was late.

The question is why should I? I already explained why I shouldnt.

And I explained why I think you should. That document is actually fulfilled today, has been for quite some time and worthy of being celebrated, even if it was late.

The question is why should I? I already explained why I shouldnt.
Yeah but its a lie. The country didnt embrace that idea on the 4th. How could they if there were still people enslaved?

It must really suck to have to drag around that burdensome modifier "black" wherever you go from day to day. I know it probably doesn't get old to you because that's what you identify with, but it sorta gets old to everyone else who has to hear it over and over again.

You might have missed it, but there was once this guy named "Martin Luther King." He once visualized a country where a person would just be a "person.", regardless of their color. You might take some time out and go to your local library and read up on him. He had some interesting ideas.

#WalkAway
Actually its pretty empowering being Black.

MLK also said he thought he made a mistake trying to integrate with whites. I'm guessing that was kept from you.

Blacks aren't physically more powerful, in fact quite the opposite, especially on a size per size basis Whites, Asians, and Hispanics of the same size tend to be much more powerful.

You really buy your own bullshit?

You really believe Blacks are physically stronger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back