Argument For The Death Penalty

You do realize that according to the DOJ, murderers have the lowest rate of recidivism, followed, believe it or not, by sex offenders?

Look it up.
I would imagine the lower sex offender recidivism rate is more due to low victim reporting rate than to actual offender recidivism.

And you would be wrong. Or at least unprovably wrong. To say, "Well, more molesters get away with it because of the low rate of reporting" assumes that ONLY with molestation do instances of the crime go unreported. Lots of times crimes are not reported. How many times does a husband beat a wife and nobody reports it? Does that mean it doesn't happen? Well, you can't say something happens based solely on the fact that, somewhere, somehow, someone got away with it. The low rate of recidivism among sex offenders is simply because they don't reoffend at a high rate. Society has enacted things like the sex offender registry that make you think these people are hiding in the bushes when in reality, its druggie thugs that have the highest recidivism rate, at over 60%. Murderers are about 3 percent and sex offenders about 5%. 85% of sex offenders offend for the first time not on the registry.

And the reason murderers have a low reoffense rate is complex. It's partly because most never get released, but if they do, their offense was not random. If someone attempts to steal your car and you fight him and wind up killing him while he's running away, you'll go down for murder. Does that mean you're what society would call a "murderer?" No, you didn't just randomly walk up to someone and put a cap in their ass. Most murderers know their victims and have a serious beef with them. They're not just serial killers. Serial killers never get released anyway.

Explain this. A murderer can get released from prison and live next to a school or daycare, never have to notify neighbors, never be put on a "murderer" registry, etc. A murderer can have a facebook account, a sex offender can't. But an 18yo with his 16yo gf is banned for life in some states. And we call this fair?

What is your point here? Sounds as if you are on the defense here?

Not on the defense but when someone makes an accusation I ask for proof. Lack of proof removes all credibility from accuser.

I happen to think, in a world where we are 19 trillion in debt, that spending money on watching a group of people who have an extremely low reoffense rate happens to be a waste of money.

Not on the defense but when someone makes an accusation I ask for proof. Lack of proof removes all credibility from accuser.

I happen to think, in a world where we are 19 trillion in debt, that spending money on watching a group of people who have an extremely low reoffense rate happens to be a waste of money.

I don't consider a waste to protect children from adults who would prey upon them if given the opportunity to do so. :dunno: More than as a "punishment" to the offender, I see locking them up in either jail or a psychiatric facility as more of protecting society (particularly children, the MOST defenseless) from them.

Oh the most defenseless, oh gosh, here is a paper towel to sop up your bleeding heart.

If you gave a damn about kids, you wouldn't be bitching about this.

Ten Leading Causes of Death and Injury - PDFs|Injury Center|CDC

Cars harm more kids than sex offenders. So its the soccer mom driving her kids to soccer practice who is more likely to harm a child than a sex offender. But it's not "cool" to hate on soccer moms, it's cool to hate on sex offenders so lets do it!

CDC: Too many children still dying in car crashes

I'd rather protect kids from real threats, not perceived ones. And do you distinguish a difference between a 18yo boy and his 15yo gf as a "sex offender" any differently than the 50yo uncle who molests his niece? Probably not, you're too stupid to think that critically. Unfortunately, so is most of society.

You need to read this and educate yourself before you embarrass yourself any further.

Predator Panic: A Closer Look - CSI

The high recidivism rate among sex offenders is repeated so often that it is accepted as truth, but in fact recent studies show that the recidivism rates for sex offenses is not unusually high. According to a U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics study (“Recidivism of Sex Offenders Released from Prison in 1994”), just five percent of sex offenders followed for three years after their release from prison in 1994 were arrested for another sex crime. A study released in 2003 by the Bureau of Justice Statistics found that within three years, 3.3 percent of the released child molesters were arrested again for committing another sex crime against a child. Three to five percent is hardly a high repeat offender rate.

The tragic irony is that the panic over sex offenders distracts the public from the real danger, a far greater threat to children than sexual predators: parental abuse and neglect. The vast majority of crimes against children are committed not by released sex offenders but instead by the victim’s own family, church clergy, and family friends.

More restrictive laws for sex offenders doesn't help, it hurts. It drives them underground, where NOBODY knows where they are or what they're doing. It also increases the chances they'll commit another crime out of spite.

And remember, just like a newspaper article that was local said, the headline was "Sex offender reoffends." Most stupid people who wouldn't actually read the article would assume he fondled another kid. Come to find out his "reoffense" was being caught with dope. So while technically he "reoffended" he didn't re-sexoffend. But ignorant idiots like you would use an article like that to back up their claim.

What you want to do is stop children from being molested. So do I, but 85% of offenses against children are by people NOT on the registry so it's not doing any good. I guess to people like you, doing something ineffective beats not doing anything at all.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back