Are You Morally Defective (different thread)?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I just clicked on another thread with this title, only to see that it was a screed about the United Nations.

But I THOUGHT it was going to be about ethics and morality - specifically, "Natural Law"?

Do you profess a "religion"?

Do you believe in Natural Law?

There is no question among civilized people that certain forms of behavior are "wrong." Theft, murder, lies and deception, destruction of another person's property, breaking promises, and so forth. In various cultures, these basic rules are easily defeated by circumstances, which vary from culture to culture. For example, while it is evil to kill someone, maybe it is OK to kill someone who is a mass murderer, likely to murder again. You get the idea.

But "Natural Law" is the belief that there are some "sins" or "moral crimes" that are simply "wrong," even if there is no apparent damage or victim. Christians believe that lust is a sin, even if one never acts on it. Muslims believe that female immodesty is a sin, even if it never leads to overtly sinful behavior. Jews believe that eating pork is a violation of God's law.

Most people who subscribe to orthodox religions believe that homosexual sodomy is wrong (or sinful) even though there is no victim and no apparent physical harm. Most also believe that masturbation is wrong, sex between unmarried adults is wrong, and sodomy, even within a marriage, is wrong. Most believe that abortion is seriously wrong - equivalent to infanticide.

So which is it? Do you believe that "wrong" is solely determined by measurable harm - i.e., if it's harmless it's not wrong, or do you believe in Natural Law?

If you claim to be Christian, do you support "gay marriage," abortion, and divorce? How?

Forum List

Back