Are You An Organ Donor?

Are You An Organ Donor?

• Total voters
I am not an organ donor. Organ donation should not be compulsory and not be opt out instead of opt in. What would happen is that the card, stating that you aren't a donor just wouldn't be found until later. Better no organ harvesting than "Oops, we didn't find the card, it's too late now". However, IF there were such a thing as an opt out provision instead of an opt in provision, the appropriate solution would be to retrieve the illegally harvestedg organs for proper disposition. Those who refuse to be an organ donor, are probably like myself and wouldn't want to live because they were cobbled together out of the body parts of a corpse. No family member or interested party should have the right or the power to override the wishes of the deceased.

Why the squeamishness? If you're dead, you have no use for any organs, nor will you miss any of them. If you're in need of a transplant to stay alive, you'd most likely welcome any chance to keep on living. I would be happy knowing that my lungs enables someone else to breathe, or my heart allow someone else to live.

I do agree though that organ donation should not be compulsory, and should be something to opt in.

It is entirely too Frankensteinish for me. The creep factor of a person reanimated by the body parts of corpses is more ghoulish than I can tolerate. Not to mention the dancing on the grave factor. Did you notice all that joy and happiness when some poor innocent person died and this girl got the corpse lungs? We don't even have the capacty to mourn nor respect the mourning of others.

So, do you think it would be better if both the accident victim and the little girl died?

The best thing about being an Organ Donor is that the Doctors will work to save your organs and not your life.

That is not true. Every effort possible is made to save your life.

What an idiotic statement. Name one medical condition preventing organ donation.[/COLOR]

Heart disease - you can't donate your heart. Cystic Fibrosis affects organs other than the lungs. There are many conditions that prevent people from being donors.

Is not donating if you're forced, it's tyranny

But since the system would be opt out, you are not forced. Being forced would imply you have no choice at all but to donate, and you would still have that choice.

I'm thinking about starting to donate blood. I never have previously because I have an aversion to needles and when I've had blood drawn for testing I get faint. Really faint and will pass out. And they're often rather cold and uncaring about it. So I just don't do it.

However...I've had blood drawn three times in the last several months and I did not get faint. So it occurs to me...maybe I can start donating blood now!

It's not entirely a noble and selfless thought, though. Donating blood has health benefits for the donor, as well as the recipient.

Last edited:
Yeah, what about AIDS? Do they transplant organs from someone with AIDS?

I doubt it, and a person with Aids wouldn't able to donate anyway. That is what I meant about medical conditions.

I know that's what you meant Noomi. I was trying to help your argument by supplying another example of a health condition that would prevent you from donating organs.

: )

Why the squeamishness? If you're dead, you have no use for any organs, nor will you miss any of them. If you're in need of a transplant to stay alive, you'd most likely welcome any chance to keep on living. I would be happy knowing that my lungs enables someone else to breathe, or my heart allow someone else to live.

I do agree though that organ donation should not be compulsory, and should be something to opt in.

It is entirely too Frankensteinish for me. The creep factor of a person reanimated by the body parts of corpses is more ghoulish than I can tolerate. Not to mention the dancing on the grave factor. Did you notice all that joy and happiness when some poor innocent person died and this girl got the corpse lungs? We don't even have the capacty to mourn nor respect the mourning of others.

So, do you think it would be better if both the accident victim and the little girl died?

The question is irrelevant. You are pushing a problem on a person not related to the situation.

If I were the accident victim and someone said "you have minutes to live but you can save the life of a little girl." My response would be "Her parents better start planning that funeral." It's better than having the little girl's mother hovering over my broken body sceaming "DIE WHY WON'T YOU DIE?"

Seriously though, kidneys are pretty valuable. I'd like to get a couple of bucks before they pry them from my cold dead corpse. I have a pretty rare blood type ,AB, and I'm seriously concerned that they might hasten my demise to get at the juicy treasures in my body.

But do kidneys follow the same metric as blood donation?

If so, AB is not a very valuable blood type - in fact it's the least valuable. It's the universal receiver, and only compatible for transfusion INTO another AB - Whereas O is the universal donor, and can transfused into A, B, AB, or O.

Organs may be different though.

OK I'll take 50 million instead of my usual price of 100 mil. Heroic living people donate kidneys every day for nothing. Can you specify where your donated organs go by race, creed or NRA membership? Why should the government be in charge of the distribution of such valuable commodities? We have been through this before but why not let some poor guy who is barely getting by sell a spare part to some rich Shiek while he is still alive. I think medical facilities barter in human fetus tissue.

Since there is so much discussion about the little girl who has received a new set of lungs, I ask USMB members if they are organ donors.

If so, how long have you been a donor?
Are you donating organs, or tissue/blood/muscle etc?
Do you think organ donation should be compulsory?
Do you think the system should be an opt out one, as opposed to opt in?
Do you think family members should have the right to override the wishes of a loved one, if that loved one wanted to be a donor upon their death?
Do you believe those who choose to donate should have the right to decide who receives their organs?
Should those who refuse to be organ donors be forbidden from receiving an organ? ie; if you don't gift, you don't receive? Excluding people suffering from medical conditions, of course.

Personally, I am not an organ donor nor do I wish to be one. I am, however, registered to be a donor in the event my life comes to a quick and tragic end.

Last edited:

Is the idea of saving a life so abhorrent to you?

Ask the Doctors why they don't do the operations for free

Ask the nurses why they don't work for free

Ask the hospital why they don't provide their services for free

It goes on and on and on, yet it's always is the selfish donor.

Not trying to be argumentative, but so many people profit EXCEPT the grieving family. Makes ZERO sense.

Why would they work for free to harvest organs? Its a long procedure, are you saying they should do it for free?
Then they would refuse to do it.

Why would they work for free to harvest organs? Its a long procedure, are you saying they should do it for free?

No, I'm saying that there are often a grieving family of a dead person, without any source of income when the donor dies. Hundreds of people profit from his/her death but THAT family.

Something about this seems so very wrong.

No, I'm saying that there are often a grieving family of a dead person, without any source of income when the donor dies. Hundreds of people profit from his/her death but THAT family.

I don't see the issue. A sick person benefits, and the grieving family benefits by knowing that their loved one saved a life.

There is a book out in paperback. I think it's called "Stiff". It's about the way donated bodies are treated. If you donate your whole pitiful anatomy you might end up in med school with students making quiet jokes about your former attributes or lack of them. You might end up in the forensic bone yard being tested for the time it takes for maggot infestation to consume your remains or you might end up in a doomed automobile headed for a wall. If you are specific you might get a decent burial minus a few organs. It's hard to cite a specific incidence but I have no doubt that in some cases the demise might be enhanced or encouraged by negligence if they see the check on the drivers license. Why try for extraordinary resuscitation when the (deceased) checked the box? It's easier to harvest the juicy remains.

Other than the person who receives the organ(s), who is directly profiting? The doctors, nurses, technicians, etc. would, so far as I'm aware, be paid the same whether they get an organ from you or not. I don't think I've ever heard of commission based medical care. So how are hundreds of people profiting?

Forum List

Back