Are You An Organ Donor?

Are You An Organ Donor?

• Total voters
Why would they work for free to harvest organs? Its a long procedure, are you saying they should do it for free?
Then they would refuse to do it.

No, I'm saying that there are often a grieving family of a dead person, without any source of income when the donor dies. Hundreds of people profit from his/her death but THAT family.

Something about this seems so very wrong.

I don't see the issue. A sick person benefits, and the grieving family benefits by knowing that their loved one saved a life.

Yet the pressure is on the potential donor "what do you have against saving....."

Nope inappropriate, unless others also sacrifice. The doctor doesn't, nor the nurse, nor the hospital, nor the administration.

Let them all donate 1/2 their fees to the grieving family, or ask all of them the same question

" what do you have against saving........"

Edited to add:

I don't have anything against organ donation, but it seems theirs a fair amount of hypocrisy in the marketing of it.

Last edited:
That's a ridiculous reason to be against organ donation. What do you want from the doctors, then?

That's a ridiculous reason to be against organ donation. What do you want from the doctors, then?

It would be if I were, which I'm not. I do not like people who do not want to be an organ donor put down because of their decision.

The same could be said to the Doctors, to the Nurses, etc, etc, ect.

What do I want from the Doctors?

Not applicable

Since there is so much discussion about the little girl who has received a new set of lungs, I ask USMB members if they are organ donors.

If so, how long have you been a donor?
Are you donating organs, or tissue/blood/muscle etc?
Do you think organ donation should be compulsory?
Do you think the system should be an opt out one, as opposed to opt in?
Do you think family members should have the right to override the wishes of a loved one, if that loved one wanted to be a donor upon their death?
Do you believe those who choose to donate should have the right to decide who receives their organs?
Should those who refuse to be organ donors be forbidden from receiving an organ? ie; if you don't gift, you don't receive? Excluding people suffering from medical conditions, of course.

Yes all, but I voted no . I can't donate organs, and I feel that at this point in my life a life giving organ would be best used on a younger more productive person.

Wait a minute, what propaganda, I'm on the non PC side of this

If a Doctor is paid a fee for his service

If a Nurse collects a fee for his service

If a Hopital collects a fee for its services

WHY IS THE FAMILY OF THE DONOR (his/her estate) not also allowed to be compensated?

The answer is probably that he/she would be selfish in doing so.

The doctor isn't?

The nurse isn't?

The hospital isn't?

Poppycock

All I am saying is tha no one - no one has the right to tell, or imply a reluctant donor that they are selfish unless you have NO SELFISH people in the picture.

WHY IS THE FAMILY OF THE DONOR (his/her estate) not also allowed to be compensated?

The doctor isn't?

The nurse isn't?

The hospital isn't?

Poppycock

All I am saying is tha no one - no one has the right to tell, or imply a reluctant donor that they are selfish unless you have NO SELFISH people in the picture.

Why should the family be compensated? Why should they get money for something that didn't belong to them?

The doctor isn't?

The nurse isn't?

The hospital isn't?

Poppycock

Why should the family be compensated? Why should they get money for something that didn't belong to them?

not everyone who donates is dead

The doctor isn't?

The nurse isn't?

The hospital isn't?

Poppycock

You are going to have to explain that one!

The doctor isn't?

The nurse isn't?

The hospital isn't?

Poppycock

not everyone who donates is dead

And there is no sane reason that a donor of a Kidney can't be compensated when many, many, many others are ROYALLY compensated. Can you imagine the surge in donations if that were the case.

It seems we are more interested in making a segment of the population Black sheep then we are in actually saving lives.

Why would they work for free to harvest organs? Its a long procedure, are you saying they should do it for free?
Then they would refuse to do it.

No, I'm saying that there are often a grieving family of a dead person, without any source of income when the donor dies. Hundreds of people profit from his/her death but THAT family.

Something about this seems so very wrong.

Other than the person who receives the organ(s), who is directly profiting? The doctors, nurses, technicians, etc. would, so far as I'm aware, be paid the same whether they get an organ from you or not.

wrong

I don't think I've ever heard of commission based medical care. So how are hundreds of people profiting?

Because people get paid to do the that work.

Everybody associated with the organ translplant event gets paid EXCEPT the donor or the donor's heirs.

I am completely flummoxed by this.

EVERBODY profits
except the person who donates.

You know all that blood you donate out of the goodness of your heart?

Everybody involved with that blood makes money off it EXCEPT you.

The person who receives it PAYS for it, too.

Since there is so much discussion about the little girl who has received a new set of lungs, I ask USMB members if they are organ donors.
Yes.
If so, how long have you been a donor?
34 years, since I first got my driver's license.
Are you donating organs, or tissue/blood/muscle etc?
Whatever's usable. ON EDIT: I used to donate blood...the last time I did, the Red Cross sent me a letter saying, "You have had hepatitis. You're on our shit list. You ever try to donate again, we'll kick the shit outta you." Okay, not in those exact words, but still.

Went to my doc with the letter. He did some tests and said, "You've never had hep, but you have had a minor liver virus. All gone now." But I still can't donate blood.
Do you think organ donation should be compulsory?
No.
Do you think the system should be an opt out one, as opposed to opt in?
No.
Do you think family members should have the right to override the wishes of a loved one, if that loved one wanted to be a donor upon their death?
No.
Do you believe those who choose to donate should have the right to decide who receives their organs?
No.
Should those who refuse to be organ donors be forbidden from receiving an organ? ie; if you don't gift, you don't receive? Excluding people suffering from medical conditions, of course.
No.

Good thread. :thup:

Last edited:

The doctor isn't?

The nurse isn't?

The hospital isn't?

Poppycock

They are the survivors of the person who donated. For example, they are the wife and children of a man who died and donated his organs. Compensating his surviving wife and children is like compensating him. For the same reason that we buy life insurance on ourselves to benefit our loved ones if we die.

EVerybody makes money on the deal but the donor or the donor's estate?

Bad idea.

When EVERY person and organization involved with an organ transplant is doing so FOR GRATIS, then it would make perfect sense to think that those who refuse to donate organs are selfish

Until then?

WAKE UP and smell the profit motive, kiddies

The reason why no one makes money out of organ donation is because it is a DONATION. You make a donation to a charity, you don't get compensation for it.

Forum List

Back