Zone1 Are you a member of a political party ? Why ?

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
What do you get ?
I can see that it shows support and provides finance. But does your membership give you any rights ?

In the UK members get to vote for their party leader.
Libs and labour members get to vote on policy.But the leaders are free to ignore the vote if they dont like it. The tories dont evn get that vote.
You can also use the party club facilities which is a variable benefit.But non members can pay to get in anyway.

Its not an extensive list of benefits.
What do you get in America ?

What do you get ?
I can see that it shows support and provides finance. But does your membership give you any rights ?

Libs and labour members get to vote on policy.But the leaders are free to ignore the vote if they dont like it. The tories dont evn get that vote.
You can also use the party club facilities which is a variable benefit.But non members can pay to get in anyway.

What do you get in the US?

You get crushed with inflation, told you are destroying the world with carbon emissions as you are told the world would be better off if you were dead, and treated like a second rate citizen compared to illegals pouring into the country.

It's a great deal!

What do you get ?

Doesn't cost to join but they hit you up for donations constantly. What it generally gives you, but this varies by state, is the right to vote in the primary and select the candidates of that party to run in the general election.

What do you get ?

No, but I worked indirectly for the DCCC at one point. They placed me where they wanted me after the Congressman I worked for retired. Some states require you be registered to vote with a party to vote in their primaries. Virginia does not. I am no longer associated with either party (which I think are basically the same party at this point).

Doesn't cost to join but they hit you up for donations constantly. What it generally gives you, but this varies by state, is the right to vote in the primary and select the candidates of that party to run in the general election.
There are some shocking people involved in politics. How do they get chosen ?
Can anyone apply ?

No.

nV5gAAH.jpg

There are some shocking people involved in politics. How do they get chosen ?
Can anyone apply ?
Can anyone apply? Yes you just need a big ego, big voice, and big bucks.

At the national level it is a popularity contest since we generally vote the candidate over the party and the issues.

Democratic Party

As it hasn’t devolved to a lesser educated collection of white morons.

What do you get ?

We have a pretty weird system. It was set up so that each state makes its own voting laws, with only a few federal boundaries. The two parties — which the Founding Fathers did not plan for — stretch over all 50 states plus DC like spiderwebs, orchestrating them together in order to reach that magical level of 50%+1. Therefore, the parties offer different advantages in different states.

Each party has primary elections in the spring that determine their party's candidate for the general (final) election in November. In many states, only people who register as Republican can vote in the Republican primary, and only registered Democrats can vote in the Democratic primary, while Independents or third-partiers can't vote for either. That alone is a pretty big reason to pick one or the other ... but only in some states.

We have a pretty weird system. It was set up so that each state makes its own voting laws, with only a few federal boundaries. The two parties — which the Founding Fathers did not plan for — stretch over all 50 states plus DC like spiderwebs, orchestrating them together in order to reach that magical level of 50%+1. Therefore, the parties offer different advantages in different states.

Each party has primary elections in the spring that determine their party's candidate for the general (final) election in November. In many states, only people who register as Republican can vote in the Republican primary, and only registered Democrats can vote in the Democratic primary, while Independents or third-partiers can't vote for either. That alone is a pretty big reason to pick one or the other ... but only in some states.
One of the things I find strange is that people seem to know who you vote for. The regidtered member thing is not something that I have encountered before.

Why do the parties make this info public ?

Is your vote between you and the ballot box ? Anything else is very suspect.

One of the things I find strange is that people seem to know who you vote for. The regidtered member thing is not something that I have encountered before.

Why do the parties make this info public ?

Is your vote between you and the ballot box ? Anything else is very suspect.
They don't. Voting is by secret ballot. The parties don't even see your ballot (they are counted by election officials), but even if they did, they wouldn't be allowed to say.

There is also exit polling, where someone simply stands at the "Out" door with a pad of paper and asks each person who they voted for once they're done. For good or ill, most people are apparently happy to spill the beans.

Polling in general is a massive industry, and they've turned analysis and re-analysis and predictive number-crunching into a very specific science. They are allowed to speak of who voted for whom in the aggregate — 40% of voters in this district voted for this person, and 75% of this type of person voted this way, and so on.

They don't. Voting is by secret ballot. The parties don't even see your ballot (they are counted by election officials), but even if they did, they wouldn't be allowed to say.

There is also exit polling, where someone simply stands at the "Out" door with a pad of paper and asks each person who they voted for once they're done. For good or ill, most people are apparently happy to spill the beans.

Polling in general is a massive industry, and they've turned analysis and re-analysis and predictive number-crunching into a very specific science. They are allowed to speak of who voted for whom in the aggregate — 40% of voters in this district voted for this person, and 75% of this type of person voted this way, and so on.
That makes sense We have similar exit polling here. I always tell the tory guy that I voted for him. Just to screw up his figures.

What do you get ?

I'm a Republican solely because it gives me a say in who they nominate.

Some states require joining a party to vote in the primary's
The major party now in America is HATE your neighbors if they are not members of your political party.

Forum List

Back