Are We Really a Christian Nation ?

Dominionism: (or Reconstructionism)A particular school of evangelical political thought that holds Christians as having rightful “dominion” over the earth- including its political institutions. They wish to make America a “Christian” nation, ruled by Christians, and have stated boldly that the U.S. Constitution should be replaced by Christian sovereignty and Christian principles, including, by the way- the execution of gays.

The fountainhead of Dominionist theology is Rousas John Rushdoony, who held, among other notions, that the principles of Christianity and democracy are enemies.

Pat Robertson is, and Jerry Falwell was….self-avowed Christian Reconstructionists/Dominionists.

There are obviously variations on the degree to which Dominionists want to influence government. But the fundamental principles are:

1. We were founded as a Christan Nation.
2. Christianity is superior to other religions (not all seek convert all people though that varies as well.)
3. Our laws should be based on Biblical law.

This attempt to replace democratic ethics with religion is truly disturbing to citizens who believe that the Constitution should be the rule of the land.

I suspect that according to you, this makes them evil.

You do understand, of course, that most people that seek influence regardless of what their faith is want to control the government. This is probably the biggest problem we as a nation have today. Lobbyists work for people who desire to control this country regardless of race, creed or sexual orientation. Lobbyists don't care about those things. Money is all that matters to them.

Unfortunately, the only people you feel the need to condemn are Christians.

Immie

What does separation of church and state mean to you? Do you want Christianity to be the official religion and biblical law the law of the land?

What's wrong with the Constitution?

Stop making this so personal. We are discussing ideas. I did not say Christianity is evil, nor am I condemning Christians.

I am expressing my concern about theocracy. I wouldn't want the US to be a Buddhist theocracy either.

Last edited:
Dominionism: (or Reconstructionism)A particular school of evangelical political thought that holds Christians as having rightful “dominion” over the earth- including its political institutions. They wish to make America a “Christian” nation, ruled by Christians, and have stated boldly that the U.S. Constitution should be replaced by Christian sovereignty and Christian principles, including, by the way- the execution of gays.

The fountainhead of Dominionist theology is Rousas John Rushdoony, who held, among other notions, that the principles of Christianity and democracy are enemies.

Pat Robertson is, and Jerry Falwell was….self-avowed Christian Reconstructionists/Dominionists.

There are obviously variations on the degree to which Dominionists want to influence government. But the fundamental principles are:

2. Christianity is superior to other religions (not all seek convert all people though that varies as well.)

This attempt to replace democratic ethics with religion is truly disturbing to citizens who believe that the Constitution should be the rule of the land.

Never heard of them.

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Erin Go Bragh!

You do understand, of course, that most people that seek influence regardless of what their faith is want to control the government. This is probably the biggest problem we as a nation have today. Lobbyists work for people who desire to control this country regardless of race, creed or sexual orientation. Lobbyists don't care about those things. Money is all that matters to them.

Immie

What does separation of church and state mean to you? Do you want Christianity to be the official religion and biblical law the law of the land?

Stop making this so personal. We are discussing ideas. I did not say Christianity is evil, nor am I condemning Christians.

I am expressing my concern about theocracy. I wouldn't want the US to be a Buddhist theocracy either.

No, we are not discussing ideas. You are bashing Christians and then dodging off to start new threads bashing Christians.

Your attacks over the last week or so have made this personal. You start thread after thread after thread about the evils of Christianity and then when Christians stand up against you, you cry that they are attacking you.

My statement in post #13 is more than clear about my beliefs on the Separation of Church and State. I will not retype it.

Immie

Immie

No, we are not discussing ideas. You are bashing Christians and then dodging off to start new threads bashing Christians.

Your attacks over the last week or so have made this personal. You start thread after thread after thread about the evils of Christianity and then when Christians stand up against you, you cry that they are attacking you.

My statement in post #13 is more than clear about my beliefs on the Separation of Church and State. I will not retype it.

Immie

Check the OP. I didn't start this thread. We are discussing whether the US is or is not a Christian nation and what it would mean if Christianity were the official religion. I asked you some specific questions which you decline to answer. I have a right to ask them, you have a right to decline to answer them.

Stop making this so personal.

If the topic upsets you, don't post or read the thread. If you don't like my views, put me on ignore.

Last edited:

Immie

Check the OP. I didn't start this thread. We are discussing whether the US is or is not a Christian nation and what it would mean if Christianity were the official religion. I asked you some specific questions which you decline to answer. I have a right to ask them, you have a right to decline to answer them.

If the topic upsets you, don't post or read the thread. If you don't like my views, put me on ignore.

I did not say you did start this thread. I said you start thread after thread after thread bashing Christians and then you whine when people start fighting back.

As for your "specific questions" they were answered and I even pointed you to the particular post. The fact that you are to lazy to read the thread is not my problem.

Immie

Immie

I did not say you did start this thread. I said you start thread after thread after thread bashing Christians and then you whine when people start fighting back.

As for your "specific questions" they were answered and I even pointed you to the particular post. The fact that you are to lazy to read the thread is not my problem.

Immie

You did not answer my question. Do you think I should not participate in threads which discuss Christianity because you don't like my views?

My views push your buttons, but YOU are responsible for your own buttons.

Immie

You did not answer my question. Do you think I should not participate in threads which discuss Christianity because you don't like my views?

Um, perhaps, you will point to the post that you asked that question of me? That question was not in any post you addressed to me.

Actually, I am happy to have you participate, but I am frustrated with your consistent bashing of Christians and then your incessant whining when Christians stand up to the abuse you dish out.

Immie

We should be striving to be a Christian nation and planet.
Outlook...not so good.

Yes, totally. And reminds me of:

2 Chronicles 7:14
If my people, which are called by My Name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

But we know also it won't happen either.:(

The majority of this country is Christian however Christianity is not the official state religion.

And may it never be.

Whose brand of Christianity would we be required to adopt? Pat Robertson's? Jeremiah Wright's? Fred Phelp's?

Christianity is not a one size fits all faith. May we never be forced to adopt a particular faith whether it be Christianity, Jewish, Muslim or what have you.

Immie

Thanks Immie. From my last post to seeing this, wow I see the difference, helped me to keep my head on straight. :razz:

We can't and shouldn't try to "make" people believe in Jesus Christ anyhow, just share with them and love them.

Yes

Patrick Henry said: "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship."

Patrick Henry was also a slave owner and hated the Constitution, not even wanting it written.

The majority of this country is Christian however Christianity is not the official state religion.

And may it never be.

Whose brand of Christianity would we be required to adopt? Pat Robertson's? Jeremiah Wright's? Fred Phelp's?

Christianity is not a one size fits all faith. May we never be forced to adopt a particular faith whether it be Christianity, Jewish, Muslim or what have you.

Immie

Thanks Immie. From my last post to seeing this, wow I see the difference, helped me to keep my head on straight. :razz:

We can't and shouldn't try to "make" people believe in Jesus Christ anyhow, just share with them and love them.

We can not make people believe. That is up to the Lord.

However, there are "Christians" that seem to believe we can forcefully convert and/or scare others to their salvation. I do not believe salvation works that way.

Grace Alone: Faith Alone: Scripture Alone

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast." Eph 2:8-9

I do not want Pat Robertson telling me what I have to believe and if I do not believe that, I am going to Hell. I rely on the Lord and put all my faith in him. If that is not enough, then there is no hope left.

Immie

And may it never be.

Immie

We can not make people believe. That is up to the Lord.

However, there are "Christians" that seem to believe we can forcefully convert and/or scare others to their salvation. I do not believe salvation works that way.

Grace Alone: Faith Alone: Scripture Alone

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast." Eph 2:8-9

I do not want Pat Robertson telling me what I have to believe and if I do not believe that, I am going to Hell. I rely on the Lord and put all my faith in him. If that is not enough, then there is no hope left.

Immie

Amen. Thanks!

Immie

Um, perhaps, you will point to the post that you asked that question of me? That question was not in any post you addressed to me.

Actually, I am happy to have you participate, but I am frustrated with your consistent bashing of Christians and then your incessant whining when Christians stand up to the abuse you dish out.

Immie

I'm sorry you're frustrated. Perhaps, you should consider why you require me to like or approve of all people who call themselves 'Christian', even the ones who do harm in the name of their God.

N o dout Christianity has had an sizeable influance on America. Too much in my opinion. This question has been hash over and over in forums for seammingly ever. The fact of the matter is this, the U.S. was created to NOT be a theocracy. It was designed to function as a incluesive form of government not within the excluesive superstition of a religion. One thing to consider, if all else is equal and the influence of Judism , Islam , Hindu or Wicca were as prevlent as Christianity would you feel as if your freedom was at risk? Faith is just that, faith, it is choosing to believe in something that lacks evidence. That is no way to maintain a fair and free democracy.

N o dout Christianity has had an sizeable influance on America. Too much in my opinion. This question has been hash over and over in forums for seammingly ever. The fact of the matter is this, the U.S. was created to NOT be a theocracy. It was designed to function as a incluesive form of government not within the excluesive superstition of a religion. One thing to consider, if all else is equal and the influence of Judism , Islam , Hindu or Wicca were as prevlent as Christianity would you feel as if your freedom was at risk? Faith is just that, faith, it is choosing to believe in something that lacks evidence. That is no way to maintain a fair and free democracy.

Exactly. Christians don't want to live in a Muslim theocracy any more than I do. I don't want to live in a Christian theocracy. I don't want to live in a Buddhist theocracy neither.

Some Christians won't be happy until Christianity is the official religion in America. Look out when then that happens.

No that is your definition of what you see as a "Christian" nation.
Not a nation the follows pretty simply the very simple teachings of Christ.

No that is your definition of what you see as a "Christian" nation.
Not a nation the follows pretty simply the very simple teachings of Christ.

The United States is not a Christian nation, in that we don't have Christianity as an official religion. Some people consider the US a Christian nation, because the majority of those who practice religion calls themselves "christian'.

If we simply followed the essence of Christ's teachings, which is to love goodness and to love each other, I would have no problem with that.

Christian has come to mean a specific set of moral imperatives not universally adopted by all Americans.

There is a Dominonist movement to make the US a Christian nation and have Christians take over the government. I oppose that.

Forum List

Back