Are We Really a Christian Nation ?

1. It is likely that state and federal holidays coincide with my religious practices, thereby having little to no impact on my job and/or education.

2. I can talk openly about my religious practices without concern for how it will be received by others.

3. I can be sure to hear music on the radio and watch specials on television that celebrate the holidays of my religion.

4. When told about the history of civilization, I am can be sure that I am shown people of my religion made it what it is.

5. I can worry about religious privilege without being perceived as “self-interested” or “self-seeking.”

6. I can have a “Jesus is Lord” bumper sticker or Icthus (Christian Fish) on my car and not worry about someone vandalizing my car because of it.

7. I can share my holiday greetings without being fully conscious of how it may impact those who do not celebrate the same holidays. Also, I can be sure that people are knowledgeable about the holidays of my religion and will greet me with the appropriate holiday greeting (e.g., Merry Christmas, Happy Easter, etc.).

8. I can probably assume that there is a universality of religious experience.

9. I can deny Christian Privilege by asserting that all religions are essentially the same.

10. I probably do not need to learn the religious or spiritual customs of others, and I am likely not penalized for not knowing them.

40 Examples of Christian Privilege - Democratic Underground

Many of those "Christian privilege's" you listed are privileges common to the freedoms of the US not freedoms of Christians exclusively . Anyone can have any bumper stickers on their cars stating whatever, any religious practices can be talked about openly as that, again falls under the category of freedom.
You # 10 bolded is again true for all religions practiced here.

Not sure what your point was but if it points to specific privileges, they are common to all.

And may it never be.

Whose brand of Christianity would we be required to adopt? Pat Robertson's? Jeremiah Wright's? Fred Phelp's?

Christianity is not a one size fits all faith. May we never be forced to adopt a particular faith whether it be Christianity, Jewish, Muslim or what have you.

Immie

Thanks Immie. From my last post to seeing this, wow I see the difference, helped me to keep my head on straight. :razz:

We can't and shouldn't try to "make" people believe in Jesus Christ anyhow, just share with them and love them.

We can not make people believe. That is up to the Lord.

However, there are "Christians" that seem to believe we can forcefully convert and/or scare others to their salvation. I do not believe salvation works that way.

Grace Alone: Faith Alone: Scripture Alone
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast." Eph 2:8-9

I do not want Pat Robertson telling me what I have to believe and if I do not believe that, I am going to Hell. I rely on the Lord and put all my faith in him. If that is not enough, then there is no hope left.

Immie

Those are my favorite verses.

Grace Alone: Faith Alone: Scripture Alone :clap2:

I do not understand why it so important is some that we be labeled as a Christian nation..........

Now if we could be labeled as Christlike, then that would be something to be proud of.

In answer to the title question.

Yes.

Every city, large town, medium size town, small town, and anything big enough to have a Main St that is not a highway had a St. Patricks Day Parade last weekend or will have one this weekend.

The people that initially settled here, to build a society, did so for religious reasons.

Each branch of the Military has an RP, Religious Person, and a place to come and pray.
Every town has a church of some kind

on and on

We are a christian nation and should be proud of that fact.
WRONG
the original settlers came here for mainly for opportunity . and other reasons
the pilgrims came for religious reasons

we have these things parades , many churches,and in the military every religion is respected and has a place to pray
cus we have freedom of religion the churches in every town are not all christian they cater for all religions

yes we have a st patricks day parade
we also have may day parades .
we have july 4h parades

new years day parades
we also have halloween
all .non christian

christmas day celebration is a combination of pagan, christian, and folks history all rolled into one it was a pagan feat until the christians stole it and called it there own
jesus wasnt even born on that day ..

holly.ivy
santa claus
mistletoe
gift giving
christmas trees
some carols are religious in nature some are not

all have NOTHING to do with christian heritage or custom

all religions and non believers are in some way celebrated in our society

christians have no more RIGHT to claim america as there own any more than any other faith has

WHATS YOUR POINT ??

Last edited:
I do not believe we are a Christian nation. We have many hiding behind the title of 'Christian' but they are not true Christians. There are very few that are. So NO we are NOT a Christian nation.

However, there are "Christians" that seem to believe we can forcefully convert and/or scare others to their salvation. I do not believe salvation works that way.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast." Eph 2:8-9

I do not want Pat Robertson telling me what I have to believe and if I do not believe that, I am going to Hell. I rely on the Lord and put all my faith in him. If that is not enough, then there is no hope left.

Immie

This is one verse that many do not understand correctly. It states that you are saved by the grace of God through faith. However, it also says that the faith you have is a 'gift' of God given to us not by our own works.

This includes 'accepting' Christ. To accept something is also a work. Many say they are saved because they 'accepted' Christ into their lives. This is boasting in a work done by them, not giving credit to the Lord fully for their faith.

I always say that the Lord granted me faith so that I am 'able' to believe that He saved me. This gives all the credit to the Lord.

Last edited:
FHL FRUIT OF LIFE
Written by Minister MarcAlan

There are two ministers. Both involved in politics, one an outspoken republican and the other an outspoken democrat. Each one putting his political party first. They argue and criticize other Christians who disagree with their political views. They divide Christians and encourage quarreling among them. Is this right in Gods sight? Should Christians align themselves to a political party? As Christians shouldn't our purpose and focus be to do Gods will? According to God's word, we are not representatives of a political party; but instead we are representatives of Christ. The Holy Spirit is never and cannot be double minded. Both political parties republican and democratic alike have this in common; they both lack the guidance of the Holy Spirit. So are we really a Christian nation? Is Christ the focus of our nation? And what about the church? Is the church influencing the world? Or is the world influencing the church? When you hear contemporary gospel music do you feel the presence of the holy spirit? Does it make you want to worship God? As Christians do we produce the fruit of the spirit? According to Gal. 5: 22-23(NLT) the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Is there a distinction between those who call themselves Christians from non-Christians? Do we have church leaders who overtly practice sin? Do we have Christians who knowingly ignore the practice of sin by church leaders? As a nation do we promote or support sins against God? As a nation do we promote or support sexual immorality? As a nation do we promote or support homosexuality? As a nation do we promote or support idolatry?

As a nation do we promote or support prayer in school? As a nation do we promote or support removing Christ from Christmas? As a nation do we promote or support celebrating a rabbit instead of the cross? As a nation do we promote or support materialism? As a nation do we teach our children to live a life accountable to God? As a nation do we submit to God? As a nation do we put God first? As a nation are we proud and arrogant? And is it not God who sets himself against the proud and arrogant? As a nation do we promote or support separation between church and state? As Christians we are the church and the church is the body of Christ. Anything apart or separated from Christ is dead! Rather it be one person or a whole nation. So are we really a Christian nation? You tell me!

Pure bullshit. Grow up ape man. Take responsibility for your own life.

christian don't like it but no we are not a christian nation , Jefferson answered that in a letter to a sheik . we are a nation that honors and respect all religions . unfortunately christian don't see it that way :eek:

All Christians? That is a mighty broad brush you paint with Sinister one.

But welcome to USMB anyway. Glad your here.

Immie
thank you .

the nice thing about American christians is that they all don't agree . but the chat boards all of them seem to think this is a christian country and claim it so .

but even All baptist are not from Kansas

I am a Christian. I post on chat boards. I do not think this is a Christian country nor do I want it to be. I think we portray some Christian values but then most people whether they are Christian or not recognize the value of law and since many of our laws are based upon Judeo-Christian values, it seems to me that we do, in fact, portray those values.

But to me being a Christian country has a different connotation to it and I for one do not want anyone to be forced to adopt Christianity. I welcome all, but, not at the point of a sword.

Immie

America is a Christian nation like the religious people of Babylon, Persia, Greece, Rome and then the Roman Catholic church. Eventually the religious beast entered the minds of the Protestant churches. Now the whole world is fulled up with the beast in the minds of it's people so America is a Christian nation but not the nation of God. God's nation was killed by the beast such as most of the prophets, Jesus and the saints. This age is about over and after I'm killed, then the end will come.

No.

Want to know why?

Who would JESUS bomb?

Pretty simple to figure out when you think about it, isn't it?

how about the money changers ? he was a violent man . look at what his followers do , the catholic church rain of terror in the 14 15 and 16th centuries , then in the 17 hundred what they did to the natives in the Americas .

look at the KKK [christians ] the sward and arm of god , the baptist from Kansas , pat roberson , and more . the only difference between christians and muslims is the muslims will strap a bomb to them self and kill and the christians will just bomb clinics they don't like and shoot doctors .

its a hate full religion

No.

Want to know why?

Who would JESUS bomb?

how about the money changers ? he was a violent man . look at what his followers do , the catholic church rain of terror in the 14 15 and 16th centuries , then in the 17 hundred what they did to the natives in the Americas .

look at the KKK [christians ] the sward and arm of god , the baptist from Kansas , pat roberson , and more . the only difference between christians and muslims is the muslims will strap a bomb to them self and kill and the christians will just bomb clinics they don't like and shoot doctors .

its a hate full religion

None of these people you have written about here are following God. They follow their own ideas and this is called pagan worshiping.

No that is your definition of what you see as a "Christian" nation.
Not a nation the follows pretty simply the very simple teachings of Christ.

The United States is not a Christian nation, in that we don't have Christianity as an official religion. Some people consider the US a Christian nation, because the majority of those who practice religion calls themselves "christian'.

If we simply followed the essence of Christ's teachings, which is to love goodness and to love each other, I would have no problem with that.

Christian has come to mean a specific set of moral imperatives not universally adopted by all Americans.

There is a Dominonist movement to make the US a Christian nation and have Christians take over the government. I oppose that.

I would oppose that too my friend. In fact I would be perfectly happy if the slimy politicians would keep their greasy corrupt hands off my Religion altogether.

As to the moral imperatives even Sam Harris believes in moral absolutes, in his case the gague being happiness. Point being even the atheists are moving away from moral relativism

Last edited:
N o dout Christianity has had an sizeable influance on America. Too much in my opinion. This question has been hash over and over in forums for seammingly ever. The fact of the matter is this, the U.S. was created to NOT be a theocracy. It was designed to function as a incluesive form of government not within the excluesive superstition of a religion. One thing to consider, if all else is equal and the influence of Judism , Islam , Hindu or Wicca were as prevlent as Christianity would you feel as if your freedom was at risk? Faith is just that, faith, it is choosing to believe in something that lacks evidence. That is no way to maintain a fair and free democracy.

Exactly. Christians don't want to live in a Muslim theocracy any more than I do. I don't want to live in a Christian theocracy. I don't want to live in a Buddhist theocracy neither.

Some Christians won't be happy until Christianity is the official religion in America. Look out when then that happens.

That would be the worst thing to happen to Christianity in It's entire history.

Immie

This is one verse that many do not understand correctly. It states that you are saved by the grace of God through faith. However, it also says that the faith you have is a 'gift' of God given to us not by our own works.

This includes 'accepting' Christ. To accept something is also a work. Many say they are saved because they 'accepted' Christ into their lives. This is boasting in a work done by them, not giving credit to the Lord fully for their faith.

I always say that the Lord granted me faith so that I am 'able' to believe that He saved me. This gives all the credit to the Lord.

That's how I see it too.

If the choice is totally up to man then what motivates them to choose God? Are they smarter? Know a good thing when they see it? No matter what motives them on an earthly level it would still open the door for boasting which isn't an option as we know by the Scripture you quoted.

That is the one question an Arminian cannot answer. What made you choose God?

No.

Want to know why?

Who would JESUS bomb?

its a hate full religion

That isn't true of the Religion and It's teachings.

I do agree there are Christians that are full of hate. I don't get why everyone expects Christians to be so perfect. 99,99999% of Christians would never engage in the acts you list in that last paragraph. Some hate filled ignorant asshole shoots an abortion doctor, who himself happened to be a Christian too, and now we are a Religion full of hate. I respectfully disagree.

Last edited:

No.

Want to know why?

Who would JESUS bomb?

its a hate full religion

None of these people you have written about here are following God. They follow their own ideas and this is called pagan worshiping.

what a load of crap . to christian the church is god ,
and most were not pagans , lot at least in Spain were incorporating judaism , you know the same religion jesus followed.
you em to denounce ever christian faith but your own . protestants did this too .

you really know nothing about pagans I see .

king jimmy rewrote the bible to suit his own needs so really that all religion is

Forum List

Back