Are there any dangers with skinny skyscrapers ?

Stann

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2021
I just read article about a skinny skyscraper that was built in New York City it's called the Steinway Tower. It is really skinny and very tall. I'm wondering what everybody like to be on the top of that building during hurricane force winds. Could the thing actually break and collapse ? Sure does look like it. I know it's a lot easier to break a twig and it is a branch of a tree. This building doesn't have any meat to it. I'm asking the experts out there what do you think thanks a lot. I read this in the Omaha world herald on Tuesday September 6th 2020. Omaha worldherald.com. If any of you have a picture of this building please post it. Thanks again, Stan.

I just read article about a skinny skyscraper that was built in New York City it's called the Steinway Tower. It is really skinny and very tall. I'm wondering what everybody like to be on the top of that building during hurricane force winds. Could the thing actually break and collapse ? Sure does look like it. I know it's a lot easier to break a twig and it is a branch of a tree. This building doesn't have any meat to it. I'm asking the experts out there what do you think thanks a lot. I read this in the Omaha world herald on Tuesday September 6th 2020. Omaha worldherald.com. If any of you have a picture of this building please post it. Thanks again, Stan.
"The top of the tower includes an 800-short-ton (710-long-ton; 730 t) tuned mass damper to provide stability against high winds or earthquakes."
Don't know what that means and not sure it would make me feel any better to be at the top in those situations.

"The top of the tower includes an 800-short-ton (710-long-ton; 730 t) tuned mass damper to provide stability against high winds or earthquakes."
Don't know what that means and not sure it would make me feel any better to be at the top in those situations.

It's basically a form of counterweight that reduces movement of the tower's upper levels due to anything that would cause it to move.

If these were approved in NYC, the DOB had consulting structural engineers review the plans. As long as nothing shady happened during that process, they should be fine.

It's basically a form of counterweight that reduces movement of the tower's upper levels due to anything that would cause it to move.

If these were approved in NYC, the DOB had consulting structural engineers review the plans. As long as nothing shady happened during that process, they should be fine.
I'm sure you're correct - still don't want to be in it at those times.

Exactly right. They design these building to yield and sway to the stresses allowing them to tolerate far more stress than a rigid steel or concrete building using a combination of elastomeric pads combined with the counterweight damper which transfers the energy from the storm into moving the weight in the opposite direction of the stress thereby cancelling out most of the motion.

I know they're safe today or they wouldn't be built. But we're in the age of drastic climate change. Storms are getting stronger and more irregular. and who knows where they're going to end up at. A newscaster here in Omaha or saying the other day if these tornadoes get any stronger they're going to have to up the scale that they're rated on. I was just reading 232 million years ago Eric had an unusually wet and warm.periiod for a million years and they believe that jump started the age of the dinosaurs. Could we be headed into something like that. Who knows. But I thought I was an interesting thought. It doesn't take much to get me going. Have a great day.

They said the building sprays one to two feet when it's windy. I'm glad they don't build skyscrapers like that here in Nebraska, it's windy practically all the time. When my mother first visited me here in Nebraska from Pennsylvania, it was exceptionally windy. The wind was howling. My mother was shocked and said what is that sound I said it's the wind she couldn't believe it.

They said the building sprays one to two feet when it's windy. I'm glad they don't build skyscrapers like that here in Nebraska, it's windy practically all the time. When my mother first visited me here in Nebraska from Pennsylvania, it was exceptionally windy. The wind was howling. My mother was shocked and said what is that sound I said it's the wind she couldn't believe it.
The building sways 1 to 2 ft. Doesn't that mean it's ways more at the top than it goes on the bottom.

I'm using an old copy of Microsoft's flight simulator ... it sure is hard to hit being skinny and all ... so that's a safety feature ... terrorists will aim for fatter buildings ...

I'm using an old copy of Microsoft's flight simulator ... it sure is hard to hit being skinny and all ... so that's a safety feature ... terrorists will aim for fatter buildings ...
That would be about my last concern if I was in a building and saw the chandelier above my kitchen table swaying back and forth a foot or two I'd get seasick. I bet they're going to have a lot of plumbing problems too. Pipes aren't meant to give that much. And I don't even like heights in the first place. So I guess it's a no-go for me from the beginning.

The Twin Towers were built to withstand high winds, swaying, and bending. But not airplanes impacting on them.

Architecture can be an awesome thing, but it can be abused and taken too far. Just because they CAN build it, doesn't mean they SHOULD build it.

I understand the infrastructure on sky scrapers that keep them from cracking in half or falling over.........but what I don't get is how the ones that are made out of stone and bricks don't crack and crumble when they sway and move.

The Twin Towers were built to withstand high winds, swaying, and bending. But not airplanes impacting on them.

Architecture can be an awesome thing, but it can be abused and taken too far. Just because they CAN build it, doesn't mean they SHOULD build it.

I understand the infrastructure on sky scrapers that keep them from cracking in half or falling over.........but what I don't get is how the ones that are made out of stone and bricks don't crack and crumble when they sway and move.
Good question. I built the fence with concrete post around my garden pond. I was only about 15 years ago and the concrete around the post is cracking. Probably from freezing and thawing. But we do have strong winds too.

Yes, the Steinway Tower is skinny.

1662697813858.jpeg

Last edited:
That would be about my last concern if I was in a building and saw the chandelier above my kitchen table swaying back and forth a foot or two I'd get seasick. I bet they're going to have a lot of plumbing problems too. Pipes aren't meant to give that much. And I don't even like heights in the first place. So I guess it's a no-go for me from the beginning.

Chandelier swing a foot or two in New York City? ... that's one big earthquake ... this one building falling down will be the least of your problems ...

Forum List

Back