Are Students Coddled? Schools Get Rid of 'F's

If you get fired at work YOUR FIRED. If you fail a class YOU FAILED. Thats reality. But we distance kids from reality in hopes that it builds their confidence. It does but the confidence is a false sense of security because they have not had to face an unsheltered world.

A lot of parents do seem to feel that way. But the thread title is misleading. The grade of F isn't going away. Instead the kids are getting a chance to rectify the situation. If they can and actually learn enough to get a passing grade where is the harm?

They had a perfectly good chance the first time around.

If you get fired at work YOUR FIRED. If you fail a class YOU FAILED. Thats reality. But we distance kids from reality in hopes that it builds their confidence. It does but the confidence is a false sense of security because they have not had to face an unsheltered world.
Again, where is the harm in the kids learning something? BTW, school isn't a job. Unless you want to start paying the little darlings to get good grades your point isn't valid.

Rav, school prepares you for the real world, right? Educates you so you can compete in the workforce and all?

Most jobs won't offer you a second chance if you do so poorly in your performance that it could be compared to getting an F in school. That's the worst you can do in school. If you screwed up something at work that worst that you could, you're probably going to lose your job. It's not very often you'll get a second chance.

Why place a false impression in children's minds that there is such a thing as a second chance in the real world? There almost always ISN'T.

That kind of safety net breeds mediocrity.

Rav, school prepares you for the real world, right? Educates you so you can compete in the workforce and all?

Most jobs won't offer you a second chance if you do so poorly in your performance that it could be compared to getting an F in school. That's the worst you can do in school. If you screwed up something at work that worst that you could, you're probably going to lose your job. It's not very often you'll get a second chance.

Why place a false impression in children's minds that there is such a thing as a second chance in the real world? There almost always ISN'T.

That kind of safety net breeds mediocrity.
Maybe. And certainly if your kids think school is the real world and they have no experience of the real world. School isn't the real world and it isn't meant to be the real world. It is meant to give you an education so you can function in the real world. Allowing kids to make up a failing grade is giving them an education.

Now if they were just passing the kids anyway I'd agree with you.

People seem to expect schools to raise their kids when in reality they only exist to provide an education.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the additional load for the teachers. What about the kids who turn the assignments in on time. How can we punish these two while glorifying the lazy student who didn't turn the assignment in on time or do it right the first time?

Some Fear Bad Grades May Encourage Dropouts, but Not Everyone Is Convinced

By EMILY FRIEDMAN
Dec. 5, 2008

For more students nationwide, the grading alphabet ends at "D," as school districts eliminate policies that allow children to be given failing marks.

At public schools in Grand Rapids, Mich., high school students will no longer receive "F"s but instead will earn the letter "H" when their work falls woefully short.

Superintendent Bernard Taylor told ABCNews.com that the "H" stands for "held," and is a system designed to give students a second chance on work that was not up to par.

"I never see anyone doing anything but punishing kids," said Taylor. "If the choice is between letting kids fail and giving them another opportunity to succeed, I'm going to err on the side of opportunity."

ABC News: Are Students Coddled? Schools Get Rid of 'F's

Once again the educrats come up with these ideas which to most logical minds would be completely asinine.

Does this sound like moving the deck chairs on the Titanic?
I'm old enough to remember when they changed it to an F. It used to be E, which, coincidentally, comes alphabetically after A, B, C and D. The idea back then was to emphasize that you had indeed Failed. You Fucked up you Fool.

And when you got int a fight they made you shake hands with the little bastard that hit you on the head with a rock from behind.

What about the additional load for the teachers. What about the kids who turn the assignments in on time. How can we punish these two while glorifying the lazy student who didn't turn the assignment in on time or do it right the first time?
How are you punishing the teachers or the other students? It doesn't affect them AT ALL. If teachers teach summer school, they get paid. If they teach online courses, they get paid. Is the job of the school to educate? I think it is.

Kids don't just fail classes out of laziness. Some of them fail a class simply because they can't think at seven in the morning. Why punish them for being teenagers?

Maybe we live on different planets but in my opinion there is nothing wrong with allowing a student to retake a class he or she failed especially if said child learns from the experience.

Maybe. And certainly if your kids think school is the real world and they have no experience of the real world. School isn't the real world and it isn't meant to be the real world. It is meant to give you an education so you can function in the real world. Allowing kids to make up a failing grade is giving them an education.

Now if they were just passing the kids anyway I'd agree with you.

People seem to expect schools to raise their kids when in reality they only exist to provide an education.

Only liberals expect schools to raise kids. My point is the opposite. You get a shot, like anyone else, to succeed in school. You fail, you deal with the failure. If you walk into a situation knowing that you'll have a second chance, you'll put forth minimal effort most likely because subconsciously you'll always know you can try again if you don't do well. That's ridiculous.

If school is preparing you for the real world, then school should not be offering you second chances because most likely, your future prospective boss WON'T BE.

None of you all went to school recently, I guess. We've had a grade of "I" for incomplete for as long as I can remember.

Only liberals expect schools to raise kids. My point is the opposite. You get a shot, like anyone else, to succeed in school. You fail, you deal with the failure. If you walk into a situation knowing that you'll have a second chance, you'll put forth minimal effort most likely because subconsciously you'll always know you can try again if you don't do well. That's ridiculous.

If school is preparing you for the real world, then school should not be offering you second chances because most likely, your future prospective boss WON'T BE.
I think you're crazy, Pauli. Most kids don't like repeating classes.

Not sure why you keep trying to equate school with the real world. Liberals don't expect schools to raise their kids. It sounds like you do, frankly. I prefer mine get educated and learn about the real world through gainful employment and volunteer work.

Kids don't just fail classes out of laziness. Some of them fail a class simply because they can't think at seven in the morning. Why punish them for being teenagers?

Sure they do.

As for the whole 7am thing, they better get used to getting up earlier than that for the breakfast shift at McDonalds or the construction job if they keep failing.

Life is tough.

Indeed your eminence. Every grade is earned whether an A or an F. Some parents dont want to think of their kids as failures. But when the kid is failing so is the PARENT(S).

And where does dyslexia fit into your idea? As a dyslexic, I can tell you it wasn't my parents that caused me to get F's in spelling and writing. It was the fact that I learn different. I wasn't taught the tools to manage it until college. I still hate to put pen to paper but as you can tell my spelling isn't that much of an issue today.

I don't agree with not giving the F. Grade them as you see them, how ever all the F's come with a reason. Be it lack of parental support or a learning disability, it needs to be addressed. Dyslexia is not being addressed at all. I've been told it's an 'archaic' term.

Giving the child a sugar coated grade isn't going to anything positive. It's going to give the child a false sense of reality. They should take the signs of the child's struggling and find out why. Blaming the parents only isn't the solution. Blaming the teachers only isn't the solution. Finding out the whys and correcting them is.

In some instances, I was able to plead my case to a teacher for mercy, and re-take a test. That was based on the teacher's disgretion, though. There were times I was denied. Usually my pleas fell on deaf ears. But my grades were what I made them. No one owed me a second chance. I had the same opportunity to succeed as the student who got an A on the test. I probably should have paid more attention during lecture, or studied the materials more.

I'm old enough to remember when they changed it to an F. It used to be E, which, coincidentally, comes alphabetically after A, B, C and D. The idea back then was to emphasize that you had indeed Failed. You Fucked up you Fool.

And when you got int a fight they made you shake hands with the little bastard that hit you on the head with a rock from behind.

I'm crying and laughing at the same time if that is possible.

And where does dyslexia fit into your idea? As a dyslexic, I can tell you it wasn't my parents that caused me to get F's in spelling and writing. It was the fact that I learn different. I wasn't taught the tools to manage it until college. I still hate to put pen to paper but as you can tell my spelling isn't that much of an issue today.

I don't agree with not giving the F. Grade them as you see them, how ever all the F's come with a reason. Be it lack of parental support or a learning disability, it needs to be addressed. Dyslexia is not being addressed at all. I've been told it's an 'archaic' term.

Giving the child a sugar coated grade isn't going to anything positive. It's going to give the child a false sense of reality. They should take the signs of the child's struggling and find out why. Blaming the parents only isn't the solution. Blaming the teachers only isn't the solution. Finding out the whys and correcting them is.

Yeah now we are talking about special needs not the average kid. Of course that would call for different measures.

Sure they do.

As for the whole 7am thing, they better get used to getting up earlier than that for the breakfast shift at McDonalds or the construction job if they keep failing.

Life is tough.
lol. I had to start at 7 am as well and was failing english literature. My teacher was smart enough to know that it was the hour of the day and not my intelligence and switched me to a later class. After that I got straight As.

Never worked at McDonalds in my life and I graduated in the top 5% of a hugely populated school.

Life is tough, that is true. All the more reason that schools should educate people.

I think you're crazy, Pauli. Most kids don't like repeating classes.

Not sure why you keep trying to equate school with the real world. Liberals don't expect schools to raise their kids. It sounds like you do, frankly. I prefer mine get educated and learn about the real world through gainful employment and volunteer work.

Not liking to repeat a class is a pretty good reason to try hard the first time around.

The students who were coddled with second chances are going to be really disappointed when the boss fires them the first time they break a computer, or cause a grease fire at the grill.

Not liking to repeat a class is a pretty good reason to try hard the first time around.

The students who were coddled with second chances are going to be really disappointed when the boss fires them the first time they break a computer, or cause a grease fire at the grill.
So? At least they will have an education and can find another job.

Forum List

Back