Are Students Coddled? Schools Get Rid of 'F's

Discussion in 'Education' started by PoliticalChic, Dec 10, 2008.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,095
    Some Fear Bad Grades May Encourage Dropouts, but Not Everyone Is Convinced

By EMILY FRIEDMAN
    Dec. 5, 2008

For more students nationwide, the grading alphabet ends at "D," as school districts eliminate policies that allow children to be given failing marks.

At public schools in Grand Rapids, Mich., high school students will no longer receive "F"s but instead will earn the letter "H" when their work falls woefully short.

Superintendent Bernard Taylor told ABCNews.com that the "H" stands for "held," and is a system designed to give students a second chance on work that was not up to par.

"I never see anyone doing anything but punishing kids," said Taylor. "If the choice is between letting kids fail and giving them another opportunity to succeed, I'm going to err on the side of opportunity."

ABC News: Are Students Coddled? Schools Get Rid of 'F's

Once again the educrats come up with these ideas which to most logical minds would be completely asinine.

Does this sound like moving the deck chairs on the Titanic?

2. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    UGH... At what point do we all march into the school board meetings and demand better?

Oh wait, I'm already doing that. If this pisses you off, get involved. The board meetings are open to the public.

3. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,095
    If parents didn't need day care, they should go to the schools and protest. If most families had a single provider, parents wouldn't be so desperate to leave their children in some of these-God-forsaken schools. I don't mean the actual physical conditions -- I think you know what I mean.

The people running the schools are coming up with these "wonderful" ideas, kind of makes you wonder what kind of teachers we have as well. I don't mean to disparage teachers because I've known some great ones, and someone very close to me is a teacher as well. But most of them are no more educated than the students they teach.

There needs to be an education revolution and I hope that Obama would have the boldness and tenacity to take on such a challenge.

4. Angel Heart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    You do know that there's more control at the state level when it comes to things like this. The school board level is even better. Only about 5% of school budgets come from the Feds. Most comes from state and local taxes.

5. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,095
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen any great leadership on the local level.

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    What's the problem? Do you think that a student shouldn't be given some help to achieve what they need? Shouldn't they be given some more time to get there? It's not an open cheque, there is a limit and it seems to be reasonable.

7. Mr. President

Mr. President BOARD PRESIDENT..carry on

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +290
    This is stupid. An extra twelve weeks to do homework. Well hell let me take a twelve week extension on every assignment I have laugh at the due date and tell the teacher I'll do it on my time not yours. Then when 30 students are turning in 3 months worth of assignments on the same day and the teachers can't get grades out we can go to the parent teacher conference and talk about the teacher's incompetence.

8. Angel Heart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Ever thought of being that leadership? I'm finding if there's inadequate leadership, it's actually easier to get things done. They don't know what to think when a real leader comes in and starts changing things.

9. KGB

KGB VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +261
    another example of liberal hand holding run amuck.....no wonder kids today can't handle failure when they become adults.....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Problem with the article is that it's taking grabs from various districts and lumping them together. Yes, one of the districts is using this for homework (and I have to point out that the idea of "homework" is worth a discussion of itself) but in the first example - Grand Rapids - that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't see a problem with this approach if it helps students to get to where they need to be. In the article the question is along the lines of are students mollycoddled? That's so the rest of us who went through more rigid educational regimes and may well have suffered from them can look at today's students and tell them to "man up".