Are pro golf "stars" sissies??

Discussion in 'Sports' started by FJO, Apr 24, 2012.

1. FJO

FJO Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,614
    Why would a pro golfer need somebody to carry his bag?

Why would the same golf pro demand utter silence from the poor schmucks (known, politically correctly as the 'gallery') who pay his exorbitant pay to be silent when he tees off or putts?

Are they sissies? Are they not man enough to look after themselves? Can they not ignore and rise above crowd noise?

Football players can. Basketball players can. Hockey players can.

Maybe these golf pros can look for some sympathy from pro bowlers who are just like them.

What do you think?

2. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA97kzai-Ew]Miller Lite Ad Full Contact Golf - YouTube[/ame]

3. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,046
    There's a lot more to a caddie's job than carrying the bag. It's the caddie's job to read the course and weather conditions, recommend the shot, and oversee the bag. It's the golfer's job to hit the ball. Having a good caddie makes the game a far more enjoyable and rewarding experience. For a pro golfer, the relationship is critical to improving their chances at earning a living for both the golfer and caddie.

Because golf is a gentleman's game. It is considered rude and unprofessional to distract a golfer during his swing, be it a pro or first time amateur. Everyone in the gallery understands this.

How does a tradition of decorum on the course equate to "looking for sympathy"? Never bowled so I can't really say why bowlers are "just like" golfers...but on the surface, the comparison seems silly.

Why has this got your goat? Can you not simply avoid the game? Alternatively, you are free to start your own golf course where rude treatment of players and loud, foul mouthed spectator are welcome. Good luck.

4. FJO

FJO Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,614
    So, I guess you are saying that people who attend football games, baseball games, basketball games, hockey games, and the people who are the stars and participants of these games are not ladies and gentlemen, but nothing but uncouth slobs?

Are you also implying/saying that without the caddie the pro golfer would have a score just a bit more realistic and similar to the scores of us poor schmucks who are men enough to look after our own golf bags and have the intelligence to read the course, the weather conditions and make up our own minds to use the right club and then follow up without somebody holding our hands?

So, you say, it is the (pro) golfer's job to hit the ball. OK. A guy who plays golf seven days a week should NEVER and I mean NEVER miss the fairway from the tee. Should NEVER, I mean NEVER miss a four foot putt. Not even with adoring crowds cheering, which the "gentleman", obviously considers nothing but rude noise from unwashed plebians.

No, it is not something that "got my goat". It just something that got me thinking that why is it that football kickers whose kick may determine a Super Bowl Championship or basketball players whose free throw can decide an NBA championship or baseball batters whose hit or miss may be the determining factor or a World Series Championship can be man enough to show respect to their supporters and not demanding to shut up, when they do their job, while pro golfers (undeniably gentlemen, like the philanderer Tiger Woods) demand silence when they do theirs.

Just so that you know, I am an old guy and reasonably good bowler and a poor golfer. It never occured to me to demand silence when I swing my golf club or deliver my bowling ball. I enjoy both game by participating or watching on TV. And, to quote you, the comparison between pro golfer and pro bowlers - both demanding silent adoration from the spectators - is silly only to those who have no experience.

Anyways, thanks for your opinion. If and when I design, build and start my own golf course, you will be among the first guests to get a free pass. I will guarantee no obedient silence, however.

5. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,905
    To compare golfers to real athletes like basketball players, hockey players, and football players is ridiculos.

6. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    Fuckin' golfers. Bunch of pussies.

The hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball coming at you at 90+ mph. But do pro ballplyers demand slience?

7. KevinWestern

KevinWestern Hello

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +535
    I think golf is one of the most difficult sports in the world to become the best at. Everything is on one single person - you. The pressure, the clutch shots, the decision making, ect, all you.

In football, hockey, baseball, basketball, ect, you work alongside a team with guidance from a huge staff of people. If you're having an off day, your teammates pick up the slack. If you're having a bad quarter, or period, you can sit out and recover.

But in golf, everything is up to you.

In order to win a single PGA event (against the best golfers in the world), you have to play 72 consecutive holes without making any major mistakes. You have to battle against unique situations with every single shot (the playing field in football, baseball, and hockey - for example - stays relatively consistent wherever you go). Also, golfers make their cash on a per tournament basis (performance based) - not salaried like other sports.

These guys are masters of nerve, and are all around awesome at what they do. To call every pro golfer a "pussy" is an idiotic statement.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  8. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    That's funny, can you explain why athletes from all "sports" play golf during their down time and most claim that the pressure they feel over a 3 foot putt is equal to or greater than anytime in the "sport" that they play professionally. As for the manly games......really?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    [​IMG]

10. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    It's really hard for me to consider golf as a sport...