Are new cars just too much for us old jerks?

UPDATE: When you're right, you're right. So, I haven't had enough time with it to fine tune my 'experience' with the spaceship automobile (READ: I refuse to create a 'profile' to drive a fucking car. C'mon man), but so far so good.

1. It hauls so much more ass than I expected for a grocery getter. From a standstill, you can stomp the pedal and it usually rockets off still in EV mode. Regular engine kicks in at a certain rev, and you're at 60 in a little over 8 seconds. Impressive.
2. 42.1 MPG average thus far! Even more impressive.
3. When you're right, you're right. Nice, quiet country roads are my backyard. I believe this vehicle currently fixes your power line challenge with a forward facing radar. BUT, when lane control assist almost put me into a concrete barrier because it wanted to fight me in a construction zone, I elected to turn that shit OFF.
4. It looks exactly like a catfish. I mean exactly. Or, maybe an electric shaver. Yeah, it looks exactly like an electric shaver. I just need to remember in the sea of parking lots filled with electric shavers, mine's red.
5. Super comfortable. Pretty happy with it. :113: :113:
UPDATE #2: CONS

1. The all digital touchscreen dash has it's drawbacks. My truck has a touchscreen too, but it also has a redundant set of physical buttons/knobs/switches right next to the screen, so I hardly ever have a need to touch it. This doesn't have that, so the screen is going to become filthy. (Because I'm filthy) The later model of this vehicle right before the model facelift had exactly the redundancy controls I described above. Eliminated for the '23 year. Sad.
2. The radar control in this vehicle can just fuck right off. It is literally attached to the windscreen. You get a chip in your windshield? Gotta replace the radar too (2k), because it's fucking literally attached to the windscreen. It's also a visual obstruction, because it sits just behind the rear view mirror, pretty much obstructing everything in the top center of the windshield. Remember, I turned the functionality of this piece OFF.
3. I stand by the 'cell phone on four wheels' sentiment. Too fucking many things to interact with, too intrusive, and none of it aids in driving.

There's something psychological goin on here with hybrid styling. Have you noticed the BIG ASS GRILLS on these things? Maybe why it looks like a catfish. LOL. And what's the purpose of that when you dont have MUCH under the hood and not a lot to cool?
I have. The grill on this model is like twice the size of the previous body style. Dude. There is literally two engines under the hood of this dragster powerhouse thrilla from South Korilla. One gas, one electric. The transition between them is left up to the car. And the transitions are seamless so far. However, it's a little strange doing 50 in electric mode, especially running through a tunnel or an old train trestle near my home. It. Makes. No. Noise. Freaking unsettling.
Aint no way I'm creating a profile or linking more than a phone to the console. I pity people who sync all their devices or buy apps that run in the cloud. Because everytime you DO that -- you're giving another company access to ALL of your stuff. And they WILL abuse it and you...
Ain't dat da troof. I'm still in 'guest mode' in this spaceship automobile. I have a feeling that's my permanent identity. I drew the line at bluetooth. I give it nothing more.

I have. The grill on this model is like twice the size of the previous body style. Dude. There is literally two engines under the hood of this dragster powerhouse thrilla from South Korilla. One gas, one electric. The transition between them is left up to the car. And the transitions are seamless so far. However, it's a little strange doing 50 in electric mode, especially running through a tunnel or an old train trestle near my home. It. Makes. No. Noise. Freaking unsettling.

Ain't dat da troof. I'm still in 'guest mode' in this spaceship automobile. I have a feeling that's my permanent identity. I drew the line at bluetooth. I give it nothing more.

Cant hook up your hands-free phone to the entertainment system without the Bluetooth. I think that's a pretty safe and convenient concession. But like I said -- My car with an IQ of about 35, didn't come with built-in nav - and Google has EATEN UP the GPS mapping companies on mobile phones that make route mapping and I refused to be googled. SO -- I bought a Garmin for $170 and I LOVE the fact it's not cluttering my route screen and alerts for every hamburger stand that I pass by.

I'm the same age as Trump.
My car is classed by the climate cultists as a 'clunker'.
Was it Obama who invented the "cash for clunkers" scheme, to get cars more than 10 years old off the roads?
My car is 20 years old, Toyota, good condition, runs well, no rust, paintwork very good.
New cars *frighten* me. Disconnect the battery and you have to reset everything.
They're all "too hard". My eyes glaze over just looking at all the instructions. :)

But, if I lived in America and had the money, I would buy, and make a special effort to learn how to operate, a new Toyota Tundra 1794 edition. Designed in Michigan and built in Texas.

I prefer THIS kind of instrument panel ...

SV-009-RV9.jpg

There is no question about it, newer cars are better than ever. There are not many (if any) cars out there that won't run for 200k miles without any major repairs, if properly maintained, and that is minimal.

They have solved the problem of RUST. Here in Western PA, half the cars you would buy in the 60's and 70's were showing rust within three years of new. Fuel economy is off the charts (if you want it), and performance is just as good with a turbo four today as it was with a typical V8 in the 60's. My four cylinder BMW is faster than my '68 GTO was, and gets 26mpg around town.

What bothers me is that I am too stupid to take advantage of all the tech features the car has. Just like with my phone and my TV.

I got a new (to me) car about 6 months ago, and have been pretty happy with my purchase. It's a basic Honda Civic EX 4dr sedan. Has a decent interior (leather), moonroof, and cruise control. Basically everything I wanted in a car to get me from place to place. Found out later as I was going through the owner manual (yes, the previous owner had all the manuals which was GREAT), that it also has heated seats, power mirrors that are heated (good for winter) and power door locks and windows. Pretty much at the edge of useful tech without having all the other crap that cars nowadays have. I can replace the spark plugs, light bulbs, and do basic maintenance myself, and that's really all I needed. And, from watching various YouTube videos, it appears that if something needs to be fixed (outside of major stuff), it's pretty much modular, so it's plug and play for replacing most parts.

But, after driving my fiancee's Nissan Versa, there were a couple of bells and whistles I decided I wanted. A backup camera is really nice to have, so is Bluetooth for the stereo. My car didn't have either of those, but you can get those online for a reasonable price. I now have a backup camera (Foxpro wireless that is solar powered, so REALLY easy to install and maintain, just bolt it to the back plate, plug in the monitor to your cigarette lighter and off ya go. Solar has kept it at full battery for the past 6 months after initial charging, and it works great), as well as got a Bluetooth FM transmitter so I can answer my phone calls while driving and use streaming music from my phone (unlimited data thank goodness as I use it instead of my radio). But, it's got all the basics without all the other distracting crap that most cars nowdays have. When I was looking for a car, I decided that I didn't need all the other crap that seems to be standard, as it looks like it could be a bit of a hassle on the road. The engine has a timing chain (rather than the belts that I've heard can be a nightmare if they break, usually without warning), and the automatic transmission is one that can be fixed if needed (not one of those CVT nightmares), as well as you can check the fluid levels and add as needed if required. Hondas have a reliability reputation that says they are pretty much bulletproof if you take the time for basic maintenance and will last a long time. Seen some of the same model as mine with over 250,000 miles on them that are still being sold for a fair amount, so I feel like mine will last for a few years more at least. Especially when you consider that the previous owner must have babied it as it looks almost brand new, and it's a 2008.

Driver assist? Don't need it. Keep the alignment good and pay attention to driving and you're golden. Warning beep for getting too close to something? Again, pay attention to your driving and you won't need it.

It seems like cars nowadays are getting built for dumb drivers who pay more attention to their phones or whatever else they have, rather than driving. Part of the driving experience for me is not just getting to where I'm going, but also enjoying the trip and seeing what is along the road.

Oh yeah, it also has a door lock that uses a key on the driver's door only, so you can get into it if the battery on the fob dies, as well as has a key that you put in the ignition to start it. Personally? Because of the battery possibly going out, I don't trust fobs for unlocking or starting my car. I like the action of putting the key in the steering column and turning it so that I know I've started the car and am fixing to drive somewhere. Kind of a mental thing, but hey.............I'm old. I still catch myself on occasion, looking for the door knob to lock my car (it doesn't have one) but I'm getting over that. Hitting the button is kind of convenient.

Last edited:
There is no question about it, newer cars are better than ever. There are not many (if any) cars out there that won't run for 200k miles without any major repairs, if properly maintained, and that is minimal.

They have solved the problem of RUST. Here in Western PA, half the cars you would buy in the 60's and 70's were showing rust within three years of new. Fuel economy is off the charts (if you want it), and performance is just as good with a turbo four today as it was with a typical V8 in the 60's. My four cylinder BMW is faster than my '68 GTO was, and gets 26mpg around town.

What bothers me is that I am too stupid to take advantage of all the tech features the car has. Just like with my phone and my TV.
/——-/ You’re not stupid, maybe intimidated. Take one tech feature at a time, watch YouTube videos about it and use it until you’re comfortable. Then, move on to the next one. It will be a bit easier to learn because your comfort level will increase over time.
That’s how I learned word processing on my PC that lead to me self publishing books.

So I just bought a brand spanking new hybrid SUV for my wife. South Korean company. Great gas mileage. Still costs close to $40k (too expensive) because my better half 'just had to have' a certain trim level package. Whatever,.It's what she wanted, and she got it. So far, very, very nice fit and finish. Interior materials (leather seats, shiny plastic) are way higher quality then I ever expected. The entire dash is digital, and the entertainment system easily connects to my mobile device and even charges it. Rocking the fucking future, right? Meh. I have that tech in my '97 Jeep. It's seems the aftermarket tech has taken over new vehicles now. :dunno:

My family has several vehicles. I bought a new truck last year. Average age of the rest (non new) of our vehicles? 19.5 yrs. old. I've personally wrenched on all of them.

So, this new hybrid SUV is supposed to be 'the future' to a genuine knuckledagger like me. So far, it pretty much seems to be a mobile phone on 4 wheels. When the dealer's 'instruction' was to immediately pair my mobile device to it to get 'the full experience' of this vehicle, I realized how out of touch with a new hybrid (and apparently, new cars in general now) I truly was. My wife asked me to drive it. The car has a push button start. I pushed the button, nothing happens. I push it again. And again. And again like a mental patient. What a fucking piece of shit, right?

Wrong. The car is a hybrid. It pretty much starts out in electric mode, and I'm a complete dope. I just needed to move the shiny 'transmission' selector knob to 'D', and It was ready to go the whole time! Cool. :113: Yes, I'm quite stupid at times.

The presentation of the tech when sitting in the car is impressive, but can be a bit of a sensory overload. There are oodles of unnecessary shit (to me, but remember, I'm a complete dope ^^) in this automobile. There are so many computer controlled options, and little to no manual options. Did I need a daily affirmation from my car that I made the right choice in buying this car? Fuck no. Would I like lane assistance, computer controlled cruise control (including braking) , and passenger alert assist? Fuck no. Would I like to call 911, or speak to a live representative? How about neither. Let me further illustrate, this car has passenger alert assist. Am I driving an 18-wheeler? No. But this car seems to think it's smarter than it's driver.

And it probably is, who knows. Stay tuned. I'll update the experience with it when I can. I like simple. Wife likes other.
Why would anyone buy an EV or a Hybrid? Cuz the government says so? Honestly, hope you love the car but what is pissing me off is that the current administration is essentially mandating that car manufacturers completely abandon the combustion engine by 2035. That's insane.

Why would anyone buy an EV or a Hybrid? Cuz the government says so? Honestly, hope you love the car but what is pissing me off is that the current administration is essentially mandating that car manufacturers completely abandon the combustion engine by 2035. That's insane.
/-----/When push comes to shove, many mandates get modified or overturned. A Republican administration could reject that mandate long before the deadline. But, it is a warning sign of things to come if the enviro wackos get their way.

Why would anyone buy a hybrid? Probably because they like the idea of 60 to 80 mpg.

As far as mandating that that car manufacturers completely abandon the combustion engine by 2035? That isn't completely correct. Biden wants the cars in the government's fleet to be electric by 2035. If a private person wants to buy a gas powered vehicle, I'm pretty sure they will still be able to do so. It's just that he wants all the vehicles that the government operates to be electric. You gotta stop with the hyperbolic fear mongering dude.

Why would anyone buy a hybrid? Probably because they like the idea of 60 to 80 mpg.

As far as mandating that that car manufacturers completely abandon the combustion engine by 2035? That isn't completely correct. Biden wants the cars in the government's fleet to be electric by 2035. If a private person wants to buy a gas powered vehicle, I'm pretty sure they will still be able to do so. It's just that he wants all the vehicles that the government operates to be electric. You gotta stop with the hyperbolic fear mongering dude.
Equivalent energy usage for a Tesla is 12 MPG

People do not want EVs. They have been available for over a decade and can barely crack 1% of the automobile market.
EVs are for fags, hippies, and earth worshipping snow flakes.

You want an EV? Fine, but Joe Biden should not be mandating ridiculous EPA and Mileage standards on Automobile manufacturers so that they have no choice in the products the manufacture but what The Government tells them to.

People do not want EVs. They have been available for over a decade and can barely crack 1% of the automobile market.
EVs are for fags, hippies, and earth worshipping snow flakes.

You want an EV? Fine, but Joe Biden should not be mandating ridiculous EPA and Mileage standards on Automobile manufacturers so that they have no choice in the products the manufacture but what The Government tells them to.

Might wanna rethink your statement. There are a lot of people who would like to have an EV. Quieter, less maintenance than an internal combustion engine, as well as has more torque and power to the wheels quicker. Only problem is, there is not much in the way of infrastructure for them. Quick charge and charging stations aren't as accessible and available as gas stations. If there were the same infrastructure for EV's as there is for gas, there would be a lot more EV's on the road.

And no, Biden isn't trying to get rid of gas engines, he's just trying to get the government to switch to them by 2035. And car manufacturers can still make what they want. You're just using hyperbolic fear mongering to try to prove your point.

Might wanna rethink your statement. There are a lot of people who would like to have an EV. Quieter, less maintenance than an internal combustion engine, as well as has more torque and power to the wheels quicker. Only problem is, there is not much in the way of infrastructure for them. Quick charge and charging stations aren't as accessible and available as gas stations. If there were the same infrastructure for EV's as there is for gas, there would be a lot more EV's on the road.

And no, Biden isn't trying to get rid of gas engines, he's just trying to get the government to switch to them by 2035. And car manufacturers can still make what they want. You're just using hyperbolic fear mongering to try to prove your point.
  • Nothing like having to buy a car twice every 7-10 years because you are going to have to plunk down $20-$30k to replace the batteries.
  • Additionally the investment we have to make in the Electrical Grid to support the Energy Sucking Vampires is enormous.
    • The entire electrical grid has to have Trillions of dollars dumped into it to support supercharging everywhere.
  • Homes also will have to have their electrical service upgraded to 200 AMP 200 V. You gonna pay for that?
  • Then there are the roads and bridges we are going to have to rebuild. Our entire road system and bridges will have to be re-engineered to add 8,000 lbs of load capacity to them. More Trillions of Dollars.
  • Oh, we aren't done yet. You will have to create an additional 400 Toxic Lithium Pit Mines, and Build 3,000 Nuclear Power plants all to accommodate a Green Freak Religious Cult.

So, you might want to rethink YOUR STATEMENT.
EVs are bad for the economy, bad for the environment, and bad for manufacturing.

Because I drive almost 1000 miles a week, gas is expensive and my diesel truck doesn't get 40 mpg.

So I just bought a brand spanking new hybrid SUV for my wife. South Korean company. Great gas mileage. Still costs close to $40k (too expensive) because my better half 'just had to have' a certain trim level package. Whatever,.It's what she wanted, and she got it. So far, very, very nice fit and finish. Interior materials (leather seats, shiny plastic) are way higher quality then I ever expected. The entire dash is digital, and the entertainment system easily connects to my mobile device and even charges it. Rocking the fucking future, right? Meh. I have that tech in my '97 Jeep. It's seems the aftermarket tech has taken over new vehicles now. :dunno:

My family has several vehicles. I bought a new truck last year. Average age of the rest (non new) of our vehicles? 19.5 yrs. old. I've personally wrenched on all of them.

So, this new hybrid SUV is supposed to be 'the future' to a genuine knuckledagger like me. So far, it pretty much seems to be a mobile phone on 4 wheels. When the dealer's 'instruction' was to immediately pair my mobile device to it to get 'the full experience' of this vehicle, I realized how out of touch with a new hybrid (and apparently, new cars in general now) I truly was. My wife asked me to drive it. The car has a push button start. I pushed the button, nothing happens. I push it again. And again. And again like a mental patient. What a fucking piece of shit, right?

Wrong. The car is a hybrid. It pretty much starts out in electric mode, and I'm a complete dope. I just needed to move the shiny 'transmission' selector knob to 'D', and It was ready to go the whole time! Cool. :113: Yes, I'm quite stupid at times.

The presentation of the tech when sitting in the car is impressive, but can be a bit of a sensory overload. There are oodles of unnecessary shit (to me, but remember, I'm a complete dope ^^) in this automobile. There are so many computer controlled options, and little to no manual options. Did I need a daily affirmation from my car that I made the right choice in buying this car? Fuck no. Would I like lane assistance, computer controlled cruise control (including braking) , and passenger alert assist? Fuck no. Would I like to call 911, or speak to a live representative? How about neither. Let me further illustrate, this car has passenger alert assist. Am I driving an 18-wheeler? No. But this car seems to think it's smarter than it's driver.

And it probably is, who knows. Stay tuned. I'll update the experience with it when I can. I like simple. Wife likes other.
Boomer here.

We bought a top of the line Honda Pilot last year.

I bet we aren't using half of the bells and whistles the vehicle has because we can't figure them out. And I have a MS in Engineering.

Boomer here.

We bought a top of the line Honda Pilot last year.

I bet we aren't using half of the bells and whistles the vehicle has because we can't figure them out. And I have a MS in Engineering.

Hell, I just recently acquired a 2008 Honda Civic EX sedan, and over 6 months later, I'm still learning and discovering new things it has. (The last "new" car I had previously was something from the late 80's).

One of the coolest features I found? The back seats fold down like an SUV's, and when you do that, combined with the trunk space, you can haul a LOT of stuff if you have to. Matter of fact, I could probably fold down the back seats and sleep back there if I was on a long road trip.

Forum List

Back