Are natural rights for right wingers only?

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
I know the arguments about natural rights have been made about conservative causes but is the same concept only reserved for right wingers issues only? Think about a natural law argument for smoking dope, smoking dope, smoking dope (sorry I can't think of any other activity lefties like to do more), gay marriage, and a host of any other issue. It is possible to make an argument that a person has the inalienable right to do these things and have the right to do so based on those grounds but the catch is that other people do not have to accept your lifestyle. It is their 'natural right' to reject your gay marriage or your dope smoking lifestyle. Two people can go in two different directions as long as they don't interfere with the inalienable rights of the other hence individual liberty.

I believe the left will never accept this because, being the collectivist that they are, believe that everyone must agree on the same thing. They can't understand that one person can be for gay marriage and another has an equal right to reject it based on whatever reasoning they have. Its the separation they can't handle.

Last edited:
Well the "right" has done a pretty poor job of protecting natural rights over the years so I would say no natural rights aren't "just for right wingers only."

Forum List

Back