Are most people good or evil?

Do you say that based on your anecdotal experiences, or have you looked further into it?

Personally, Iā€™m not sure what the answer to the OP is.

It's simple instinct. The whole False Dichotomy of "good and evil" is intrinsically bullshitious, as you noted in your OP, so everything manifests as some balance. It's just more work to tilt that balance to "Bad". Who wants more work.

Interesting

Not really. It's just stating the obvious.

Just a reminder if you donā€™t know, your perception isnā€™t fact.

You asked for opinions.

Now you want to whine that you got one?

Fuck outta here.

I didnā€™t whine that I got your opinion, asshole, I even thanked you for it. Then you went on to explain the answer is ā€œobviousā€, as if your opinion is a matter of fact.

obviously no one is either entirely good or entirely evil. I consider a good person someone who has more good in them than bad, and vice versa for evil.
Good and evil are subjective terms. You may see something as good that I see as evil. I think most people act in a manner they think is right.

obviously no one is either entirely good or entirely evil. I consider a good person someone who has more good in them than bad, and vice versa for evil.

Your question infers a religious component, since "good" and "evil" must be measured against the Ultimate Good: God.

If man is the ultimate decider of what is good and evil then the terms mean nothing: They are up for grabs to whatever the politically correct bullshit of the day is.

But if God is the Ultimate Good then we have the ultimate standard to measure against.

So, is your question religious in nature?

Good and evil are subjective terms........

See what I mean? They are only subjective when you have no OBJECTIVE good to measure them against.

In fact, they are NOT subjective, because the Ultimate Truth, God, has told us what good and evil is.

Your question infers a religious component, since "good" and "evil" must be measured against the Ultimate Good: God.

If man is the ultimate decider of what is good and evil then the terms mean nothing: They are up for grabs to whatever the politically correct bullshit of the day is.

But if God is the Ultimate Good then we have the ultimate standard to measure against.

See what I mean? They are only subjective when you have no OBJECTIVE good to measure them against.

In fact, they are NOT subjective, because the Ultimate Truth, God, has told us what good and evil is.

The Idea of morality in our country comes directly from the Judeo Christian creed. Whether or not people are religious, religion is the foundation for our universal belief system.

The Idea of morality in our country comes directly from the Judeo Christian creed. Whether or not people are religious, religion is the foundation for our universal belief system.

Morality has been around a fuck of a lot longer than that.

It's simple instinct. The whole False Dichotomy of "good and evil" is intrinsically bullshitious, as you noted in your OP, so everything manifests as some balance. It's just more work to tilt that balance to "Bad". Who wants more work.

Interesting

Not really. It's just stating the obvious.

Just a reminder if you donā€™t know, your perception isnā€™t fact.

You asked for opinions.

Now you want to whine that you got one?

Fuck outta here.

I didnā€™t whine that I got your opinion, asshole, I even thanked you for it. Then you went on to explain the answer is ā€œobviousā€, as if your opinion is a matter of fact.

Why the fuck would I be holding an opinion if I didn't believe in it?

Okay, fair enough. You are saying that even non-religious people measure good and evil by the standard set by Judeo Christian culture.

Okay. The answer to your question is that nobody is intrinsically evil in and of themselves. Evil behavior and Good behavior are learned. More importantly, your conscience is formed by you, it does not just come naturally. Formation of conscience comes by way of learning what is good and then living accordingly.

This is why liberty and freedom are always one generation away from being lost. It just takes one generation to totally destroy the concepts of good and evil in the next generation. We see that today, young kids behaving in some of the most inexplicably evil ways, and believing evil things that would have been unheard of when I was young.

EDIT: A quick look at the person who is tagging your post and my post as "funny" is a great example of a person with a malformed conscience.

The chinese donā€™t care. They lie, cheat, and steal because religion isnā€™t ingrained in there thinking. Weā€™re not born with most of our values, weā€™re taught them.

This is like asking if a cat, dog or chimpanzee is basically "good or evil."

A human is, as a human does.

Okay, fair enough. You are saying that even non-religious people measure good and evil by the standard set by Judeo Christian culture.

Okay. The answer to your question is that nobody is intrinsically evil in and of themselves. Evil behavior and Good behavior are learned. More importantly, your conscience is formed by you, it does not just come naturally. Formation of conscience comes by way of learning what is good and then living accordingly.

This is why liberty and freedom are always one generation away from being lost. It just takes one generation to totally destroy the concepts of good and evil in the next generation. We see that today, young kids behaving in some of the most inexplicably evil ways, and believing evil things that would have been unheard of when I was young.

So I take it you have a cynical answer to the question in the OP?

The chinese donā€™t care. They lie, cheat, and steal because religion isnā€™t ingrained in there thinking. Weā€™re not born with most of our values, weā€™re taught them.

"The chinese [sic] --- who don't even merit an uppercase proper name styling --- "lie, cheat and steal", do they? :rofl:

Oh do go on, tell us more about "the chinese". Tell us about "the Inuits" and "the Maoris" and "the Italians" too.

This oughta be great.

Uh, yeah.

I see your point. The Chinese, all of them? The are exactly like the Borg, aren't they?

1*UZaee0TivXE07k18OMdolA.jpeg

best-20-tao-te-ching-ideas-on-pinterest-taoism-quotes-17.jpeg

The chinese donā€™t care. They lie, cheat, and steal because religion isnā€™t ingrained in there thinking.....

Are you kidding? That is some ridiculous, ignorant shit.

So I take it you have a cynical answer to the question in the OP?

No, not really. I believe that man naturally seeks for and longs for his creator. But, weakened by original sin, man is easily led astray. A strong family that passes on faith in God to their children is very important to the child. That is why the current destruction of the family is so bad.

God, infinitely perfect and blessed in himself, in a plan of sheer goodness freely created man to make him share in his own blessed life. For this reason, at every time and in every place, God draws close to man. He calls man to seek him, to know him, to love him with all his strength. He calls together all men, scattered and divided by sin, into the unity of his family, the Church. To accomplish this, when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son as Redeemer and Saviour. In his Son and through him, he invites men to become, in the Holy Spirit, his adopted children and thus heirs of his blessed life.

First you're gonna hafta define good and evil.

This is like asking if a cat, dog or chimpanzee is basically "good or evil."

A human is, as a human does.

Are you saying that our values are innate?

They are not innate. That is one hundred percent wrong. As I said, The answer to your question is that nobody is intrinsically evil in and of themselves. Evil behavior and Good behavior are learned. More importantly, your conscience is formed by you, it does not just come naturally. Formation of conscience comes by way of learning what is good and then living accordingly.

Man naturally seeks for and longs for his creator. But, weakened by original sin, man is easily led astray. A strong family that passes on faith in God to their children is very important to the child. That is why the current destruction of the family is so bad.

God, infinitely perfect and blessed in himself, in a plan of sheer goodness freely created man to make him share in his own blessed life. For this reason, at every time and in every place, God draws close to man. He calls man to seek him, to know him, to love him with all his strength. He calls together all men, scattered and divided by sin, into the unity of his family, the Church. To accomplish this, when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son as Redeemer and Saviour. In his Son and through him, he invites men to become, in the Holy Spirit, his adopted children and thus heirs of his blessed life.

Forum List

Back