Are AP Classes Fair?

As far as insufficient money to pay for teachers... maybe you could demand they stop building palaces for the kids with multi-million dollar sports facilities.

That wouldn't change the teachers' pay.

As far as insufficient money to pay for teachers... maybe you could demand they stop building palaces for the kids with multi-million dollar sports facilities.

Why not?

The vast majority of school teachers are paid on a Grade/Step Scale. "Grade" being the teacher grade (which can have different lanes normally broken out by levels of education [Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate] and Step [normally based on years of experience]. Kind of similar to military pay scales based on rank (Grade) and years of service.

A Math Teacher with a Master Degree and 10 years experience is paid X dollars. Doesn't matter of they are teaching regular Algebra or AP Algebra.

(There may be some schools though that pay a stipend for teaching advanced classes, but none of the districts in this area do.)

>>>>

Why not?

The vast majority of school teachers are paid on a Grade/Step Scale. "Grade" being the teacher grade (which can have different lanes normally broken out by levels of education [Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate] and Step [normally based on years of experience]. Kind of similar to military pay scales based on rank (Grade) and years of service.

A Math Teacher with a Master Degree and 10 years experience is paid X dollars. Doesn't matter of they are teaching regular Algebra or AP Algebra.

(There may be some schools though that pay a stipend for teaching advanced classes, but none of the districts in this area do.)

>>>>
The OP indicated there was not enough money to pay for AP teachers, thus indicating the OP felt additional money was required to manage additional classes. My point was to indicate where additional monies could be found. I also pointed out that a teacher teaching non 5 non-AP Classes a day should be able to teach 4 non-AP classes and 1 AP class for the same pay. Thus, the issue is likely the OP's district has a lack of AP acceptable students or teachers to form even one AP class. The issue is probably ignorance not money. That or what we have is a school district or school administrators who are holding the kids hostage for more money.

Last edited:
The OP indicated there was not enough money to pay for AP teachers, thus indicating the OP felt additional money was required to manage additional classes.

Actually if you read the OP it didn't say there was not enough money to pay for AP teachers, the teachers make the same either way.

There is an exam fee for each exam taken, in higher income neighborhoods that is not normally a problem. However in lower income neighborhoods the schools will often try to absorb that fee low income families.

In our school district we means-tested the students to try to cut down on AP costs.

>>>>

One thing that is "unfair" is that some kids going to public high schools get to learn in an environment that is comparable to a small private college campus and other kids going to public high schools have to contend with old, dilapidated structures without decent cafeterias, gyms, labs, or auditoriums, simply because they attend inner-city schools.

A public education is guaranteed by the STATES, not the school districts, and it shouldn't matter in which school district you reside, or how much the locals (your parents) are paying in "school" taxes; the education is provided by the STATE, not the school district. The STATES should be striving to equalize the facilities, teachers, and administrative support throughout the state, with no regard for the individual school districts.

In a sane world, there would be ONE school district in each state, and the local school boards (made up of unpaid volunteers), should be deciding what color the cheerleaders' uniforms are, and not much else. The STATE would be free to assign teachers anyplace the teachers are willing to teach, to incentivize teachers to teach in "problem" or remote districts, and to reward teachers on a merit basis for outstanding achievement.

In a sane world, every student with the ability and the desire to take AP courses would have those courses available, whether they live in the lily-white suburbs or the Ghetto, because those students are legal residents of the STATE.

If you want your kid to have a private school education, send him or her to a private school, and don't expect the other taxpayers (most of whom have NO kids in school) to fund your ambitions for your spoiled little brats.

I live in Canada where the funding per student (per province) is very equal. but the schools themselves are not equal. depending on the student makeup, discretionary funds are used to fund ESL, remedial, music, sports, etc programs. add to that the input of parents who fundraise and politic to get programs implimented that suit them.

why shouldnt parents and the community get the type of school that they are willing to work for?

If you want your kid to have a private school education, send him or her to a private school, and don't expect the other taxpayers (most of whom have NO kids in school) to fund your ambitions for your spoiled little brats.

What compelled you to add that pissy little jab to no one in particular at the end there?

Who needs any of that?

We've got dimocraps and their idiot minions at the NEA that are going to turn our Nation's Children into fucking geniuses....

Check it out

BjKnf9CIcAAuiqz.jpg

Everything dimocraps touch turns to shit.

Everything

Unkotare:

Maybe my last statement was too local. I live in a "wealthy" suburban school district, and most of the public discussion at school board meetings is parents who want special programs and field trips and whatnot funded - programs that just happen to benefit their own kids.

But generally, most school districts of this type strive to make the schools as close to a private school as possible, while many urban school districts are struggling to keep the boilers running in winter. Again, since the education is provided by the state and not the local school district, I see these disparities as "unfair."

Unkotare:

Maybe my last statement was too local. I live in a "wealthy" suburban school district, and most of the public discussion at school board meetings is parents who want special programs and field trips and whatnot funded - programs that just happen to benefit their own kids.

But generally, most school districts of this type strive to make the schools as close to a private school as possible, while many urban school districts are struggling to keep the boilers running in winter. Again, since the education is provided by the state and not the local school district, I see these disparities as "unfair."

Why should education for your kids be provided by the state, and not by the people living in the school district? Or better yet, by the parents and/or guardians of the kids attending.

Where does this sense of entitlement come from where people in a poor district think they have the right to force people living hundreds of miles away to pay their way in life?

Unkotare:

Schools are not all funded the same way in all states and districts.

It seems that nowadays, kids are starting college in high school with all of the AP classes offered. Some students are entering college with twenty and thirty credits. But what about the school districts that don't have the money to allow their students to learn the AP curriculum? Is it fair that these students essentially start off "behind" in college or does it not matter?

We should require everyone to start collage with no more knowledge tan a 5 year old.

You need to fucking grow up, ass hole.

Why does it take extra funding for students to "learn the AP curriculum"?

That's a really good question! I suppose it depends on the school, but in order to have AP classes, you have to have teachers to teach the AP classes and in order to have that, you have to have the money. I know that school districts without a lot of money cut wherever is necessary, and most of the time they see the extra advantage in college as "unnecessary." Apparently the teachers and resources are needed to teach non-AP classes.

There isn't any more money needed to have AP classes. If you think so, can you provide specifics? It may be that most of the students in low income districts aren't able to do AP, so the funding for those districts focuses on remedial and average classes; therefore, there isn't money left over to focus on AP classes. The money goes where the biggest need is. That may be why your district can't afford AP courses. If it is something you really want, maybe your kid can go to another school? That is a possibility. Or you could move. Another possibility.

Last edited:
It seems that nowadays, kids are starting college in high school with all of the AP classes offered. Some students are entering college with twenty and thirty credits. But what about the school districts that don't have the money to allow their students to learn the AP curriculum? Is it fair that these students essentially start off "behind" in college or does it not matter?

No.

That's why some of us advocate the end of LOCAL FUNDING for schools.

As a student, this isn't a huge deal, but there is NO SUCH THING AS AP ALGEBRA. The only math classes offered by AP are Calculus AB(equivalent to 1 semester of college calculus), Calculus BC(equivalent to 2 semesters), and Statistics.

Also, I'd like to point out that it certainly doesn't take extra funding to teach a class and for students to be able to pass the AP exam. However, to get the school "AP certified" for certain subjects does cost money, especially in the sciences were a certain # of labs, some with expensive equipment, is required.

However, at my school, we have way fewer labs than we're supposed to for AP Chemistry and AP Physics. 25% of instructional time is supposed to be labs, and we haven't had a lab all semester in AP Physics and we had very few(maybe 5-10% of school days thus far) in chem. Of course, teachers could always just lie when they submit their lesson plans. You don't need to complete the labs to do well on the AP exams. And you could also shove all the lab curriculum until after the AP test(which I think both of my teachers are doing).

Why should education for your kids be provided by the state, and not by the people living in the school district? Or better yet, by the parents and/or guardians of the kids attending.

Where does this sense of entitlement come from where people in a poor district think they have the right to force people living hundreds of miles away to pay their way in life?

Because these kids are likely to remain in that state. The ones that face un - or under- employment for the rest of their lives are more likely to become trailer trash and hood rats. Those that get a good education and move on to the college experience are more likely to be well-employed and to be good citizens. (College doesn't just provide a diploma, one can make a number of social and business connections there.)

In your town, how many members of City Council graduated in general studies from a poor high school and how many others have at least a bachelor's degree from college?

Ever heard of self study? I had a friend who went to an Ivy League school and he came from a very poor neighborhood.

Forum List

Back