In the News: W. Side high school students go without teachers

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Joanna Maravilla Cano said she and her husband never imagine they would be intimidated by their school’s principal for exercising their right to opt their daughter out of the Illinois Standard Achievement Test.
“They put our children in an overall confusing and stressful situation, should they listen to the authority figure from their schools or should they listen to their parent who has the best intentions for them?” Maravilla Cano asked, adding that studies have shown the ISAT does not contribute to a child’s overall academic growth.

Maravilla Cano was among parents and community activists who gathered Monday outside of the CPS Pilsen-Little Village Network Seven to show support for teachers who refused to administer the ISAT last week. Network Seven oversees Saucedo Scholastic Academy, which is one of two schools where teachers chose not to give the ISAT to students.

According to rally demonstrators, Chicago Public Schools officials retaliated against parents, students and teachers who opted out of the ISAT.

“What is the Board of Education doing right now under Rahm Emanuel?” asked Saucedo teacher Sarah Chambers at the press conference. “They’re doing what Rahm Emanuel does best, they’re bullying us!”

Opponents of the ISAT say that students are over-tested and the ISAT is a “low-stakes test,” meaning that its results will not be used for student promotion, teacher and school evaluations, or selective enrollment applications. CPS teacher Craig Cleve said there are no negative academic repercussions for students opting out of the ISAT.

“As a teacher, it doesn’t have any value for me,” Cleve said, “because I won’t see any of the results of it until next July…and it really doesn’t have any data that I can use with my students right now.”
Angry parents, teachers accuse CPS of retaliating over opting out of ISAT

Forum List

Back