Are AP Classes Fair?

LeslieKnope

Rookie
Mar 6, 2014
It seems that nowadays, kids are starting college in high school with all of the AP classes offered. Some students are entering college with twenty and thirty credits. But what about the school districts that don't have the money to allow their students to learn the AP curriculum? Is it fair that these students essentially start off "behind" in college or does it not matter?

I do agree that nowadays, kids are almost expected to come into college with credits in order to stay on track. AP classes happen to be a way the students in high school can get these credits. I think they are a great way to advance yourself. If your high school doesn't offer these classes, you can still take the AP tests, so it is up to you to advance your education. You can also be dual enrolled in a college at the same time or take online classes. So saying that AP class are not fair since some schools do not have them is irrelevant.

It seems that nowadays, kids are starting college in high school with all of the AP classes offered. Some students are entering college with twenty and thirty credits. But what about the school districts that don't have the money to allow their students to learn the AP curriculum? Is it fair that these students essentially start off "behind" in college or does it not matter?

Kid, the best thing you can do for yourself for the rest of your life is to delete the word "fair" from your lexicon.

Why does it take extra funding for students to "learn the AP curriculum"?

That's a really good question! I suppose it depends on the school, but in order to have AP classes, you have to have teachers to teach the AP classes and in order to have that, you have to have the money. I know that school districts without a lot of money cut wherever is necessary, and most of the time they see the extra advantage in college as "unnecessary." Apparently the teachers and resources are needed to teach non-AP classes.

Life and the world isn't "fair" and never will be. Instead of lamenting over the fact that some students DON'T get this or that perhaps we should applaud the fact that other students DO. (Cup half empty vs. cup half full scenario).

I know several college grads that are total idiots and I know some very successful humans who've done great things with their lives with nothing more than a high school diploma (or less). Life is what we make of it.

AP is good but not all colleges will accept them as college credit: they want to make tuitition from 250 - 500 student classes at the freshman level.

Take dual credit whenever possible, regardless what the AP teachers say. The colleges are more likely to accept those classes.

Kid, the best thing you can do for yourself for the rest of your life is to delete the word "fair" from your lexicon.

Exactly. Is it fair that my public HS had an indoor olympic sized pool, archery range, tennis courts, performing arts theater, preschool with a lab, gourmet kitchens, an abundance of the latest technology at the time, etc.? My mom moved there for that reason, and taxes were fucking outrageous because of it. However, the people in the community demanded it, and were willing to pay the price.

AP classes usually have top achievers in them and they meet according to a high school schedule. This results in much more class time than the equilavent college course. As such a student may learn much more in an AP class than the equivalent college class.

The only real chance a kid has now to get ahead is with further education. Otherwise, the odds plummet. AP classes take more staff and well the schools around us are cutting teachers, not adding them to cope with cuts in the education budget. So, our AP classes were taken out. I'm glad my kids went through at a time when they were offered.

The only real chance a kid has now to get ahead is with further education. Otherwise, the odds plummet.
I have to disagree with this. The educational system in the U.S. is designed to waste time and create long-term debt on the part of the student, not actually give them any marketable skills. Most jobs hinge entirely upon experience, not education. An ad might say "experience needed," which sometimes means just prior experience, but usually means "you must have a current job elsewhere working for much more than you'll ever think of asking for from us." In my area, at least, there are ads for minimum wage positions such as hotel cleaning lady, custodian, and after-hours janitor who cleans off buses, and all of them have required at least six months of prior experience. Unless you're going into something really super specialized that legally requires a certain degree, like becoming an attorney or doctor, or want to work in a government position such as a building inspector or teacher, a college education is not at all essential for having a successful career. All things being equal, it certainly helps, but is it worth the massive price tag to everyone?

AP classes take more staff and well the schools around us are cutting teachers, not adding them to cope with cuts in the education budget. So, our AP classes were taken out. I'm glad my kids went through at a time when they were offered.
At the schools in my area, a single teacher can have regular, Honors, or AP classes, and the schools don't require additional staff to offer AP courses.

This, times a million.

My daughter took AP Chemistry, Physics, Calculus, English and US History in her Junior and Senior years of High School.
She went to her classes and buried her head in the standardized study guides.
She got four 5s and a 4 (US History) and said the Study Guides are what did the trick.

Well, it certainly helped me financially, as a widow, when my son started college as a sophomore. There are all kinds of programs out there for the retarded and slow learners. Those will not be the people who solve the problems of this country. We really should invest far more in the smart kids. But when you do, the parents of some kid with average grades jumps on their high horse and rides it for all they are worth. This thread is a case in point.

That's a really good question! I suppose it depends on the school, but in order to have AP classes, you have to have teachers to teach the AP classes and in order to have that, you have to have the money. I know that school districts without a lot of money cut wherever is necessary, and most of the time they see the extra advantage in college as "unnecessary." Apparently the teachers and resources are needed to teach non-AP classes.

Which school districts can you name that have cut AP courses? I think I can help you out with the "fairness" issue.

One thing that is "unfair" is that some kids going to public high schools get to learn in an environment that is comparable to a small private college campus and other kids going to public high schools have to contend with old, dilapidated structures without decent cafeterias, gyms, labs, or auditoriums, simply because they attend inner-city schools.

A public education is guaranteed by the STATES, not the school districts, and it shouldn't matter in which school district you reside, or how much the locals (your parents) are paying in "school" taxes; the education is provided by the STATE, not the school district. The STATES should be striving to equalize the facilities, teachers, and administrative support throughout the state, with no regard for the individual school districts.

In a sane world, there would be ONE school district in each state, and the local school boards (made up of unpaid volunteers), should be deciding what color the cheerleaders' uniforms are, and not much else. The STATE would be free to assign teachers anyplace the teachers are willing to teach, to incentivize teachers to teach in "problem" or remote districts, and to reward teachers on a merit basis for outstanding achievement.

In a sane world, every student with the ability and the desire to take AP courses would have those courses available, whether they live in the lily-white suburbs or the Ghetto, because those students are legal residents of the STATE.

If you want your kid to have a private school education, send him or her to a private school, and don't expect the other taxpayers (most of whom have NO kids in school) to fund your ambitions for your spoiled little brats.

A teacher teaching Algebra and one teaching AP Algebra are paid the same. In every state there are minimum credit requirements that include Math, English, and Social Science/Studies.

At least in the school system where I work there is no difference in the cost of the teacher.

>>>>

The only real chance a kid has now to get ahead is with further education. Otherwise, the odds plummet. AP classes take more staff and well the schools around us are cutting teachers, not adding them to cope with cuts in the education budget. So, our AP classes were taken out. I'm glad my kids went through at a time when they were offered.

Around here the community college provides the staff for the dual credit courses. The AP classes are provided by the same teacher that teaches the non-ap classes. Each teacher handles about 8 classes on a block schedule each week. The number of AP classes in that block is based on how many kids qualify for AP. Thus the whether or not there are AP and/or Dual credit courses has nothing to do with the number of staff at the school.

But I suppose if you live in a location where none of the kids qualify for AP, or where there are teachers with tenure that can't be fired and refuse to teach AP and/or don't have the skill then you'd be screwed or move.

As far as insufficient money to pay for teachers... maybe you could demand they stop building palaces for the kids with multi-million dollar sports facilities.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back