Archon X PRIZE for Genomics

And you know that we couldn't sequence that shit without those two brothers....
who happen to be hardcore Christians...

the brothers Chudnovsky.

Last edited:
I will admit, it is fun to play God.

Although, it would be nice if I wouldn't have to wait nearly a month to get a genome sequenced. Hell, right now, I'm in a tough spot because I have no easy method to sequence a mutant I've grown...and have to rely upon inefficient guess-and-check PCR.

Last edited:
I thought PCR was for replication, not sequencing??
You can use it to screen for select portion of genomic DNA. Normally, I would use one primer that binds to the mutation, and one primer that binds to genomic DNA, so only mutants would produce a PCR product.

Do to...inter-lab politics...I cannot get the sequence of this particular plasmid I'm using, and I don't have the time to get the plasmid and/or potential mutants sequenced. So I'm guessing where the plasmid might enter and building PCR primers for those regions, hoping I'll get lucky.

So far, I haven't been too lucky...

damn... in that case, we really need a faster method for sequencing this shit

i wonder... if you cut the DNA into sections and sequenced each section in a separate machine, could you thentake the results and 'recompile' the sequence as a whole? Kinda like how we have a lot of smaller machines crunch different parts of the equation in some supercomputers?

damn... in that case, we really need a faster method for sequencing this shit

i wonder... if you cut the DNA into sections and sequenced each section in a separate machine, could you thentake the results and 'recompile' the sequence as a whole? Kinda like how we have a lot of smaller machines crunch different parts of the equation in some supercomputers?
Actually, that's the most common sequencing technique used today, called Shotgun Sequencing.

It was fully developed by the Company that completed the Human Genome Project in the late 1990s.

Forum List

Back