APA President Supports Therapy Treating Unwanted Homosexual Tendencies

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
APA President Supports Therapy Treating Unwanted Homosexual Tendencies

By Gudrun Schultz

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana, August 29, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) –President of the American Psychological Association, Dr. Gerald P. Koocher, broke with the APA’s long-held stance against homosexual re-orientation therapy earlier this month, saying the organization would support psychological therapy for those experiencing unwanted homosexual attractions, the National Association for the Therapy and Treatment of Homosexuality (NARTH) reported.

Speaking with NARTH President Joseph Nicolosi at the APA’s annual convention in New Orleans, Dr. Koocher stated, “APA has no conflict with psychologists who help those distressed by unwanted homosexual attraction.” Dr. Koocher emphasized that so long as patient autonomy and choice were respected, the APA’s Code of Ethics would certainly encompass psychological treatment of those who wish to be free of homosexual attraction.

The APA has long been hostile toward the work of NARTH, saying attempts to alter the sexual inclinations of homosexual or lesbian persons amount to discrimination against homosexuality.

“This is a historic step for client autonomy and self-determination,” said NARTH psychologist Dr. Dean Byrd in the organization’s report. “Dr. Koocher’s statements were clear and unambiguous in support of the rights of those who are distressed by their unwanted homosexual attraction. In fact, the message conveyed by Dr. Koocher today is identical to NARTH’s mission statement. I hope that APA and NARTH can now begin a fruitful dialogue about this very important issue.”

Despite the groundbreaking statement by the APA’s president, there appears to be a lack of consensus among members on the organization’s official position on homosexual reversal therapy. Cybercast News Service reported today on a statement by an APA spokesperson who said the scientific validity of reparative therapy for homosexuals is unfounded and insupportable.

“The APA’s concern about the positions espoused by NARTH and so-called conversion therapy is that they are not supported by the science,” APA Public Affairs Manager Pamela Willenz wrote in response to questioning by CNS. “There is simply no sufficiently scientifically sound evidence that sexual orientation can be changed.”

Clinton Anderson, director of the APA Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Concerns Office, told CNS there is “no evidence” that reparative therapies work, and said “they may in fact cause harm for many people.”

That “evidence” can be easily found, however, in the lives of those who have successfully undergone reparative or conversion therapies, said Alan Chambers, president of Exodus International, to CNS. Exodus International is a coalition of Christian ministries that offer outreach to people with unwanted homosexual attraction.

“If they’ve done any kind of study that’s proven that reparative therapy [does not work] or that change isn’t possible, then they’ve obviously not interviewed those of us who have successfully overcome homosexuality.”

Chambers participated in a protest at the APA convention by ex-homosexuals and pro-family groups, seeking the APA’s recognition of the legitimacy of homosexual therapy.

The APA removed homosexuality from the list of recognized mental disorders (DSM) in 1973, a decision some suggest was motivated by pressure from homosexual advocacy groups without regard for accurate scientific research. See LifeSiteNews.com coverage: http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/feb/06020902.html

See CNS News.com coverage:
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive...

See previous LifeSiteNews coverage:

Ex-Gays Protest APA Claim that Homosexuality is Irreversible
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/aug/06081607.html

Contact the APA:
1000 Wilson Boulevard,
Suite 1825,
Arlington, Va.
22209-3901
phone: 703-907-7300
email: [email protected]

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/aug/06082905.html

Update: APA Disputes Therapy, Not Homosexual Change
(CNSNews.com) - Advocates of psychological counseling for people experiencing unwanted attraction to members of the same sex say the American Psychological Association may be softening its position on their services. But a spokesman for the APA says it still questions the validity of reparative or conversion therapy for homosexuals.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200608/CUL20060829a.html

The APA removed homosexuality from the list of recognized mental disorders (DSM) in 1973, a decision some suggest was motivated by pressure from homosexual advocacy groups without regard for accurate scientific research. See LifeSiteNews.com coverage: http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/feb/06020902.html
Read that more clearly, bud. It says "SOME SUGGEST," which means that isn't the reason.

Read that more clearly, bud. It says "SOME SUGGEST," which means that isn't the reason.
Well, it is the reason and we all know it. There's no need to beat that dead horse.

But here we are now, the President of the APA now say's he supports treatment for homosexuals that want help, and you have a problem with that?

Why? What about that troubles you? Is it the fact that you won't have any good reason to continue being queer?

Well, it is the reason and we all know it. There's no need to beat that dead horse.

But here we are now, the President of the APA now say's he supports treatment for homosexuals that want help, and you have a problem with that?

Why? What about that troubles you? Is it the fact that you won't have any good reason to continue being queer?
1.) We don't know that's the reason. It's a reason we speculate over and have no evidence for.

2.) I haven't said anything about having a problem with it. I was posting a link to a story that better corrects what you said.

3.) I could propose my theory that he's being pressured by the Right wingers into changing his view for whatever reason. It sounds far fetched, but so does the theory homosexuals were so powerful as to get homosexuality taken off the mental illness list.

I'll keep my opinions until I'm proven otherwise by cold hard evidence that I can physically look over and compare to other pieces of evidence.

1.) We don't know that's the reason. It's a reason we speculate over and have no evidence for.
Yes, we do know it's the reason kag. It's just another one of those things you'll deny in the face of overwhelming proof, simply because it doesn't fit with your twisted thinking...

NARTH Report Shows Gay Activist Influence on Mental Health Organizations
Says society that promotes homosexuality results in more self-identified homosexuals

By Gudrun Schultz

ENCINO, California, February 9, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) – A new paper by a leading psychiatrist documents the control gay activists exert over mental health organizations in the U.S.

Dr. Jeffrey Satinover outlines the influence of gay organizations on the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, and the National Association of Social Workers, which has lead them to abandon scientific accuracy and authentic research in order to support the political goals of the homosexual community.

His paper, The Trojan Couch: How the Mental Health Guilds Allow Medical Diagnostics, Scientific Research And Jurisprudence To Be Subverted In Lockstep With The Political Aims Of Their Gay Sub-Components, was published by the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH). (See complete text of Dr. Satinover’s paper here: http://www.narth.com/docs/TheTrojanCouchSatinover.pdf)

Dr. Satinover details the homosexual activist campaign to force the American Psychiatric Association (APA) to remove homosexuality from the list of recognized mental disorders. The campaign used disruption and misrepresentation to accomplish their goal, achieved in 1973. Activists within the APA combined forces with gay organizations to present to the APA incomplete and biased research supporting the “normalcy” of homosexuality which neglected to analyze the data or offer any challenge.

“The APA’s decision to remove homosexuality from the DSM was presented to the public as based upon a solid scientific foundation, though this foundation was in fact lacking...The APA and others have so often repeated the same falsehoods that the public and even the Supreme Court now take for granted that science has demonstrated that homosexuality is a perfectly normal variant of human sexuality if it is fixed early in life and does not change…” writes Dr. Satinover.

He goes on to detail how advocates of homosexuality within the scientific community appear to willfully bypass excellent research (some of it their own) that clearly links homosexuality and psychopathology.

Dr. Satinover extensively outlines research that suggests the impulse to homosexuality (which most frequently manifests itself during adolescence) will spontaneously decrease over time, and will eventually disappear, unless it is given support and encouragement.

“…the reality is that since 1994—for ten years—there has existed solid epidemiological evidence, now extensively confirmed and reconfirmed, that the most common natural course for a young person who develops a “homosexual identity” is for it to spontaneously disappear unless that process is discouraged or interfered with by extraneous factors,” he states (his emphasis.)

He concludes by noting that the factors influencing the sexual development of young people are largely contained in the social and family context. Therefore, a society that promotes homosexuality will result in increasing numbers of people who identify themselves as homosexuals.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/feb/06020902.html

2.) I haven't said anything about having a problem with it. I was posting a link to a story that better corrects what you said.
What I said didn't need any correcting.

3.) I could propose my theory that he's being pressured by the Right wingers into changing his view for whatever reason. It sounds far fetched, but so does the theory homosexuals were so powerful as to get homosexuality taken off the mental illness list.
It was a mental illness, and it's still a mental illness. He's probably sick of being pushed around by the homo's and is going to correct the wrong.

I'll keep my opinions until I'm proven otherwise by cold hard evidence that I can physically look over and compare to other pieces of evidence.
Hmmm... maybe then you'll get help.

Yes, we do know it's the reason kag. It's just another one of those things you'll deny in the face of overwhelming proof, simply because it doesn't fit with your twisted thinking...What I said didn't need any correcting.

It was a mental illness, and it's still a mental illness. He's probably sick of being pushed around by the homo's and is going to correct the wrong.

Hmmm... maybe then you'll get help.
Actually, no, we don't know it's a reason. There's no proof. And as for your NARTH crap, that's what it is: crap. It's biased from the get-go and obviously going to use biased results and stories.

It's not a mental illness. We'd be able to control it if it were. Schizophrenia is a major mental illness that has no cure, but it can be controlled. If Homosexuality was a mental illness, at least, like schizophrenia, it could be controlled. But it's not.

I wouldn't get help by choice. Why: because I'm fine being who I am. I won't tell people whether they should or shouldn't.

Actually, no, we don't know it's a reason. There's no proof. And as for your NARTH crap, that's what it is: crap. It's biased from the get-go and obviously going to use biased results and stories.
Yes, it is the reason. Just like a liberal you're thinking if you say it isn't enough times, it will become true, but it won't. There's volumes of proof, and you're in denial.

It's not a mental illness. We'd be able to control it if it were. Schizophrenia is a major mental illness that has no cure, but it can be controlled. If Homosexuality was a mental illness, at least, like schizophrenia, it could be controlled. But it's not.
Yes it is a mental illness. Again, you're in denial. Until you wake up out of that homosexual fog, you won't see the truth.

I wouldn't get help by choice. Why: because I'm fine being who I am. I won't tell people whether they should or shouldn't.
Well, some people need intervention. You may be one of them.

Yes, it is the reason. Just like a liberal you're thinking if you say it isn't enough times, it will become true, but it won't. There's volumes of proof, and you're in denial.

Yes it is a mental illness. Again, you're in denial. Until you wake up out of that homosexual fog, you won't see the truth.

Well, some people need intervention. You may be one of them.
No it's not. And don't call me a liberal, I'm a moderate. And give me proof then.

No it's not, you and a handful of others believe it is.

No need. I'd rather live my life the way it is. You do know us homosexuals can be happy in relationships.

Regretfully, I can tell you from heartbreaking personal experience that some schizophrenics resist the idea of treatment. They like the voices - it's what feels "normal" to them...

Kagom said:
I wouldn't get help by choice. Why: because I'm fine being who I am.

...yeah - like that.

Regretfully, I can tell you from heartbreaking personal experience that some schizophrenics resist the idea of treatment. They like the voices - it's what feels "normal" to them...

...yeah - like that.
Yeah, uhm, I did a paper on Schizophrenia. I'm quite aware about that. But that doesn't change the fact Schizophrenia is something that is able to be controlled. Homosexuality, however, hasn't been aside from the burnings and torture in the earlier times of the world.

And why should I change to please what a certain group of people want? You have to understand that homosexuality is way different than Schizophrenia or Dissociative Identity Disorder (also commonly known as Mutliple Personality Syndrome) in that people with Schizophrenia or DID are more apt to harm themselves because they believe they can do extraordinary things like fly, etc. while homosexuals are only hurt by their choices as humans.

Yeah, uhm, I did a paper on Schizophrenia. I'm quite aware about that.

And I am heartily glad that that's all the closer you've come to it. May it ever remain thus.

Kagom said:
But that doesn't change the fact Schizophrenia is something that is able to be controlled. Homosexuality, however, hasn't been aside from the burnings and torture in the earlier times of the world.

There have been many recent success stories. You know this.

Kagom said:
And why should I change to please what a certain group of people want?

Why should schizophrenics - from their point of view?

Kagom said:
You have to understand that homosexuality is way different than Schizophrenia or Dissociative Identity Disorder (also commonly known as Mutliple Personality Syndrome) in that people with Schizophrenia or DID are more apt to harm themselves because they believe they can do extraordinary things like fly, etc. while homosexuals are only hurt by their choices as humans.

Homosexuals - and others - have bought into one of the most vicious, harmful lies ever foisted onto humanity: that there can be sex without consequences. Take a gander at our dazed and bleeding society, Kagom. Wouldn't you say some harm has been done?

And I am heartily glad that that's all the closer you've come to it. May it ever remain thus.

There have been many recent success stories. You know this.

Why should schizophrenics - from their point of view?

Homosexuals - and others - have bought into one of the most vicious, harmful lies ever foisted onto humanity: that there can be sex without consequences. Take a gander at our dazed and bleeding society, Kagom. Wouldn't you say some harm has been done?
It's an interesting subject, but that's something else.

Those stories, in my opinion, are full of it. They're either people paid to make a claim or they're deluded.

I'm sorry, but that lie was smashed in the late 70's/early-mid 80's with AIDs. We have awareness now about such things, so we don't believe that anymore.

It's an interesting subject, but that's something else.

It makes for an interesting comparison; I'm glad you brought it up. There appear to be many parallels.

Kagom said:
Those stories, in my opinion, are full of it. They're either people paid to make a claim or they're deluded.

They disagree with you - therefore they are either lying or deluded? Come on, Kagom - you're better than that.

Kagom said:
I'm sorry, but that lie was smashed in the late 70's/early-mid 80's with AIDs. We have awareness now about such things, so we don't believe that anymore.

And if the sum total of the lesson learned by the homosexual community is "wear a condom", then that is the sum total of the lesson learned. "Engage MORE CAREFULLY in suicidal behavior" is a mindset that guarantees further correction.

It makes for an interesting comparison; I'm glad you brought it up. There appear to be many parallels.

They disagree with you - therefore they are either lying or deluded? Come on, Kagom - you're better than that.

And if the sum total of the lesson learned by the homosexual community is "wear a condom", then that is the sum total of the lesson learned. "Engage MORE CAREFULLY in suicidal behavior" is a mindset that guarantees further correction.
Indeed it does.

Not because they disagree with me. If that was the deal, I'd say that about a LOT of people. No, I doubt it because of personal experiences and the such.

Suicide is more apparent in those who are mistreated or not as well accepted. Mostly, condoms do prevent some STDs and VDs from being spread, but most of them aren't.

No it's not. And don't call me a liberal, I'm a moderate. And give me proof then.
Yes it is, and I did. It's right here in this thread. You're ignoring it. Had the fags never pressured the APA, it would STILL be considered a mental illness. And now, there are doctors ready to correct that wrong and once again tell the truth about the illness.

No it's not, you and a handful of others believe it is.
The handful is you and your queer buddies. The rest of us normal people, who are the vast majority, know you're sick.

No need. I'd rather live my life the way it is. You do know us homosexuals can be happy in relationships.
You'll die young, disallusioned, and diseased. Is that what you think happiness is?

You're sicker than I thought.

Yes it is, and I did. It's right here in this thread. You're ignoring it. Had the fags never pressured the APA, it would STILL be considered a mental illness. And now, there are doctors ready to correct that wrong and once again tell the truth about the illness.

The handful is you and your queer buddies. The rest of us normal people, who are the vast majority, know you're sick.

You'll die young, disallusioned, and diseased. Is that what you think happiness is?

You're sicker than I thought.

No, there's no evidence of it. Only waht you say.

No, there's a lot more of you "normal" folk who don't think we're sick and I'm not talking about the liberals. I've got plenty of conservative friends who feel that there's nothing wrong with being gay. But you wont' believe that because you're so wrapped up in your psycho anti-gay little world to accept that.

Yay! I'm gonna die! Hooray! But I bet I end up dying beside someone I love :D

No, there's no evidence of it. Only waht you say.

No, there's a lot more of you "normal" folk who don't think we're sick and I'm not talking about the liberals. I've got plenty of conservative friends who feel that there's nothing wrong with being gay. But you wont' believe that because you're so wrapped up in your psycho anti-gay little world to accept that.

Yay! I'm gonna die! Hooray! But I bet I end up dying beside someone I love :D

Shit, your significant other or whatever they are referred to as nowadays will be on to the next sphincter at the first sign of illness. You know that higher levels of promiscuity thingy........

Kag do you use crystal meth?

Your kidding yourself when you think the majority don't think you are sick.

Shit, your significant other or whatever they are referred to as nowadays will be on to the next sphincter at the first sign of illness. You know that higher levels of promiscuity thingy........

Kag do you use crystal meth?

Your kidding yourself when you think the majority don't think you are sick.
I doubt that. That's really all I have to say about that.

No, it didn't like me.

Perhaps so, but I'll stick by my guns.

Forum List

Back