Anyone go to a gun show lately?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
The little town I live in (population about 5,000) is having a gun show this weekend at the community center. I stopped by there this afternoon to see if I could pick up any bargains. As usual. there were the same ragged, unkempt, and smelly vendors there with the same old crap they've been bringing for years: High-priced collectible firearms which they hope to recoup their money on, AR-15s in the $700-$1200 price range, ammo priced higher than you can get at Walmart, and accessories that you could buy cheaper on Ebay.

WTF is wrong with gun show vendors anyway? They act like we're still in panic mode and Obama is still President. Prices on everything gun-related skyrocketed during Obama's second term but after Trump took office, the bottom fell out of the market. Except at gun shows, that is. To see their prices, you would have thought Hillary got elected.

Rant over.

It's Comic Con San Diego vs Comic Con Dubuque ... it's all about market.

%2523epicfall%2BIron%2BMan%2BComic%2BCon%2Bcostume.jpg

All those guns bought were put to good use. Dust needs a firm surface to rest on or it just isn't itself in the morning.

All those guns bought were put to good use. Dust needs a firm surface to rest on or it just isn't itself in the morning.

My guns don't gather dust, as they reside in a safe. The ones that don't reside there and need to be immediately accessible, get periodically cleaned, oiled, tested, and re-cleaned and oiled.

Granted there are a few I have strategically placed around the house for emergency purposes but even though they have a light coating of dust on the outside, they all go "bang" within a matter of seconds.

Anyway, dust is no great enemy of firearms, it's rust we gun-nuts abhor. The same kind of rust often seen on those weapons carried illegally by street thugs, drug dealers, robbers, and murderers. As most of those types aren't really "gun people", they tend to never take the proper care and maintenance of their weapons.

Never been to a gun show, never will go to one just like I don't go to home shows, boat shows car shows etc
I buy my guns new from reputable dealers who will provide service after the sale and not from some Joe Schmoe at a gun show

My guns don't gather dust, as they reside in a safe. The ones that don't reside there and need to be immediately accessible, get periodically cleaned, oiled, tested, and re-cleaned and oiled.

Granted there are a few I have strategically placed around the house for emergency purposes but even though they have a light coating of dust on the outside, they all go "bang" within a matter of seconds.

Anyway, dust is no great enemy of firearms, it's rust we gun-nuts abhor. The same kind of rust often seen on those weapons carried illegally by street thugs, drug dealers, robbers, and murderers. As most of those types aren't really "gun people", they tend to never take the proper care and maintenance of their weapons.

Go meet up with some of them, see if they are 'gun' people. They actually use the things on a daily basis.

And you missed the point but meh. What you gonna do.

Never been to a gun show, never will go to one just like I don't go to home shows, boat shows car shows etc
I buy my guns new from reputable dealers who will provide service after the sale and not from some Joe Schmoe at a gun show

If the truth be told, most of the firearms I own came from garage sales. They seldom put them out on the table, you have to ask. And when they do remember that they have some old firearm rusting away in the attic or closet, you can usually get it for $20-$100. Even non-working firearms can be parted out and the parts sold on Ebay.

Of course, the Glock 19 I carry every day and my AK-47 were bought at gun stores, and I went through the routine of filling out the ATF Form 4473 and doing the criminal background check.

If the truth be told, most of the firearms I own came from garage sales. They seldom put them out on the table, you have to ask. And when they do remember that they have some old firearm rusting away in the attic or closet, you can usually get it for $20-$100. Even non-working firearms can be parted out and the parts sold on Ebay.

Of course, the Glock 19 I carry every day and my AK-47 were bought at gun stores, and I went through the routine of filling out the ATF Form 4473 and doing the criminal background check.
I don't consider myself a collector I have guns and will get more. I consider them tools so I have varying forearms in varying calibers but I just don't buy stuff to sell on ebay or to refurbish. So I buy new and I am sure the firearm will work the times I do get rid of a gun it's usually at the same dealer where I will trade it on on a new one.

Even the gun shows at the 100,000 cities seem to suck compared to even a 160,000 city. I understand the gun show held every few months in Tulsa is the largest and coolest

Forum List

Back