Anyone ever had Goose?

Lots.love it. I used to shoot them in golf course ponds during migration at night with a bow and arrow fishing reel rig.Hey. I was poor back then but I ate damn well.
Those are the wild ones. Did you ever try farm raised goose? The white ones?
No and probably wouldn't. I don't trust commercial food(especially US) and don't live in a good clime to grow goose....
What special climate does it take to raise geese?
One without Bot Flies

I've never had it, seen it offered on a restaurant menu or served at anyone's home or for sale at the supermarket.
Just wondering what domestic goose tastes like and why it seems to be shunned, at least in the Northeast?

(I had wild goose, once, smoked, at a Christmas buffet. That's not what I'm talking about, though.)

We always have Weihnachtsgans this is roasted goose that is stuffed with stuffing of onions, chestnuts, parsley, breaded rolls and apples at Christmas this is a very old tradition in Germanic nations, the goose, it takes some time to cook the goose though.

Christmas Eve is as important this is when we have Gebackener Karpfen this is fried/baked carp, we have fishes because in Roman Catholic nations Christmas Eve is considered a fasting day that you cannot eat meat, but you can eat fishes.

Sorry OL the OP is about goose but I expand it some. When buying the goose you must buy the youngest goose you can find and also the most expensive one you see, this is very very important because if you buy a cheaper and older goose it is inferior, it will be tougher to chew and will not taste as nice. A fine young Roast goose tastes like an excellent and refined beef, it's almost like Filet Mignon in its taste.

I can tell you how to cook a goose if you want, let me know. We are obsessed with roasted goose, we have eaten it for Centuries.
Thank you, Lucy. I was hoping some of our European folks would see this because I know from Dickens that goose is a big holiday thing over there.

I'm trying to imagine a fowl tasting or having a texture like filet mignon. Sounds delicious.

I don't think the British do when we lived in London I never heard anyone say that they were having roasted goose, they like roast chicken, roast turkey, roast beef, roast pork but I never heard of them having roasted goose.

I have never even had smoked goose like you mention in your OP, that seems weird smoking a goose for one thing the smoking process will affect the taste and change the taste in the same way that roasted salmon tastes different than smoked salmon.

Roasted goose a fine young roasted goose tastes divine.

I heard that roast goose was like a popular traditional meal for the Brits!

Not that I heard, OL mention Dickens it could have been then, but I have never heard any British mention they are having roasted goose for dinner.

I have found the below article from 2012 and it says that the British stopped eating goose after the First War, WTF how bizarro a reason and now a small number of them are choosing goose again, but most are still with the chicken and turkey. The Brits can be strange and eccentric about food.

upload_2017-11-19_15-25-46.png

upload_2017-11-19_15-26-36.png

Full article:

The forgotten feast

The below article says that 87% of them have turkey at Christmas, which is what I already knew because as I comment I never met any British who said they were having roasted goose.

upload_2017-11-19_15-30-43.png

upload_2017-11-19_15-31-21.png

^^^^ They have been eating turkey as the first choice for more than 500 years

Full article:

Why do we eat turkey on Christmas Day? How the big bird became the staple meal of choice

It's getting to be Toikey tyme!

I'm wondering if I should get a ham, too.
We always did when there was a big crowd--ham or venison--and I miss that because I don't like turkey. Thanksgiving is all about the stuffing and the green bean casserole.
Made with giblets.....
I went to an incredibly fine dining French inspired Christmas Eve dinner at a fancy restaurant once and they served what they called a "bread pudding" that was almost exactly my grandmother's stuffing. I could have hugged the chef.
No giblets, chestnuts, apples or oysters. Just fine ground bread, celery, onions and herbs plus butter and broth. The celery and the crust on the top saves it from being completely baby food. Of course, no crust on the stuffing from inside the bird.
Live a little and stuff the bird. You might get killed driving across town to buy the cranberry sauce, anyway, so stop worrying so much.

Chicken is my favorite poultry. It is versatile and mild tasting and that is how I like it. After observing the geese out in my yard, I'm not interested at all in eating one of them. :D

I don't get angry when an animal bites me because I know it doesn't know any better or it's just instinct. I'm an animal lover, so I've been bit by a lot of animals. Chipmunks, one of the most vicious of the forest dwelling creatures.

"I don't get angry when an animal bites me"

What if a lion bit you, that should make you fucking angry :smoke::poke:

Lots.love it. I used to shoot them in golf course ponds during migration at night with a bow and arrow fishing reel rig.Hey. I was poor back then but I ate damn well.
Those are the wild ones. Did you ever try farm raised goose? The white ones?
No and probably wouldn't. I don't trust commercial food(especially US) and don't live in a good clime to grow goose....
What special climate does it take to raise geese?
It does not take a special climate. Canadian Geese never leave Ohio during the winter and it gets pretty cold here. It is more of a food thing, we have enough corn left over from harvest on the ground to feed them, so they stay. You can about bet any goose shot after Nov. 11 around here will have a stomache full of corn when you prepare them. Very few people farm them due to their high content of dark meat. That is why so few out side of hunting have ate them. Those who do farm them usually have orchards and actually farm them for their poop. Apple, peach and pair trees grow realy well on goose droppings.

They come onto my patio and shit all over the place. I have to go out there and hose it off. Ech. It is so disgusting. They are very loud and obnoxious too. The swans and geese fight all the time. The swans will kill goslings if they get the chance. They are very territorial. I've saved many baby geese from being stomped to death by swans.

I don't get angry when an animal bites me because I know it doesn't know any better or it's just instinct. I'm an animal lover, so I've been bit by a lot of animals. Chipmunks, one of the most vicious of the forest dwelling creatures.

"I don't get angry when an animal bites me"

What if a lion bit you, that should make you fucking angry :smoke::poke:

Well then apparently I was much too close to it. :lol:

Yes, It's tasty. Kinda like all greasy dark meat.

I hate geese. My friend's wife's BFF has a flock of them, they're a PITA anytime we visit.
I remember a friend had a goose when I was a kid

It would attack me any time I visited. Hated the thing

I'd like to go over with a sawed-off and kill the 1st one that comes up to nip me.

They are just defending their territories or babies.

^^^^ You Hippy most people would just blast the things with both barrels :smoke:

Chicken is my favorite poultry. It is versatile and mild tasting and that is how I like it. After observing the geese out in my yard, I'm not interested at all in eating one of them. :D

I could never eat duck or rabbit, this is an emotional situation because I adore fluffy ducks and bunny rabbits, emotionally I could not eat them they are two of Gods Most Adorable Creatures on this earth for us to adore not eat.

Everything has to poop, animal lover.

I've never had it, seen it offered on a restaurant menu or served at anyone's home or for sale at the supermarket.
Just wondering what domestic goose tastes like and why it seems to be shunned, at least in the Northeast?

(I had wild goose, once, smoked, at a Christmas buffet. That's not what I'm talking about, though.)

I don't know. After seeing them crapping all over the place, I don't think they are very appetizing. They seem like pretty dirty birds.

Everything with a digestive system craps.

i have a little greasy

I could never eat duck or rabbit, this is an emotional situation because I adore fluffy ducks and bunny rabbits, emotionally I could not eat them they are two of Gods Most Adorable Creatures on this earth for us to adore not eat.
She who has the best chicken memes on Earth?
"Speak to me, _______" is still my favorite from the Easter Egg thread. Still makes me laugh when I think of it.
I love rabbit, duck, venison even though I would never in a million years kill one.
I had a friend whose mom made THE best mincemeat on the planet with venison and lots of brandy, no candied fruit. She refused to eat it because Bambi was in it. I know what you mean but I'm far too weak to stand on principal when something tastes good.

I don't know. After seeing them crapping all over the place, I don't think they are very appetizing. They seem like pretty dirty birds.

them the goose crapping all over is not as disturbing as

seeing them pick through crap

or making a day of it feeding in

sewer ponds and calling it home

Forum List

Back