Anyone ever had Goose?

I've never had it, seen it offered on a restaurant menu or served at anyone's home or for sale at the supermarket.
Just wondering what domestic goose tastes like and why it seems to be shunned, at least in the Northeast?

(I had wild goose, once, smoked, at a Christmas buffet. That's not what I'm talking about, though.)

We always have Weihnachtsgans this is roasted goose that is stuffed with stuffing of onions, chestnuts, parsley, breaded rolls and apples at Christmas this is a very old tradition in Germanic nations, the goose, it takes some time to cook the goose though.

Christmas Eve is as important this is when we have Gebackener Karpfen this is fried/baked carp, we have fishes because in Roman Catholic nations Christmas Eve is considered a fasting day that you cannot eat meat, but you can eat fishes.

Sorry OL the OP is about goose but I expand it some. When buying the goose you must buy the youngest goose you can find and also the most expensive one you see, this is very very important because if you buy a cheaper and older goose it is inferior, it will be tougher to chew and will not taste as nice. A fine young Roast goose tastes like an excellent and refined beef, it's almost like Filet Mignon in its taste.

I can tell you how to cook a goose if you want, let me know. We are obsessed with roasted goose, we have eaten it for Centuries.
Thank you, Lucy. I was hoping some of our European folks would see this because I know from Dickens that goose is a big holiday thing over there.

I'm trying to imagine a fowl tasting or having a texture like filet mignon. Sounds delicious.

I've never had it, seen it offered on a restaurant menu or served at anyone's home or for sale at the supermarket.
Just wondering what domestic goose tastes like and why it seems to be shunned, at least in the Northeast?

(I had wild goose, once, smoked, at a Christmas buffet. That's not what I'm talking about, though.)

We always have Weihnachtsgans this is roasted goose that is stuffed with stuffing of onions, chestnuts, parsley, breaded rolls and apples at Christmas this is a very old tradition in Germanic nations, the goose, it takes some time to cook the goose though.

Christmas Eve is as important this is when we have Gebackener Karpfen this is fried/baked carp, we have fishes because in Roman Catholic nations Christmas Eve is considered a fasting day that you cannot eat meat, but you can eat fishes.

Sorry OL the OP is about goose but I expand it some. When buying the goose you must buy the youngest goose you can find and also the most expensive one you see, this is very very important because if you buy a cheaper and older goose it is inferior, it will be tougher to chew and will not taste as nice. A fine young Roast goose tastes like an excellent and refined beef, it's almost like Filet Mignon in its taste.

I can tell you how to cook a goose if you want, let me know. We are obsessed with roasted goose, we have eaten it for Centuries.
Thank you, Lucy. I was hoping some of our European folks would see this because I know from Dickens that goose is a big holiday thing over there.

I'm trying to imagine a fowl tasting or having a texture like filet mignon. Sounds delicious.

Ya gonna pluck your own? :D

Lots.love it. I used to shoot them in golf course ponds during migration at night with a bow and arrow fishing reel rig.Hey. I was poor back then but I ate damn well.
Those are the wild ones. Did you ever try farm raised goose? The white ones?
No and probably wouldn't. I don't trust commercial food(especially US) and don't live in a good clime to grow goose....

A bit greasy....
Where were you living when you had it?

I ate goose(if you've eaten it more than once is it geese) at a restaurant along with duck, but we did used to make duck l'orange..
What state was that restaurant in?
I'm a big fan of duck, too. Is goose pretty much the same only bigger?
Oklahoma City..I used to raise them also, just invite them to dinner after 4 months...

Lots.love it. I used to shoot them in golf course ponds during migration at night with a bow and arrow fishing reel rig.Hey. I was poor back then but I ate damn well.
I have never had farm raised goose. I have had many wild geese. Love wild geese. I have had farm raised duck, did not like it near as well as wild.

I don't think the British do when we lived in London I never heard anyone say that they were having roasted goose, they like roast chicken, roast turkey, roast beef, roast pork but I never heard of them having roasted goose.

I have never even had smoked goose like you mention in your OP, that seems weird smoking a goose for one thing the smoking process will affect the taste and change the taste in the same way that roasted salmon tastes different than smoked salmon.

Roasted goose a fine young roasted goose tastes divine.

I ate goose(if you've eaten it more than once is it geese) at a restaurant along with duck, but we did used to make duck l'orange..
Oklahoma City..I used to raise them also, just invite them to dinner after 4 months...

You ate a goose the size of Oklahoma City? That explains then why you cannot pull your shorts up :smoke:

No and probably wouldn't. I don't trust commercial food(especially US) and don't live in a good clime to grow goose....
Right--geese migrate south for the winter. So maybe it's not popular up here because it gets too cold for them? Too expensive to keep them warm all winter? Interesting.
Moon had his goose in OK, I note.

I don't think the British do when we lived in London I never heard anyone say that they were having roasted goose, they like roast chicken, roast turkey, roast beef, roast pork but I never heard of them having roasted goose.

I have never even had smoked goose like you mention in your OP, that seems weird smoking a goose for one thing the smoking process will affect the taste and change the taste in the same way that roasted salmon tastes different than smoked salmon.

I heard that roast goose was like a popular traditional meal for the Brits!

I've heard that goose is quite gamy, but I've never tried it myself. I like chicken and turkey but mostly chicken. I don't like meat that tastes really strong or gamy.
You are eating it at the pullet stage, before adulteration...

It's getting to be Toikey tyme!

I'm wondering if I should get a ham, too.
We always did when there was a big crowd--ham or venison--and I miss that because I don't like turkey. Thanksgiving is all about the stuffing and the green bean casserole.

You ate a goose the size of Oklahoma City? That explains then why you cannot pull your shorts up :smoke:
You should see the terlit, can't get it to flush..

What special climate does it take to raise geese?

Maybe the Brits don't eat it anymore. They used to. ttps://blog.oup.com/2012/12/cratchits-dinner-christmas-carol/

My uncle smoked the (wild) goose he had shot, and I don't know why he did that. Maybe he liked smoking stuff or maybe he didn't like the taste of goose. That's why I don't really have any idea what goose tastes like, because that was the only time I ever had it, and it just tasted like smoke.

Forum List

Back