Anyone else extremely underwhelmed by military medical facilities, doctors etc

Discussion in 'Military' started by bill5, Jul 28, 2011.

1. bill5

bill5 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just wondering. I have dealt with them and/or seen and heard many many accounts of them over the years and long ago concluded I wouldn't let the military ever do anything more medically advanced than give me a tetnus shot if I could help it.

2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    But the Dole/Albright commission under Bush swore they would fix all of that.

3. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,900
    Are you a Vet Bill? Just curious. I warn you if you say yes I'll be asking questions.

4. bill5

bill5 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not sure what you mean by "vet bill" - I am a 20 yr retiree.

5. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,900
    What service?

6. bill5

bill5 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No offense but I'm not into "20 questions" and what branch is not really relevant as I've been treated (and have first-hand knowledge of others treated) at Army, Navy, and Air Force facilities.

You?

7. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

8. lilbug

lilbug Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Not sure it's fair to lump all military facilities, or all doctors and employees of these facilities together as inept.

Having said that, I know when my father was an inpatient at a very large VA hospital my issue was more with the civil service employees, who, IMO, some were lazy, arrogant, irritated by family members, complacent in their jobs due to the fact that they were civil service employees and it takes a huge act of negligence, neglect, poor job performance, etc., to fire them, and they knew it. I aksed one of them where I could locate a wheelchair to wheel my father outside for a visit with the family. I asked three times and then just stood there, when the nurse saw I wasn't going to move on, without a word, she threw a clipboard on the counter, huffed out of her seat and went and jerked up open a closet where there were wheelchairs and huffed off. All she had to do is direct me to the closet less than 3 feet away I would have gotten the wheelchair myself.

At the clinic where I get care, I love my doctor. He takes time with me, has a very caring and patient nature. Answers my questions and does not ever make me feel like he is rushing or I'm a bother. The support staff there, however, the lady at the front desk and the nurse, are about as rude as they come, like the folks being seen are a nuisance and they can't be bothered with just being courteous. There apperance is atrocious, wearing flip-flops and faded, worn-out shorts to work. In the private sector, you are required to wear a unfiorm, scrubs or suitable street clothes, and open-toed shoes of any kind are not allowed. If I had talked to any of the patients they way the gals at my clinic talk to those vets, I'd have been fired on the spot. The lady at the front desk called me out loudly, so the entire waiting room and a doctor could hear, that I was last for my visit...I informed her my paperwork indicated I was actually to be there 15 minutes later than I arrived. She said she didn't think that happened....I pulled the paperwork out and showed her she was wrong.

If you're experiencing inept behavior with anyone, you need to confront them on it and let someone in charge know.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. bill5

bill5 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm certainly not saying they ALL are by any means. That would be ridiculous. I mean in general.

I was talking about active duty facilities - VA hospitals from what I gather are far worse.

Anyone who's been around federal govt for any length of time is not exactly shocked by that. They are notorious slugs.

Yep. If you hear of one getting fired let me know, because that is about as common as Haley's comet.

Again, what a shock....

That's great! My experience w/the docs has been very mixed, but the %s aren't great.

Again, big surprise. They're like spoiled children. If you let someone get away with something, it's only going to embolden them and get worse. Why the govt doesn't get this and/or doesn't care I'll never know.

Ah the trailer park/ghetto element; isn't it great?

To be fair, this is not really so. They do usually have a professional appearance though and on avg far better than ther others - ie your overall point is well taken.

I agree. And it does go with doctors too. I got once as far as going to see a med unit's commander on the spot because a Major with an attitude decided he couldn't be bothered to see me (I had come from out of state) because I was 5 whole minutes late (due to an accident on the highway, even tho I left well ahead of schedule). Commander wasn't in but his staff got an earful. I was seen. :cool:

10. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,517
    And we don't have to believe him if we don't want to. His response raises...... how shall I say it nicely........ red flags.