Anyone else extremely underwhelmed by military medical facilities, doctors etc

This guy is a reservist? Well, that totally changes EVERYTHING. Why did he not say this in the first damn place?

Last edited:
I was a hospital corpsman in the Navy for 20 years. My wife is a retired Navy Nurse (Commander). I've known her since she was an Ensign and I was an HA. My cousin is an active duty Major in the Army (he's a surgeon). I know a bit about military medicine. I've seen good medical providers and I've seen some that shouldn't be anywhere near sick people. My point is this, the military medical providers are no better or worse than those in the civilian sector. In some areas they are better I believe, i.e., combat medicine, and the like. Just saying military medical providers are all hosed up because they are military seems a bit on the unfair side to me. I think you have an ax to grind and may be talking out of your ass.

Tricare is $460 for the family per year. You are a fake.

Goodbye.
Not for me. You are an idiot, and an ass. Buh bye.

This guy is a reservist? Well, that totally changes EVERYTHING. Why did he not say this in the first damn place?
I already explained why up front. Reading comprehension just isn't a strong suit for some of you, is it? Next time try actually knowing what you're talking about before making idiotic assumptions, as well making as an ass of yourself, "dude."

PS thanks for the snotty little "bad rep point" or whatever it's called, ie: "UHM, 400 a month...and just for you? Dude, its a little over 400 a year for a fucking family. But cute try I guess." My my how some of you kids love the f word. :rolleyes: How will I ever sleep knowing you dissed me privately with a snotty remark?

Given the severe immaturity and idiocy among some of you, I'd assume you are the "posers" (what a cute little term), but then I remember how many immature people I ran across in my military career....

Last edited:
I was a hospital corpsman in the Navy for 20 years. My wife is a retired Navy Nurse (Commander). I've known her since she was an Ensign and I was an HA. My cousin is an active duty Major in the Army (he's a surgeon). I know a bit about military medicine. I've seen good medical providers and I've seen some that shouldn't be anywhere near sick people.
Me too. Note I didn't say "all military medical sucks" etc. I was speaking in general terms.

My point is this, the military medical providers are no better or worse than those in the civilian sector.
I've seen/known plenty of both and I thinks they are. It's OK for us to disagree FYI.

Just saying military medical providers are all hosed up because they are military seems a bit on the unfair side to me.
Yes it would be, and would also not even make sense - but I didn't say that.

I think you have an ax to grind and may be talking out of your ass.
That's because you have an obvious strong bias and so appear incapable of discussing this objecively. You are right that I have an "ax to grind" though. Incompetency and/or a poor attitude from medical people is something I will always have an ax to grind about and with good reason.

Well since you refused to tell us about your military experiences upfront you immediately become suspect. Your initial posts indicated that you were a 20 year retiree, and that is normally believed to be 20 years on active duty. Now I am no expert on Reserve retirement but I have doubts that they actually retire at 20 years. Nor am I any professed expert at reserve benefits. But I can always ask the experts that I see when I volunteer over at the VA Clinic.

As far as military medicine in all my years (22 active duty and Tricare since it's inception) I've only had 2 complaints about the healthcare that I or my family received. I'd say that's not a bad record.

Just wondering. I have dealt with them and/or seen and heard many many accounts of them over the years and long ago concluded I wouldn't let the military ever do anything more medically advanced than give me a tetnus shot if I could help it.

Not a clue what its like today, but in my day the NAV was often on the cutting edge of medical techology.

Of couse the fact that I was working 48 hours a week (plue extra duty occassionally) for the pricely takehome sum of $46 dollar a month in New York City in the early 70's made all that possible, too, I suppose.

Again by no means am I saying it's all bad. I was seen at the Portsmouth facility which had a good rep and IMO deservedly so. Although that's probably the only good thing that can be said for Portsmouth. :cool:

Just wondering. I have dealt with them and/or seen and heard many many accounts of them over the years and long ago concluded I wouldn't let the military ever do anything more medically advanced than give me a tetnus shot if I could help it.

That is really too bad Bill, because I have had excellent VA medical care, and wouldn't think of going anywhere else. I completely trust their services, advice, etc., with my life. It would cost me $5,000. a month with a private carrier to have the care I get free from the VA. I have all the latest designer drugs, technology, transportation, short appointment wait times, online & in-office monitoring, excellent medical professionals, and if they can't handle it, they will send me to experts. But there is no lengths they won't go for veterans. They even will retrofit your house or car or office etc. if you need special disabled care. I wish everyone could have the medical program I have.:eusa_angel:

Tricare is $460 for the family per year. You are a fake.

Goodbye.
Not for me. You are an idiot, and an ass. Buh bye.

I already explained why up front. Reading comprehension just isn't a strong suit for some of you, is it? Next time try actually knowing what you're talking about before making idiotic assumptions, as well making as an ass of yourself, "dude."

PS thanks for the snotty little "bad rep point" or whatever it's called, ie: "UHM, 400 a month...and just for you? Dude, its a little over 400 a year for a fucking family. But cute try I guess." My my how some of you kids love the f word. :rolleyes: How will I ever sleep knowing you dissed me privately with a snotty remark?

Given the severe immaturity and idiocy among some of you, I'd assume you are the "posers" (what a cute little term), but then I remember how many immature people I ran across in my military career....

two things...1. YOu did not say you were a reservist.
2. We are not immature. Fuck you. :eusa_whistle:

That is really too bad Bill, because I have had excellent VA medical care, and wouldn't think of going anywhere else. I completely trust their services, advice, etc., with my life. It would cost me $5,000. a month with a private carrier to have the care I get free from the VA. I have all the latest designer drugs, technology, transportation, short appointment wait times, online & in-office monitoring, excellent medical professionals, and if they can't handle it, they will send me to experts. But there is no lengths they won't go for veterans. They even will retrofit your house or car or office etc. if you need special disabled care. I wish everyone could have the medical program I have.:eusa_angel:

:clap2:

Well since you refused to tell us about your military experiences upfront you immediately become suspect. Your initial posts indicated that you were a 20 year retiree, and that is normally believed to be 20 years on active duty. Now I am no expert on Reserve retirement but I have doubts that they actually retire at 20 years. Nor am I any professed expert at reserve benefits. But I can always ask the experts that I see when I volunteer over at the VA Clinic.

I have a mix of active and reserve duty, retiring after 21 "good" years (22 total) out of the Naval Reserve. Yes, reserves can retire at 20 years, but the amount isn't like active duty. I don't know about Army or Guard, but active duty garners about 2.5% per year towards retirement equaling 50% retirement after 20 years and 75% after 30. In the Naval Reserve it takes 5 years to acquire that 2.5%. For me, my 13 years active gives me 32.5% and my 8 "good years" (defined as countable towards retirement) gives me a total of 36.5%. I don't collect anything until age 60 and that goes for TriCare too. At age 65 I think I go on Medicare, but that may have changed in the past few years.

Glad you've had such positive experiences and thanks for an actual adult response.

As a 26 year Navy Independent Duty Corpsman, I have been a provider and consumer of military medical care. We were assigned to Walter Reed after my retirement. The actual medical care was top-notch but the support staff were less than impressive. My wife received disk surgery there from the head of neuro-surgery after he had completed a tour in Iraq. His skills were razor sharp. The new Walter Reed in Bethesda is at the very top of the technilogical sphere. I wouldn't trade my health care for anything. I just hope that congress does not have other plans.

Wow!

There appears to be a lot of XNAV corpsman here.

I sometimes regret not pursuing a medical career in the NAV.

I liked the work well enough, but that 18 mos in the Corps pretty much made me want out.

I would agree with your assessment. I've utilized the VA facility in Baltimore for a number of years, both for routine visits (via appointment) and also their walk-in emergency facility for non-scheduled needs. They "triage" you when you first report to their emergency care facility, so unless you are in acute pain there can be a long wait before you get to see a physician, but the medical care that you ultimately do get is first rate.

Wow!

I liked the work well enough, but that 18 mos in the Corps pretty much made me want out.

I did three FMF tours and I rendered my son his first salute at his USMC commissioning ceremony a few days ago.

I get my hair cut at a Marine barber shop, work out at the base gym and shop at the commissary and PX. The Marines are OK I guess.

Wow!

I did three FMF tours and I rendered my son his first salute at his USMC commissioning ceremony a few days ago.

I get my hair cut at a Marine barber shop, work out at the base gym and shop at the commissary and PX. The Marines are OK I guess.

Looks like the commissioning ceremony was at the MC Museum in Quantico, eh?

If so, I'm in the commisssary every Sunday with you shipmate.

Yes Warrior 102, it was at the museum. Since we live only a couple of miles away, my son had a big crowd of friends and workout buddies in attendance plus a large number of museum visitors stopped to watch. It was a great day.

Yes Warrior 102, it was at the museum. Since we live only a couple of miles away, my son had a big crowd of friends and workout buddies in attendance plus a large number of museum visitors stopped to watch. It was a great day.

Is that the Beirut Memorial behind you?

Forum List

Back