Anybody ever consider the possibility...

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Anybody ever consider the possibility that one or more of the major professional sports leagues are fixed?

Sometimes I wonder.

• Banned
wonder.

Especially in the NFL. After two decades of mostly anti-climactic superbowls, we've had a curiously long stretch of nail-biters strung together.

Oh here we go, Manifold is going to try and tell me that the WWE is fake. Don't bother. I don't believe it... I've seen the blood... it's real, I tell you... real blood... isn't it?

;)

Immie

Anybody ever consider the possibility that one or more of the major professional sports leagues are fixed?

Sometimes I wonder.
Of course they are fixed. They are fixed in such a way as to make a growing segment of the public need to get a regular "professional" sports fix. You all are junkies, you are pwned. It's long been obvious to the rest of us. :eusa_whistle:

• Banned
Oh here we go, Manifold is going to try and tell me that the WWE is fake. Don't bother. I don't believe it... I've seen the blood... it's real, I tell you... real blood... isn't it?

;)

Immie

Rep for the Always Sunny reference. :)

wonder.

Especially in the NFL. After two decades of mostly anti-climactic superbowls, we've had a curiously long stretch of nail-biters strung together.

Of the three major US sports, the only one that can't be fixed is football unless there is total buy in by an entire team.

The nail-biting superbowls are, in my mind, more of a function of coaching trees. In the past, you'd see guys like Jimmy Johnson or John Robinson or Dennis Erickson jumping from the college ranks to the Pros. Maybe it's just my not seeing it but I can't remember the last time a NCAA Div I champion took a head coaching job in the NFL. Jim Trestle still at OSU; Phil Fulmer, retired from Tennessee. Miles still at LSU. Carroll still at USC for the time being. Mack Brown still at Texas, Urban Meyer still at Florida. So what you have is a bunch of guys from similiar coaching trees now coaching teams. And you end up with similiar offense and defense schemes. So, by that logic, you end up with very closely coached teams. Add in a salary cap and scouting services where everybody basically gets the same information and you end up with evenly matched teams across the board.

Besides, in the NFL, if you drop a pass, the ref doesn't award you the first down. Ball markings are a matter of feet if not inches. I don't see how you get the NFL to be rigged.

Basketball on the other hand...lets look at what we all know:

Michael Jordan never played a game where he didn't travel; repeatedly.
Akeem Olujewon never played a game where he didn't travel; repeatedly.
The illegal "zone defense" is called about once a game.
Tim Donejee was busted for fixing games.
Apparently Ed Rush one time asked the official scorer "How many fouls does Shaq have?" before assinging a call to a player once.
There was once a scandal by which NBA refs traded in their first class tickets for coach or business class, pocketed the difference, and never claimed it on their taxes.

I'm not saying the NBA is rigged and the number of San Antonio championships bears out that it isn't. However, if you were going to pick a league that was fixed, it would be much easier to fix the NBA than any other league.

NASCAR Sprint Cup may not be exactly "fixed" but there are some situations where some drivers and teams are given an advantage. this is especially the case in restrictor plate racing. :eusa_shhh:

Forum List

Back