any questions about Iran?

I bet 80% of Iranian people share the same hatred toward Arabs as you have at a level that can be considered as racism. the same goes with Arabs, they hate us too.
Very true!

we never had any problems with jews.
I have said it before the Persian have by far been the best to the Jews than anyother people!

even if it was not Cyrus, the great, the jew culture would have been destroyed years ago.
Maybe not destroyed, but possibly faded away. After the Babloyians (Iraqis) conquered Israel/Judea and destroyed the first temple. It was Cyrus the Great the retook Israel from the Babaloyians (sp?) and allowed the Jews to return in great numbers, he allowed freedom of religion (a millenium before its time), allowed the great temple to be rebuilt and gave the Jews nearly automous rule in Israel. Cyrus completely lived up to the Great part (unlike that Alexander character)!

I think Iranians, Israelis and Arabs, all are on the wrong sides of the equation here! that's all USA's fault, and God knows how we can fix this!
Turkey has a role for ruling over the lands for so long and destroying the identity of the people, Britian and France have a role for the way they handled things. The US has a role for the way they handled the Shah, built up Sadam and they took him out. But I think the Arabs and the Persians have they high stake int he chaos themselves.

you know much less about my country than I know about your country, so don't give me speech about how my country is and how your country is. people overthrown the puppet dictator, and regained their independence, and they will never go back to those days when we should have got US permission for our internal affairs. sorry, but that's an impossible dream. future is so bright for Iranians, unless US ruins it with a war. and honestly, I don't see any threats by Israel. US government in these 8 years has proved that he's the biggest enemy of independence of third world countries, and biggest threat in our path of success.

Believe me, as long as you continue to let the fundamentalist Ayotallahs rule over you, you have much less freedom today than you did 50 years ago. I don't support a US-installed puppet government in Iran. I support an Iranian elected government that supports religious freedom and human rights in Iran. You don't have that now and you thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence, but your Grand Ayotallah is an incarnation of Satan himself. Of course, you would never be able to say that in Iran, because if you did, you would be killed.

People charged for criticizing Ali Khamenei

Insulting the Leader is a crime in the Islamic Republic of Iran, and Khamenei, who has been called "notoriously thin-skinned,"[15] has not been hesitant in seeing this law enforced against journalists and writers in Iran. Even family members are not immune, as his younger brother, the reformist cleric Hadi Khamenei, was "brutally beaten ... after a sermon in which he criticized the powers of the Supreme Leader," by Basij militia loyal to him.[15] Some writers, journalists and politicians who have been charged with "insulting Ali Khamenei" include:

Freedom? What freedom? You're a chained dog in the corner. At least 40% of Iran is below the poverty line. Iran Economy 2008, CIA World Factbook

So you can claim that Iran is a great country, but 26 million people who live in Iran may disagree with you. Incredible, isn't it? You have your religion, your Qu'uran, your mosques, but you don't have the basic needs of human life.

Believe me, as long as you continue to let the fundamentalist Ayotallahs rule over you, you have much less freedom today than you did 50 years ago. .
You are such an idiot DavidS

50 years ago the Iranian people were being terrorized and murdered by the U.S. installed puppet dictator the Shah of Iran.

His brutal government used the notorious SAVAK Iranian intelligence agency to kidnapp and murder hundreds of thousands of Iranian people..

The Iranian people finally took back their country from the Shah.

Now Iran is a Free country with the government of THEIR choice!!

Believe me, as long as you continue to let the fundamentalist Ayotallahs rule over you, you have much less freedom today than you did 50 years ago. I don't support a US-installed puppet government in Iran. I support an Iranian elected government that supports religious freedom and human rights in Iran. You don't have that now and you thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence, but your Grand Ayotallah is an incarnation of Satan himself. Of course, you would never be able to say that in Iran, because if you did, you would be killed.

People charged for criticizing Ali Khamenei

Insulting the Leader is a crime in the Islamic Republic of Iran, and Khamenei, who has been called "notoriously thin-skinned,"[15] has not been hesitant in seeing this law enforced against journalists and writers in Iran. Even family members are not immune, as his younger brother, the reformist cleric Hadi Khamenei, was "brutally beaten ... after a sermon in which he criticized the powers of the Supreme Leader," by Basij militia loyal to him.[15] Some writers, journalists and politicians who have been charged with "insulting Ali Khamenei" include:

Freedom? What freedom? You're a chained dog in the corner. At least 40% of Iran is below the poverty line. Iran Economy 2008, CIA World Factbook

So you can claim that Iran is a great country, but 26 million people who live in Iran may disagree with you. Incredible, isn't it? You have your religion, your Qu'uran, your mosques, but you don't have the basic needs of human life.

you're not better. I don't need to give you a link on what happened to American economy this, do I? at least, our government doesn't keep us ignorant about world affairs by using mass media. and about the journalists you named, everybody here knows that they were getting paid by US to propagandize against government. you wanna argue with me on our internal affairs? good luck with that!

Thanks for that Perham, it's a valuable insight. I think it's important for those of us outside Iran to see things in perspective....in fact we can all defy our governments by finding out things from individuals without the government filters, simply exchanging messages between and amongst individuals is a great thing. More power to us little folks :)

Our government doesn't prevent us from doing that, obviously, so there is no "defiance" required.

you know much less about my country than I know about your country, so don't give me speech about how my country is and how your country is. people overthrown the puppet dictator, and regained their independence, and they will never go back to those days when we should have got US permission for our internal affairs. sorry, but that's an impossible dream. future is so bright for Iranians, unless US ruins it with a war. and honestly, I don't see any threats by Israel. US government in these 8 years has proved that he's the biggest enemy of independence of third world countries, and biggest threat in our path of success.

Yeah, we certainly messed up the "independence" of Iraq.

What are the other third world countries whose independence we have messed up?

you're not better. I don't need to give you a link on what happened to American economy this, do I? at least, our government doesn't keep us ignorant about world affairs by using mass media. and about the journalists you named, everybody here knows that they were getting paid by US to propagandize against government. you wanna argue with me on our internal affairs? good luck with that!

My friend, I'm not saying we're better or worse. I'm saying through the power of change, you can become a democracy and give yourselves freedoms you've only dreamed of. Our economy took a wrong turn on a very, very long road...under Obama we'll get back on the highway to prosperity. A recession in America means that our purchasing power decreases by an amount of your ENTIRE GDP - we just passed a bill in Congress for $700 billion, which is 98% of your GDP. People have the freedom to make money doing any job they want to do. Right now, I can quit my job and with my experience become a graphic designer. I can make a salary which is based off of the value I am to the corporation and what the market price is for my job, save up money, and buy a home anywhere I want to, or buy land and build my own home with enough money.

This is the freedom that America has given me and everyone else who lives in America. This is freedom YOU and everyone you love and you care about can have one day if you're ever brave enough to overthrow the totoleterian religious dictator, the Grand Ayotollah and install a pariliament government. You don't have to ask America permission, you don't have to ask anyone permission, you can do as you like... but I'm willing to bet you know someone who is very poor. Wouldn't you like a better life for them? Unlike Americans, your country doesn't allow you to change from being poor to rich. I've been both. I've been so dirt poor that I would WISH for poverty. And I'm not, by any means rich right now, but I can be if I choose to be. Can you say that?

You are such an idiot DavidS

50 years ago the Iranian people were being terrorized and murdered by the U.S. installed puppet dictator the Shah of Iran.

His brutal government used the notorious SAVAK Iranian intelligence agency to kidnapp and murder hundreds of thousands of Iranian people..

The Iranian people finally took back their country from the Shah.

Now Iran is a Free country with the government of THEIR choice!!

I don't defend the Shah. The Shah was a horrible, ruthless leader, on par with Stalin. But Iran didn't do themselves much better by putting in a religious dictator. The President of Iran holds about as much power as you or I do in American government. The real power lies with the Grand Ayotollah.

My friend, I'm not saying we're better or worse. I'm saying through the power of change, you can become a democracy and give yourselves freedoms you've only dreamed of. Our economy took a wrong turn on a very, very long road...under Obama we'll get back on the highway to prosperity. A recession in America means that our purchasing power decreases by an amount of your ENTIRE GDP - we just passed a bill in Congress for $700 billion, which is 98% of your GDP. People have the freedom to make money doing any job they want to do. Right now, I can quit my job and with my experience become a graphic designer. I can make a salary which is based off of the value I am to the corporation and what the market price is for my job, save up money, and buy a home anywhere I want to, or buy land and build my own home with enough money.

This is the freedom that America has given me and everyone else who lives in America. This is freedom YOU and everyone you love and you care about can have one day if you're ever brave enough to overthrow the totoleterian religious dictator, the Grand Ayotollah and install a pariliament government. You don't have to ask America permission, you don't have to ask anyone permission, you can do as you like... but I'm willing to bet you know someone who is very poor. Wouldn't you like a better life for them? Unlike Americans, your country doesn't allow you to change from being poor to rich. I've been both. I've been so dirt poor that I would WISH for poverty. And I'm not, by any means rich right now, but I can be if I choose to be. Can you say that?

I was writing a hot-headed response to your post, I just ignored it. you're so misinformed about how Iran actually is, and it's not your fault, it's your media's fault. just for the last part, I born in an average family. I became financially independent from my family when I was 16, and while I'm still 21, I have a fortune and a very good job, I have few assets and I'm looking forward to my first billion tomans (~ 1 million dollars) in a few years. that's quite like living the Ameri...err... Iranian Dream!

p.s. you could have been a very good preacher. (you aren't now, are you?!)

Yeah, we certainly messed up the "independence" of Iraq.

What are the other third world countries whose independence we have messed up?

Chile, Cuba, Panama, Iran, Pakistan, Vietnam, South Korea. just off the top of my mind. and you yourself created the mess of Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting Sadam and creating Taliban.

Chile, Cuba, Panama, Iran, Pakistan, Vietnam, South Korea. just off the top of my mind. and you yourself created the mess of Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting Sadam and creating Taliban.
all those countries are independent
and we had nothing to do with Saddam's rise to power
or the taliban

I was writing a hot-headed response to your post, I just ignored it. you're so misinformed about how Iran actually is, and it's not your fault, it's your media's fault. just for the last part, I born in an average family. I became financially independent from my family when I was 16, and while I'm still 21, I have a fortune and a very good job, I have few assets and I'm looking forward to my first billion tomans (~ 1 million dollars) in a few years. that's quite like living the Ameri...err... Iranian Dream!

p.s. you could have been a very good preacher. (you aren't now, are you?!)

So the media is lying that you can't buy land in Iran? The media is lying that the Grand Ayotollah has people beaten or killed for insulting him?

Please, I'm all ears. Why don't you tell us how Iran truly is? So far all you've done is refute what I've said, you haven't offered anything substantive in response.

I don't recall creating the Taliban.
Was I asleep?

And I was under the impression we gave Panama its independence...is that what you mean when you say "screwed up" someone's independence?

Cuba? Are you serious?

I don't recall creating the Taliban.
Was I asleep?

And I was under the impression we gave Panama its independence...is that what you mean when you say "screwed up" someone's independence?

Cuba? Are you serious?

BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | Al-Qaeda's origins and links

During the anti-Soviet jihad Bin Laden and his fighters received American and Saudi funding. Some analysts believe Bin Laden himself had security training from the CIA.

BBC NEWS | Special Reports | Timeline: Al-Qaeda

As Soviet troops withdraw from Afghanistan, Osama Bin Laden and other Arab fighters from the US-backed mujahideen movement form "al-Qaeda", which in Arabic means "the base". The network begins looking for new jihads (holy wars).

Manuel Noriega - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Noriega worked with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) from the late 1950s to the 1980s, and was on the CIA payroll for much of this time, although the relationship had not become contractual until 1967.

Cuba–United States relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After some rebel successes in Cuba's second war of independence in 1897, U.S. President William McKinley offered to buy Cuba for $300 million.[8] Rejection of the offer, and an explosion that sunk the American battleship USS Maine in Havana harbor, led to the Spanish-American war. In Cuba the war became known as "the U.S. intervention in Cuba's War of Independence".[2] On 10 December 1898 Spain and the United States signed the Treaty of Paris and, in accordance with the treaty, Spain renounced all rights to Cuba. The treaty put an end to the Spanish Empire in the Americas and marked the beginning of United States expansion and long-term political dominance in the region. Immediately after the signing of the treaty, the US-owned "Island of Cuba Real Estate Company" opened for business to sell Cuban land to Americans.[9] U.S. military rule of the island lasted until 1902 when Cuba was finally granted formal independence.

This Day in History 1959: Cuban dictator Batista falls from power

The United States government had supported the American-friendly Batista regime since it came to power in 1952. After Fidel Castro, together with a handful of supporters that included the professional revolutionary Che Guevara, landed in Cuba to unseat Batista in December 1956, the U.S. continued to support Batista. Suspicious of what they believed to be Castro's leftist ideology and fearful that his ultimate goals might include attacks on U.S. investments and properties in Cuba, American officials were nearly unanimous in opposing his revolutionary movement.

Cuban support for Castro's revolution, however, spread and grew in the late 1950s, partially due to his personal charisma and nationalistic rhetoric, but also because of the increasingly rampant corruption, brutality, and inefficiency within the Batista government. This reality forced U.S. policymakers to slowly withdraw their support from Batista and begin a search in Cuba for an alternative to both the dictator and Castro.

the most embarrassing part:
United States intervention in Chile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the Chilean coup of 1973, Augusto Pinochet rose to power while Allende died. While the CIA itself, staunchly denies involvement in the coup, declassified documents relating to the military coup indicate a direct link between U.S. intelligence operatives and coup instigators in Chile.[9] [10][11]

While U.S. government hostility to the Allende government is unquestioned, the U.S. role in the coup itself remains a highly controversial matter. Claims of their direct involvement in the actual coup are neither proven nor contradicted by publicly available documentary evidence; many potentially relevant documents still remain classified. However, US Senate inquiries following the establishment of Pinochet's regime found that the US did exert its influence upon the Chilean economy in such a way as to create conditions favouring a coup[12] Regarding Pinochet's rise to power, the CIA undertook a comprehensive analysis of its records and individual memoirs as well as conducting interviews with former agents, and concluded in a report issued in 2000 that the CIA "actively supported the military junta after the overthrow of Allende but did not assist Pinochet to assume the Presidency."[13] Nonetheless, this is contradicted by the declassified documents involving the CIA, in which covert operatives were inserted in Chile, in order to prevent a Marxist government from arising and subsequent propagandist operations which were designed to push Chilean president Eduardo Frei to support "a military coup which would prevent Allende from taking office on 3 November."[14][15]

The CIA was notified by contacts of the impending Pinochet coup two days in advance, but contends it "played no direct role in" the coup. On September 16, 1973, after Pinochet had assumed power, the following exchange about the coup took place between U.S. National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger and President Richard Nixon:

Nixon: Nothing new of any importance or is there?
Kissinger: Nothing of very great consequence. The Chilean thing is getting consolidated and of course the newspapers are bleeding because a pro-Communist government has been overthrown.
Nixon: Isn't that something. Isn't that something.
Kissinger: I mean instead of celebrating – in the Eisenhower period we would be heroes.
Nixon: Well we didn't – as you know – our hand doesn't show on this one though.
Kissinger: We didn't do it. I mean we helped them. [garbled] created the conditions as great as possible.
Nixon: That is right. And that is the way it is going to be played.[16]

There is no evidence that the U.S. instigated or provided material support to Pinochet's successful coup in 1973, but the Nixon administration was undoubtedly pleased with the outcome; Nixon had spoken with disappointment about the failed coup earlier that year. The U.S. did provide material support to the military regime after the coup, although it criticized them in public. A document released by the CIA in 2000 titled "CIA Activities in Chile" revealed that the CIA actively supported the military junta after the overthrow of Allende and that it made many of Pinochet's officers into paid contacts of the CIA or U.S. military, even though some were known to be involved in human rights abuses.[17] The CIA's publicly announced policies on paid informants have since been modified to exclude those involved in such abuses, but at the time they were evaluated on a case-by-case basis and measured with the value of the information they provided.

[edit] Quotes

* "I don't see why we need to stand by and watch a country go communist due to the irresponsibility of its own people. The issues are much too important for the Chilean voters to be left to decide for themselves." — Henry Kissinger [18]

* "Not a nut or bolt shall reach Chile under Allende. Once Allende comes to power we shall do all within our power to condemn Chile and all Chileans to utmost deprivation and poverty." — Edward M. Korry, U.S. Ambassador to Chile, upon hearing of Allende's election. [2]

* "Make the economy scream [in Chile to] prevent Allende from coming to power or to unseat him" — Richard Nixon, orders to CIA director Richard Helms on September 15, 1970.[19]

* "It is firm and continuing policy that Allende be overthrown by a coup. It would be much preferable to have this transpire prior to 24 October but efforts in this regard will continue vigorously beyond this date. We are to continue to generate maximum pressure toward this end, utilizing every appropriate resource. It is imperative that these actions be implemented clandestinely and securely so that the USG and American hand be well hidden..." — A communique to the CIA base in Chile, issued on October 16, 1970.[20]

* "I think this is in the best interest of the people in Chile, and, certainly, in our best interest." — Gerald Ford at a presidential news conference in reference to U.S. operations in Chile.[21]

* "With respect to your earlier comments about Chile in the 1970s and what happened with Mr. Allende, it is not a part of American history that we're proud of." — U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell in a 2003 interview on the U.S. Black Entertainment Television network, when asked by high school student James Doubek why the United States saw itself as the "moral superior" in the Iraq conflict, citing the Chilean coup as an example of U.S. intervention that went against the wishes of the local population.[22]

The U.S. provided material support to the military regime after the coup, although criticizing it in public. A document released by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in 2000, titled "CIA Activities in Chile", revealed that the CIA actively supported the military junta after the overthrow of Allende and that it made many of Pinochet's officers into paid contacts of the CIA or U.S. military, even though some were known to be involved in human rights abuses.

1953 Iranian coup d'état - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1953 Iranian coup d'état deposed the government of Prime Minister Mohammed Mosaddeq and his cabinet, and was effected by Gen. Fazlollah Zahedi, SIS, and CIA agents working with anti-government civilians and army officers. The attempt to encourage a coup d'état, Operation Ajax required CIA man Kermit Roosevelt, Jr.'s bribing government officials, the news media, and businessmen, [1] to allow imposing retired Gen. Fazlollah Zahedi and Imperial Guard Col. Nematollah Nassiri as the government.[2]

This deposition of a formally-elected civil government was "a critical event in post-war world history", because it re-installed the unpopular Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, leading a pro-Western dictatorship, that, in the event, contributed to his deposition by the anti-Western Islamic Republic in 1979. [3]

In the U.S., Operation Ajax was originally viewed as a triumph of covert action, but in 2000 Madeleine Albright, Secretary of State to President Bill Clinton, made an apology to the people of Iran, calling the coup a "setback for democratic government" in Iran, [4] and one journalist has even described it as having left "a haunting and terrible legacy". [5] The United Kingdom has never apologized for its role in the coup.

Dan De Luce: The spectre of Operation Ajax | Politics | The Guardian

Ignoring international law, Britain and the US opted for the high-risk strategy of regime change in order to pre-empt a volatile enemy in the Middle East. It was not Iraq, however, that was in the firing line but Iran, and the aftershocks are still being felt.

Fifty years ago this week, the CIA and the British SIS orchestrated a coup d'etat that toppled the democratically elected government of Mohammad Mossadegh. The prime minister and his nationalist supporters in parliament roused Britain's ire when they nationalised the oil industry in 1951, which had previously been exclusively controlled by the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company. Mossadegh argued that Iran should begin profiting from its vast oil reserves.

Saddam Hussein - United States relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hussein's first contacts with U.S. officials date back to 1959, when he was part of a CIA-authorized six-man squad tasked with assassinating
then Iraqi Prime Minister Abdul Karim Qassim.

CIA activities in Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1968, again with the alleged backing of the CIA, Rahman Arif was overthrown by Ahmed Hassan al-Bakr of the Baath Party, bringing Saddam Hussein to the threshold of power.[5] To carry out the coup, Ba'athists donned military uniforms, attacked the presidential palace and occupied it. The president surrendered immediately. "You're going with me to the airport because you're leaving this country", said Saddam Hussein to the prime minister as Saddam held a gun to his head.

So the media is lying that you can't buy land in Iran?

you kidding?! Iran is ruled by a combination of sharia law, what we had before the revolution and French laws. private ownership is fully supported in Iran and everybody can buy and sell land. at least, watch your own media, man!

The media is lying that the Grand Ayotollah has people beaten or killed for insulting him?

yes. he doesn't do any of this. insulting a government official is prohibited by law in Iran. therefore, anyone doing that, is knowingly opposing the law, and is a criminal, and should be punished, although many get away with it unpunished. although this law is not fair, but it's a law of Iran, and everyone should honor it, until it changes.

Please, I'm all ears. Why don't you tell us how Iran truly is?

your ears don't work on internet forums. you should read my posts by your eyes.

So far all you've done is refute what I've said, you haven't offered anything substantive in response.

sorry, I'm answering questions here. I can't describe the whole Iran in a thread, it needs lots of time and effort. I should sit here and type for years. so, if you have any questions, I'm ready to give you an honest answer. ;)

Perham Though most of what you post to below is correct, I sincerely doubt that all of it is for the simple reason that the posts as quoted come from suspect sources. It is a fact that the United States did many things in their paranoid attempt to stop the spread of World Communism. We could have done far better had we tried to direct the smaller communist governments towards Socialism and even paid them to be socialist. It would have been a lot less expensive than fighting the Korean War (with the United Nations) and the Viet Nam War with a few allies like Australia and New Zealand. Our national paranoia is an embarassment. Hopefully we are past that stage in our history and can move on. Now we just have to deal with Throat slitters, suicide bombers, Train, Plane and Bus Bombers, and plane crashers in the name of Allah and Radical Islam. Together we have to do something about that. We are not paranoid for fearing that nonsense and wanting to stop it where ever it is found.

Is this true that Iran has student groups that claim that more than 70,000 people throughout Iran have registered as volunteer suicide bombers since Israel launched its assault against Hamas-ruled Gaza on Dec. 27?

Iran bans volunteers from fighting Israel - Yahoo! News

70000?! no way. I saw the announcement by extremist groups on their board in our college, but all of them who signed up can't fill a street. 1000 at best.

Forum List

Back