Antarctic Sea Ice

Mixed bag of data, and thousands of explanations, often mutually exclusive.

Yeah, I've noticed that. Looking for credible sources to try and understand what's going on

Yeah, I've noticed that. Looking for credible sources to try and understand what's going on

I not sure who is a credible source, but I am certain that anyone who claims to understand absolutely what is occurring, is not a credible source. Climate is an extremely complex system with 1000's of variables, and you can be sure that most people do not have a clue about it. If anybody can't tell you off the top of their head why it is warming in the summer than the winter, they should not even begin to try and discuss climate change. If you google the answer to that question, please don't weigh in on climate change.

I not sure who is a credible source, but I am certain that anyone who claims to understand absolutely what is occurring, is not a credible source. Climate is an extremely complex system with 1000's of variables, and you can be sure that most people do not have a clue about it. If anybody can't tell you off the top of their head why it is warming in the summer than the winter, they should not even begin to try and discuss climate change. If you google the answer to that question, please don't weigh in on climate change.
Im not really looking for a simple answer but more so links to data and analysis to credible studies, scientists, institutions... Also, a good discussion debate amongst us laymen can sometimes lead to healthy results

A German blog, No Trick Zone, has links to hundreds of recent papers on a variety of climate topics. Skews skeptical. McIntyre's Climate Audit has lots of searchable technical info. It has been fallow of late but there is huge amount archived.

If anybody can't tell you off the top of their head why it is warming in the summer than the winter, they should not even begin to try and discuss climate change.

As your sentence is missing some words, I can't tell what you were trying to say there. It could go either way.

However, off the top of my head, I know it has warmed more strongly in the winter than the summer. That's one reason we know the sun is not the cause of the warming, as a stronger sun would cause more warming in the summer. More warming in winter, at night and in polar regions, which is what we observe, is consistent with greenhouse gas induced warming.

As far as Antarctic Sea Ice extent goes, it's still well below average. We expect that gap below the average to close more, as more open water exposed to the Antarctic winter means more freezing. Summer minimums will be changing more than winter maximums.

Sea Ice Index

S_stddev_timeseries_thumb.png

Walt Meier, a sea ice scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland said:

It is tempting to say that the record low we are seeing this year is global warming finally catching up with Antarctica. However, this might just be an extreme case of pushing the envelope of year-to-year variability. We’ll need to have several more years of data to be able to say there has been a significant change in the trend.

Satellites have been continuously measuring sea ice in 1979, NASA said, and on February 13, the combined Arctic and Antarctic sea ice numbers were at their lowest point since.

On February 13, total polar sea ice covered 6.26 million square miles (16.21 million square km). That’s 790,000 square miles (2 million square km) less than the average global minimum extent for 1981-2010 – the equivalent of having lost a chunk of sea ice larger than Mexico.

These line graphs plot monthly deviations and overall trends in polar sea ice from 1979 to 2017 as measured by satellites. The top line shows the Arctic; the middle shows Antarctica; and the third shows the global, combined total. The graphs depict how much the sea ice concentration moved above or below the long-term average. Arctic and global sea ice totals have moved consistently downward over 38 years. Antarctic trends are more muddled, but they do not offset the great losses in the Arctic. Image and caption via Joshua Stevens/ NASA Earth Observatory.

Record low sea ice at both poles | EarthSky.org

I think this sums it up best. We may be looking at the extreme of seasonal variability, or something more. Too little time to tell.

If anybody can't tell you off the top of their head why it is warming in the summer than the winter, they should not even begin to try and discuss climate change.

As your sentence is missing some words, I can't tell what you were trying to say there. It could go either way.

However, off the top of my head, I know it has warmed more strongly in the winter than the summer. That's one reason we know the sun is not the cause of the warming, as a stronger sun would cause more warming in the summer. More warming in winter, at night and in polar regions, which is what we observe, is consistent with greenhouse gas induced warming.

As far as Antarctic Sea Ice extent goes, it's still well below average. We expect that gap below the average to close more, as more open water exposed to the Antarctic winter means more freezing. Summer minimums will be changing more than winter maximums.

Sea Ice Index

S_stddev_timeseries_thumb.png

Arctic sea ice is below average, what average? The average since we have been monitoring it? What was is 400 years ago? Climate is in perpetual change. You sound like a fool.

And you sound like a moron. Yes, the average since we have been monitoring it. And we know the approximate limits of the Arctic Sea Ice from historical records from whaling ships, and those that have sought the Northwest Passage. And that goes back about 400 years.

And you sound like a moron. Yes, the average since we have been monitoring it. And we know the approximate limits of the Arctic Sea Ice from historical records from whaling ships, and those that have sought the Northwest Passage. And that goes back about 400 years.

400 years ago we were in the midst of the little ice age. Do you know what caused it? 6000 years ago the Sahara desert was tropical. Do you know why? Why is it hotter in the Summer? Answer those 3 questions definitively, and then you can work on predicting the future.

THE ‘LITTLE ICE AGE’: RE-EVALUATION OF AN EVOLVING CONCEPT
Authors

ABSTRACT. This review focuses on the development of the ‘Little Ice Age’ as a glaciological and climatic concept, and evaluates its current usefulness in the light of new data on the glacier and climatic variations of the last millennium and of the Holocene. ‘Little Ice Age’ glacierizationoccurred over about 650 years and can be defined most precisely in the European Alps (c. AD 1300–1950) when extended glaciers were larger than before or since. ‘Little Ice Age’ climate is defined as a shorter time interval of about 330 years (c. AD 1570–1900) when Northern Hemisphere summer temperatures (land areas north of 20°N) fell significantly below the AD 1961–1990 mean. This climatic definition overlaps the times when the Alpine glaciers attained their latest two highstands (AD 1650 and 1850). It is emphasized, however, that ‘Little Ice Age’ glacierization was highly dependent on winter precipitation and that ‘Little Ice Age’ climate was not simply a matter of summer temperatures. Both the glacier-centred and the climate-centred concepts necessarily encompass considerable spatial and temporal variability, which are investigated using maps of mean summer temperature variations over the Northern Hemisphere at 30-year intervals from AD 1571 to 1900. ‘Little Ice Age’-type events occurred earlier in the Holocene as exemplified by at least seven glacier expansion episodes that have been identified in southern Norway. Such events provide a broader context and renewed relevance for the ‘Little Ice Age’, which may be viewed as a ‘modern analogue’ for the earlier events; and the likelihood that similar events will occur in the future has implications for climatic change in the twenty-first century. It is concluded that the concept of a ‘Little Ice Age’ will remain useful only by (1) continuing to incorporate the temporal and spatial complexities of glacier and climatic variations as they become better known, and (2) by reflecting improved understanding of the Earth-atmosphere-ocean system and its forcing factors through the interaction of palaeoclimatic reconstruction with climate modelling.

THE ‘LITTLE ICE AGE’: RE‐EVALUATION OF AN EVOLVING CONCEPT

Now there are some thoughts on the Little Ice Age by people that study such things for a living. Generally accepted that is was the time of the Maunder Minimum, also.

Varved sediments of Lake Yoa (Ounianga Kebir, Chad) reveal progressive drying of the Sahara during the last 6100 Years

Abstract

The sedimentological and geochemical properties of a 7·47 m long laminated sequence from hypersaline Lake Yoa in northern Chad have been investigated, representing a unique, continuous 6100 year long continental record of climate and environmental change in the eastern Central Sahara. These data were used to reconstruct the Mid to Late Holocene history of this currently hyper-arid region, in order to address the question of whether the Mid Holocene environmental transition from a humid to a dry Sahara was progressive or abrupt. This study involved a suite of analyses, including petrographic and scanning electron microscope examination of thin sections, X-ray diffraction, X-radiography, granulometry, loss on ignition and magnetic susceptibility. The potential of micro-X-ray fluorescence core scanning was tested at very high resolution. Detailed microscopic investigation revealed the sedimentary processes responsible for the formation of the fine laminations, identified the season during which they were formed, and confirmed their annually rhythmic nature. High-resolution X-ray fluorescence core scanning allowed the distinction of each individual lamination over the entire record, opening new perspectives for the study of finely laminated sediment sequences. Geochemical and mineralogical data reveal that, due to decreasing monsoon rainfall combined with continuous and strong evaporation, the hydrologically open and fresh Mid Holocene Lake Yoa slowly evolved into the present-day hypersaline brine depleted in calcium, which has existed for about the past 1050 years. During the oldest part of the investigated period, Lake Yoa probably contained a permanently stratified lower water column that was nevertheless disrupted relatively frequently by mixing events. Deep-water anoxia became more stable because of increased salinity-driven density stratification. In parallel, the sediment grain-size proxies record a progressive increase of aeolian input in the course of the last 6100 years. Altogether, all geochemical and sedimentological indicators point to a progressive drying of the eastern Central Sahara, strengthening previous conclusions based on palaeoecological indicators.

Varved sediments of Lake Yoa (Ounianga Kebir, Chad) reveal progressive drying of the Sahara during the last 6100 years

There you go. Anybody but a moron could look these kinds of articles up for themselves.

Why is it hotter in the summer? Axis of inclination.

Great job, you were able to google and paste. Sadly you couldn't discuss any of these topics or events prior to your search. I guess it is safe to say we know that you had very little knowledge of climate and the cause and effect relationships.

400 years ago we were in the midst of the little ice age. Do you know what caused it? 6000 years ago the Sahara desert was tropical. Do you know why? Why is it hotter in the Summer? Answer those 3 questions definitively, and then you can work on predicting the future.

So... you really are a buck toothed moron?

Forum List

Back