Antarctic ice melt could shift the Earth's rotation

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Scientists say the collapse of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet would have such profound effects it would shift the planet's rotation, sending a bulge of water into the Northern Hemisphere.

The enormous ice sheet, which many experts believe could collapse as the climate warms, is so heavy that as it melts it "will actually cause the Earth's rotation axis to shift rather dramatically," reports a team led by geophysicist Jerry Mitrovica, at the University of Toronto. The scientists say the North and South poles would move about half a kilometre if the entire ice sheet collapses and shifts more water north.

Coastal regions from Washington to Vancouver could expect sea levels to rise at least six metres, Mitrovica and his colleagues report Friday in the journal Science. Much of Florida would be drowned as would low-lying areas in Maritime Canada, the Arctic and along the Pacific coast.

Antarctic ice melt could shift Earth's rotation: Study

Scientists say the collapse of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet would have such profound effects it would shift the planet's rotation, sending a bulge of water into the Northern Hemisphere.

The enormous ice sheet, which many experts believe could collapse as the climate warms, is so heavy that as it melts it "will actually cause the Earth's rotation axis to shift rather dramatically," reports a team led by geophysicist Jerry Mitrovica, at the University of Toronto. The scientists say the North and South poles would move about half a kilometre if the entire ice sheet collapses and shifts more water north.

Coastal regions from Washington to Vancouver could expect sea levels to rise at least six metres, Mitrovica and his colleagues report Friday in the journal Science. Much of Florida would be drowned as would low-lying areas in Maritime Canada, the Arctic and along the Pacific coast.

Another one of those great "Computer Models"?

LOL ... seriously? This is the next 'great disaster' they are using? Kinda reminds me of when they said California would "fall off" is there was a huge quake along the border.

Chris, ever stop to think that the axial tilt of the world may just be changing again like it does all the time, and that perhaps maybe that may be the reason for the ice to be shifting so much? Have you even seen an image of what the magnetic poles do every day? Here's a hint, they are never in the same place the next day.

You alarmists just get more & more alarming, heh?

So should we all move to one corner of the planet to balance it out?

No ... think giant rockets!

Whooosh!

No ... think giant rockets!

Whooosh!

I like the moving idea if that corner is someplace warm. It felt like February in New England today. Guess the arctic just wants to do some more thickening.

Well lets see, there is no more or less water now then in the past and in the past there were huge periods of time when there was no permenant ice caps. What happened then? Sounds like NATURE at work to me.

you want to know why I take what ever comes out of the mouths of these highly educated types with a grain of salt
(oh that means I doubt them):cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

I think it would be sweet if the Earth's rotation shifted and the sun rose in the West and set in the East.

It would make my commute both to and from work less blinding.

I think it would be sweet if the Earth's rotation shifted and the sun rose in the West and set in the East.

Technically it would still rise in the East ... just that the direction you are traveling would be the opposite ...

Technically it would still rise in the East ... just that the direction you are traveling would be the opposite ...

I'm about 1/4 mile from the water on Long Island how long before I'll be water front. soon right

I'm about 1/4 mile from the water on Long Island how long before I'll be water front. soon right

Damn, lucky. If the environuts are right you will have awesome property. Seattle is too high above the water line for it to help us, but our piers would be gone so that's not a bad thing.

If the Earth suddenly stopped spinning, how far east would we each be thrown?

Forum List

Back