Bull Ring Another Evolution vs Creationism Debate

Discussion in 'The Bull Ring' started by Coloradomtnman, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,547
    No, you're not wrong. Common ancestry would be the proof of the theories of evolution. I can't believe we will actually discover this common ancestor so it is purely theoretical.

Adaptation is evolution.

2. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,547
    Adaptation is evolution, like I wrote earlier. Common ancestry is inferred, which is a perfectly legitimate scientific process.

Let me illustrate for you how the inference works and why it is so widely accepted: you aren't identical to your parents. Your children are/will not be identical to you. Play that out over hundreds of thousands of generations and the very last one of your line will not even be recognizable as the same species as you if the traits favored for the survival of your line (in other words naturally selected) are not the traits selected for when it came to you. That's why a few ancient species still remain, they fit their environment very well and their environment hasn't changed. Any mutations were not selected for and the species are largely the same. But that is the exception.

DNA is essentially code. Anything can and does corrupt that code, i.e. cancer, viruses, birth defects, congenital defects, etc. If a particular species' code is corrupted enough times over enough years, it will no longer be recognizable as that species. Go long enough and it won't be recognizable as that genus. Even more time, let's say 200 million years, and the original DNA will code for an organism for which we don't even have a kingdom classification.

Remember that the categories into which we place animals are entirely in our minds. Carl Linnaeus came up with the current system based on morphology and it works very well for when we need terms to discuss biology and organisms. However, all organisms belong to a single, fluid, changing process called life.

3. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,539
    Moderation Note:

When you START a bull-ring thread -- you need to clearly specify the participants in the OP. AND -- you need to limit the thread either by time or number of posts. I will do that for you this time by editing the OP.

Other please refrain from posting.. (your certainly invited to set up YOUR OWN matches. :2up:)

In the future --- Use the BullRing Discussion forum to set up the terms --- and THEN put the gloves on and dive in.

Thanks..

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  4. S.J.

S.J. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,629
    Tell ya what, CMM, I want to answer your last post but I think maybe we should move this to the CDZ. I like the idea of limiting the number of posters as it keeps the shit slingers from derailing the thread but limiting the number of posts or the amount of time doesn't make sense to me. Also, I don't care about "winning or losing" because that's just a matter of opinion anyway.
    I just want an honest and substantive discussion without some asshole constantly butting in with personal attacks and insults. I don't care if others want to comment as long as it's done constructively and with civility. In fact, I WANT to give others a chance to answer some of my questions, I just don't feel like sifting through countless posts from idiots who have to include a personal insult with every comment they post.
    If the mods keep an eye on the thread, maybe we can actually discuss this without it getting derailed by the trolls (something I've yet to see happen with this subject).
    So, are you ok with that?

5. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,547
    Totally fine with that, moreover it will allow me to properly school some of fellow nonbelievers on what the theories of evolution actually mean and what science actually does. Misunderstandings of science are a personal pet peeve.

6. S.J.

S.J. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,629
    Ok, if you have time to start it up I would appreciate it. I have to go do some work but I'll be back tonight.

7. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,547
    I asked flacaltenn just to move it to the CDZ. That way we don't have to rehash any of the above.

8. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,547
    Well, they won't move the thread so I'll just start a new one over in the CDZ.

9. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,539
    Moderation Note:

Thread closed by request of participants. Gonna start a CDZ discussion instead..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.