CDZ Another "Evolution" Question

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I am not opposed to the theory of evolution or any other scientific inquiry, but I was pondering the fact that we have not discovered any evidence of life on other planets in our solar system. It seems curious that truly spontaneous life would be so limited to a unique set of conditions that exist only on Earth. In addition, it appears probable that at least 99.99% of the universe is utterly devoid of any life forms. What does this say about the Big Bang theory? Was an inevitable development of life built into this process, or is it a unique response to a unique set of conditions that exist only on Earth?

....In addition, it appears probable that at least 99.99% of the universe is utterly devoid of any life forms....
How Many Planets Are In The Universe?
...we’re talking about trillions of planets in our galaxy alone...
... around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in our observable Universe....

If 99.99% are devoid of life, that still leaves many trillions that could have life.

I am not opposed to the theory of evolution or any other scientific inquiry, but I was pondering the fact that we have not discovered any evidence of life on other planets in our solar system. It seems curious that truly spontaneous life would be so limited to a unique set of conditions that exist only on Earth. In addition, it appears probable that at least 99.99% of the universe is utterly devoid of any life forms. What does this say about the Big Bang theory? Was an inevitable development of life built into this process, or is it a unique response to a unique set of conditions that exist only on Earth?
Water is the key to life

It exists in liquid form between 32 and 212 degrees F
Most planets can’t support that

Goldilocks Zone.

Gravity of nearby gas giant gobbling up space debris

Protective magnetic field shielding radiation.

We has them

The conditions for life on earth are very specific and of low probability. They are also difficult to detect at the distances we find ourselves from other regions of the universe. Logic would say life could emerge in other places, and perhaps in unimaginable conditions. Logic could be wrong. Life could be unique to earth.
Gives one pause when considering what humans are doing with and to life.

What I see humans doing with life is making more and more of it every day.

I seem them taking human lives to previously unimagined longevity compared to only 50 years ago.

I see literacy, empowerment. and the demise of oppressive regimes increasing every year.

I see humans living in what is statistically the most peaceful epoch in our entire history.

Is what what you see when you pause to consider what humans are doing with it?

I seem them taking human lives to previously unimagined longevity compared to only 50 years ago.

I see literacy, empowerment. and the demise of oppressive regimes increasing every year.

I see humans living in what is statistically the most peaceful epoch in our entire history.

A good and reasonable post.
It is right and proper to acknowledge these aspects, though some are highly debatable in themselves.
What disturbs and perplexes is the refusal of humanity in general to integrate what we know about our potential and the clinging to destructive mindsets and pursuits that menace existence.

It is right and proper to acknowledge these aspects, though some are highly debatable in themselves.
What disturbs and perplexes is the refusal of humanity in general to integrate what we know about our potential and the clinging to destructive mindsets and pursuits that menace existence.

Much of what we might consider destructive mindsets are responsible for where we are today. Competition and elimination are just as important for human evolution as they are for biological evolution.

The delicious human souffle many of us enjoy today contains literally billions of broken eggs,

Much of what we might consider destructive mindsets are responsible for where we are today. Competition and elimination are just as important for human evolution as they are for biological evolution.

The delicious human souffle many of us enjoy today contains literally billions of broken eggs,
The shell that needs breaking is the one that constrains us to the material.

As soon as we can eat, breathe, live in, play on, and pay our bills with the spiritual ... I'll vote for throwing it away.

I've this theory there's plenty of life in the univesre .

The Universe Has Trillions Of Life-Supporting Planets. Why Haven’t We Met Aliens?

It's kinda like livin' nextdoor to the f*cko's though....

One tries to come/go and do one's biz w/o them noticing

no sense in soliciting a lost cause
ancient_space_helmet.jpg

~S~

Last edited:

As soon as we can eat, breathe, live in, play on, and pay our bills with the spiritual ... I'll vote for throwing it away.
It doesn't need to be thrown away, just relegated to its proper proportions.
Look at what physics says. Look at what psychology says. Look at what neurological science says. We are confronted by the fact that the outstanding characteristic of humans is consciousness. Consciousness, it should be almost too obvious to state, is the only thing one can be absolutely, beyond doubt or debate, certain to 'be', to exist.
All the rest is afterglow.

Don't let that affect your feelings on evolution.

One way could mean Allah, Yahweh, God, or the Great Lizard Deity set forward the plan of evolution on earth.

Another could mean 1 of every 100,000 planets might have life that gets this far.

I wonder if someone next door on the cosmic level, 100 light years away, could tell we are here. They'd have the possibility of receiving radio transmissions now... Then again if they were just 500 years behind us on the 4 billion dollar evolutionary scale, well, Columbus wasn't gonna get the 1917 World Series broadcast. Or maybe they're 500 years ahead of us and they've already nuked themselves our of existence or worse.

Wonder if we could "observe" a nuclear war on another planet.....

My only pragmatic take away for daily life is that we are in a special place and should take care of it. No telling what we could do to mess it up.

Trustfundie Treehuggers

Uninhibited development of natural resources has created all class mobility. That proves your Zero-Growth academic gurus are secretly working for a closed class system.

Fermi paradox - Wikipedia

Don’t forget they’ve also developed weapons capable of ending all life on the planet. It could be that most civilizations get to that point and end up killing themselves. Maybe that’s why we haven’t heard from any aliens.

Don’t forget they’ve also developed weapons capable of ending all life on the planet.

Simply not true. Humans are capable of destroying civilization. But, we're not able to end all life on the planet ... yet.

Perhaps if people spent less time on the Internet and more time working on world-ending technologies we could get over that hurdle.

Don’t forget they’ve also developed weapons capable of ending all life on the planet.

Simply not true. Humans are capable of destroying civilization. But, we're not able to end all life on the planet ... yet.

Perhaps if people spent less time on the Internet and more time working on world-ending technologies we could get over that hurdle.
I guess destroying civilization is what I meant. The only option is spreading to other planets before we kill ourselves.

Forum List

Back