Another day, another doe. Coyotegeddon 2011 is in full swing....

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
With about 27 days to the next full moon, the bait pile was re-stocked this afternoon with another 120# doe, and what remained of a calf the coyote had already caught.

Don't be a coyote in Elmore County, AL on the night of Feb 18 :)

Come to my house and whack a few coyotes. They're thick as flies here. I'm going to bust some of them up pretty soon.

Come to my house and whack a few coyotes. They're thick as flies here. I'm going to bust some of them up pretty soon.

They are WAY out of hand here. We've gotten a permit from the Warden, are baiting the hell out of them, and are going to wipe them out at night with rifles, specifically AR 15s or other high cap semi autos (all HIGHLY illegal without the permit). I have already seen 14 on the pile a couple of nights ago, and we just started baiting last weekend.

There is talk of possibly using some fully auto stuff, but that would require permission from the Sheriff also, as I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't be too happy to hear a bunch of fully auto ARs or AKs let go at 2am :)

I can't poison them (not this many) because of the livestock and the other wildlife I am trying to protect. But take my advice on this:

If you don't start killing them now, they will FORCE you to kill them in a year or two. You have to let them know that they cannot have the land. Kill enough of them, and keep killing those that move in after them, and they'll tend to move on. And you HAVE to leave at least some of the bodies lying after you kill them for the others to find. They know what a dead coyote means, and they know what a bullet hole is. Keep killing them until they stop coming. Make sure they see you, a LOT, but kill every one you possibly can. It won't matter, they will keep coming.

I will NEVER let it get this bad again. I was hunting them for sport, which is still fun when I do, but what I need now is a mass killing, and we are going to have that Feb 18, under the full moon, after they have gotten very used to coming to a free lunch.

Worthless pieces of shit. They contribute absolutely nothing to this environment (Central Alabama), which they are not native to. And they will devestate the other wildlife in a VERY short time if they are not kept in checked (killed mercilessly, and often).

They say wolves are migrating our way. I wish they would hurry up and get here, because they are the only thing (besides rifles) that seem to keep the coyotes in check. Like the bobcats, they are very territorial, so there is no real risk of being "overrun" with wolves like there is with coyotes.

They are WAY out of hand here. We've gotten a permit from the Warden, are baiting the hell out of them, and are going to wipe them out at night with rifles, specifically AR 15s or other high cap semi autos (all HIGHLY illegal without the permit). I have already seen 14 on the pile a couple of nights ago, and we just started baiting last weekend.

There is talk of possibly using some fully auto stuff, but that would require permission from the Sheriff also, as I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't be too happy to hear a bunch of fully auto ARs or AKs let go at 2am :)

I can't poison them (not this many) because of the livestock and the other wildlife I am trying to protect. But take my advice on this:

If you don't start killing them now, they will FORCE you to kill them in a year or two. You have to let them know that they cannot have the land. Kill enough of them, and keep killing those that move in after them, and they'll tend to move on. And you HAVE to leave at least some of the bodies lying after you kill them for the others to find. They know what a dead coyote means, and they know what a bullet hole is. Keep killing them until they stop coming. Make sure they see you, a LOT, but kill every one you possibly can. It won't matter, they will keep coming.

I will NEVER let it get this bad again. I was hunting them for sport, which is still fun when I do, but what I need now is a mass killing, and we are going to have that Feb 18, under the full moon, after they have gotten very used to coming to a free lunch.

Worthless pieces of shit. They contribute absolutely nothing to this environment (Central Alabama), which they are not native to. And they will devestate the other wildlife in a VERY short time if they are not kept in checked (killed mercilessly, and often).

They say wolves are migrating our way. I wish they would hurry up and get here, because they are the only thing (besides rifles) that seem to keep the coyotes in check. Like the bobcats, they are very territorial, so there is no real risk of being "overrun" with wolves like there is with coyotes.

Is there a coyote problem in Southern Alabama? I'm in the contract signing phase of buying in Baldwin Cty.

I've got a couple .308's and a 7.7 that need exercise.

Is there a coyote problem in Southern Alabama? I'm in the contract signing phase of buying in Baldwin Cty.

I've got a couple .308's and a 7.7 that need exercise.

Yes, there is. ALL over Alabama, really.

GO ahead and apply for a nuisance permit (generally helps if you have some livestock, but DNR is handing them out like candy these days, even without livestock). There is no closed season, and no bag limit on coyote, but you are not supposed to bait or hunt at night (except with dogs only) without a permit (though I can't imagine a Game Warden who would write you up for killing a coyote in Alabama, anywhere, by any means).

Baldwin is excellent deer country! They have a healthy population and they get some bigger deer down there than we do up around Montgomery. You will love it!

But get the permit, because the coyotes are reaching saturation here (and I assume down South as well). I even have packs within earshot of my subdivision. They are running out of "wilderness" to destroy, so they are beginning to get less and less wary of humans.

I'm planning on deer and hog being a significant part of my diet, Coyotes, not so much.

I'll have to consider a nuisance permit. I'll have a couple acres and the wife wants chickens. There is a 50 acre or so wooded area joining me. Maybe that's enough. My problem is an ethic that tells me I have to eat what I kill. I haven't figured out how to cope with that.

I'm planning on deer and hog being a significant part of my diet, Coyotes, not so much.

I'll have to consider a nuisance permit. I'll have a couple acres and the wife wants chickens. There is a 50 acre or so wooded area joining me. Maybe that's enough. My problem is an ethic that tells me I have to eat what I kill. I haven't figured out how to cope with that.

I had the same ethic....until I met the coyote. You will lose it quickly when you see what they do to the other wildlife on your land (and 50 acres next door is enough to feed yourself with deer forever, they will wander in and out). Don't even TRY to raise chickens until you've seen that the coyotes are in check. I have seen them wipe out a pen of 100 overnight. And they love turkeys. One of the best calls you can make in Alabama to call a coyote in.

No closed season on hogs either! You're going to love it there. And the .308 is perfect caliber for both (might want to get something bigger and slower for the hogs though, but the .308 will get 'em). Maybe look at a 45/70 "Guide Gun" (Marlin makes a good one). Its a lever action, fun for walking around in the woods, and will knock a deer or hog off its feet if you shoot it. SLOW, HEAVY bullet......and kicks like a mule! I don't hunt hogs that often (not a lot of them up here, but a few), but when I do, the 45/70- or a slug gun is what I carry. A pissed-off hog is not something you want chasing you, so shoot it with something BIG :)

I've got a nice new .243 that needs a workout too.

Was within seconds of buying a Howa 22-250 tonight, until I saw the Tikka 243 sitting next to it. I didn't go in planning on buying a gun, but I wanted something FAST and light. I'm not a huge fan of Howa (though they're good guns) so seeing the Tikka gave me enough pause to lose the impulse to buy something.....anything.

In my mind, the Tikka is one of the best bolt action rifles made today. For the money (about $600), it certainly hangs in with any of them (The Thompson Ventures are a close copy of the Tikka, and a very solid gun for a little less money than the Tikka).

We couldn't care less about the few of our brothers and sisters you manage to kill, 14.

It does not change the fact the extermination of our bigger cousins that used to hunt us carried out by humans was a godsend to us.

It does not change the fact that we are the champions of the canine world after our domesticated cousins that enjoy your company so much.

It doesn't change the fact that we roam freely throughout the North American continent in record numbers.

You can bet your ass we'll still be around long after you become worm food.

Coyote%20485048.jpg

I had the same ethic....until I met the coyote. You will lose it quickly when you see what they do to the other wildlife on your land (and 50 acres next door is enough to feed yourself with deer forever, they will wander in and out). Don't even TRY to raise chickens until you've seen that the coyotes are in check. I have seen them wipe out a pen of 100 overnight. And they love turkeys. One of the best calls you can make in Alabama to call a coyote in.

No closed season on hogs either! You're going to love it there. And the .308 is perfect caliber for both (might want to get something bigger and slower for the hogs though, but the .308 will get 'em). Maybe look at a 45/70 "Guide Gun" (Marlin makes a good one). Its a lever action, fun for walking around in the woods, and will knock a deer or hog off its feet if you shoot it. SLOW, HEAVY bullet......and kicks like a mule! I don't hunt hogs that often (not a lot of them up here, but a few), but when I do, the 45/70- or a slug gun is what I carry. A pissed-off hog is not something you want chasing you, so shoot it with something BIG :)

I've managed to stop a black bear that went 300 field dressed with the Parker Hale and the Remmington auto loader has dropped 2 more along with several decent sized deer each.
I know what you mean about a big slow cartridge. We used to keep a .45-90 at camp in the Adirondacks in case we tracked a wounded bear into the swamp. They HURT!

The 7.7mm is a bit heavier and slower, but food is getting scarce for it.
I also have a Mossberg pump and a Remmington auto in 12 ga. both fitted with scopes for relatively close work. Then there's the S&W model 629 for very close work.

José;3238127 said:
We couldn't care less about the few of our brothers and sisters you manage to kill, 14.

It does not change the fact the extermination of our bigger cousins that used to hunt us carried out by humans was a godsend to us.

It does not change the fact that we are the champions of the canine world after our domesticated cousins that enjoy your company so much.

It doesn't change the fact that we roam freely throughout the North American continent in record numbers.

You can bet your ass we'll still be around long after you become worm food.

Coyote%20485048.jpg

I bet those 14 won't :)

big-black-dog-albums-some-of-big-black-dog-s-favorite-photos-picture3161-cdy-0007.jpg

This deer has an injury to it's hind flank. Wonder if it was done by a coyote, a hunter, if it got hung up in a fence, hit by a car or what? What's your best guess? Because of the large coyote population here where I live, it could have been a coyote but I'm not sure of the exact nature of the injury.

big-black-dog-albums-some-of-big-black-dog-s-favorite-photos-picture3161-cdy-0007.jpg

This deer has an injury to it's hind flank. Wonder if it was done by a coyote, a hunter, if it got hung up in a fence, hit by a car or what? What's your best guess? Because of the large coyote population here where I live, it could have been a coyote but I'm not sure of the exact nature of the injury.

Really could be almost any of those. When attacking a deer, the coyote will almost always attack the rear legs first to take the deer down, then another will go for the throat or head. I saw a small calf taken this way. The coyote are very smart animals, and work together on instinct, though I have seen them turn on each other when one is wounded or sick.

Smaller animals, like turkey and rabbits they will go for the neck first, then shake violently until the animal begins to stop fighting back. I have seen one rabbit "feign death" and escape, for only a few yards. Never have actually seen one attack a turkey, but I imagine its in the neck, from behind.

Really hard to say from that pic, as it could be any of those things you mentioned, and might even have been from a fight with another buck.

Cuddeback is the best camera out there. That was money well spent :)

Other than the scar, that deer looks very healthy. He comes from good, solid genes. On my land, I'd keep him around until I thought he was ready to go naturally. He will breed with everything that moves, so you'll wind up with a great, healthy population if you weed out the lesser ones and let the healthier ones breed as long as you can stand it.

Looking at it again, the scar looks kind of big for a coyote, unless he was able to get him on the ground and bite again and again and again.

Where is this deer?

Bait pile restocked again, this time with a 160# pronghorn spike that needed to be thinned because his genes are WHACKED (we got one a few years ago, and evidently, he was able to breed with a lot of does. We've had some very deformed racks on a buck or two the last couple of years. They are shot on sight).

Forum List

Back