Rifle for the wife

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
So, I'm looking for something with not woo much kick, but is still a decent weapon, that can be used by the wife, who I'd like to get involved in hunting/range shooting.

Also, I'd like to not spend too much.

Suggestions?

So, I'm looking for something with not woo much kick, but is still a decent weapon, that can be used by the wife, who I'd like to get involved in hunting/range shooting.

Suggestions?

7mm-08 and .243 are probably going to be the best options for a balance between "big enough bullet" and "not too much kick." I assume we're talking about hunting deer? Either are fine.

The 243 is going to generally be easier to find ammo for, but the 7-08, to me, is a more powerful, accurate bullet, and not really hard to find, just not as common as the 243. She really should try and shoot one in each caliber to see which she prefers, if you can find friends who have one she can test. It is VERY important that the gun fits her body too, the salesman should be able to help you there with which rifle frame is the right size for her reach and size.

Look at Savage, Winchester for the best prices.....if $500 is not too much, look at Remington and the Thompson TC Venture, and if $600 is still in the range, look at a Tikka T3 and be done. One of the finest rifles made for under $1000.

gunbroker.com for used guns.....gonna pay about $25-$30 for a background check at your local FFL, but for used guns, it is hard to beat gunbroker or your local pawn shop (DO NOT PAY STICKER AT A PAWN SHOP on ANYTHING used. They will bargain with you).

Don't use cheap rings and mounts for your scope! Leupold or Burris ONLY! They are just as important as the rifle itself. For the money, I think the Burris 3x9 Fullfield II at around $200 or less is hard to beat, but I have had luck with Nikons as well at lesser prices. If you're only going to spend $60 or so on the scope, don't look at ANYTHING other than the Burris Rimfire.

My opinions only, others will add good advice as well....good luck!

• Banned

Suggestions?

7mm-08 and .243 are probably going to be the best options for a balance between "big enough bullet" and "not too much kick." I assume we're talking about hunting deer? Either are fine.

The 243 is going to generally be easier to find ammo for, but the 7-08, to me, is a more powerful, accurate bullet, and not really hard to find, just not as common as the 243. She really should try and shoot one in each caliber to see which she prefers, if you can find friends who have one she can test. It is VERY important that the gun fits her body too, the salesman should be able to help you there with which rifle frame is the right size for her reach and size.

Look at Savage, Winchester for the best prices.....if $500 is not too much, look at Remington and the Thompson TC Venture, and if $600 is still in the range, look at a Tikka T3 and be done. One of the finest rifles made for under $1000.

gunbroker.com for used guns.....gonna pay about $25-$30 for a background check at your local FFL, but for used guns, it is hard to beat gunbroker or your local pawn shop (DO NOT PAY STICKER AT A PAWN SHOP on ANYTHING used. They will bargain with you).

Don't use cheap rings and mounts for your scope! Leupold or Burris ONLY! They are just as important as the rifle itself. For the money, I think the Burris 3x9 Fullfield II at around $200 or less is hard to beat, but I have had luck with Nikons as well at lesser prices. If you're only going to spend $60 or so on the scope, don't look at ANYTHING other than the Burris Rimfire.

My opinions only, others will add good advice as well....good luck!

Good stuff, thanks a bunch.

• Banned
Not too much kick?

May I suggest a recoilless rifle?

:D

LOL, nice. I'd have to be hunting some pretty large deer to need one of those.

I got to shoot off an M136 (AT-4) and a LAW in Basic Traning, that was fun as hell, course that was over 20 years ago.

Suggestions?

You mean she can't just talk the damn things to death ?:eusa_angel:

Women seem to have this thing about being able to do anything a man can do.
Was at the range once. At the slot next to me, a guy and his girlfriend were plinking away with an M-16. The chick, about 5' nuthin and 100 lbs was having fun and with my spotting scope, I could see that she was actually pretty good. She was strutting a bit and doing the women's lib thing.. I asked her if she'd like to fire a "man's rifle", to which she replied, I can shoot any gun you can. I handed her a .460 Weatherby magnum, a real live elephant gun.
She was all set to give it a go until I handed her a cartridge. It's roughly the same size as a 50 caliber machine gun round.
Her boyfriend finally convinced her not to pick up the monster that had probably 200 times the recoil of the M-16.
The good news for your wife, if she has that feminist shit going on is that the rifle is likely way out of your price range at about $2,800

Women seem to have this thing about being able to do anything a man can do.
Was at the range once. At the slot next to me, a guy and his girlfriend were plinking away with an M-16. The chick, about 5' nuthin and 100 lbs was having fun and with my spotting scope, I could see that she was actually pretty good. She was strutting a bit and doing the women's lib thing.. I asked her if she'd like to fire a "man's rifle", to which she replied, I can shoot any gun you can. I handed her a .460 Weatherby magnum, a real live elephant gun.
She was all set to give it a go until I handed her a cartridge. It's roughly the same size as a 50 caliber machine gun round.
Her boyfriend finally convinced her not to pick up the monster that had probably 200 times the recoil of the M-16.
The good news for your wife, if she has that feminist shit going on is that the rifle is likely way out of your price range at about $2,800

Cool_Story_Bro_by_SniperWaffles.jpg

What are you planning on hunting together? Squirrel, rabbit, whitetail, varmint ? How about a nice Ruger 10/22 .22 LR. Perfect for the range, less than $200, inexpensive to shoot, a few upgrades and you'll have a real tackdriver. I have one and LOVE it. It is by far my most used weapon.
Picture004.jpg

FYI - While I have upgraded and modified this one over the years, it shot great right out of the box. I added the Tactical Solutions barrel and the thumbhole stock. It comes from Ruger in standard woodgrain.

Don't do it you will screw up your deer hunting if she comes along!!!! bad enough you hear constant complaining at home now you will hear it at deer camp too!!!! this is why hunting is so popular with guys!!!!

Suggestions?

A raffle for your wife???

Is that legal????

Forum List

Back