Another board upgrade down the road

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I wanted to get some feedback here. vBulletin has released a beta version, 3.6, of their software including some cool new features. I won't install until it comes out of beta but here's some new included features. (I'm including those I like here, if interested, visit the following link for all new features. There are TONS but most are backend administration junk)

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186803

Multi-Quote
The much-requested multi-quote feature allows users to tag multiple posts that they wish to respond to by clicking a small button on each post. Once the user clicks the reply button, each tagged post is quoted.

To increase usability, by default, only posts within the current thread are automatically quoted. If you wish to quote posts in other threads with multi-quote, you simply need to click a link on the reply page, and the text of those posts will be added without a reload.

Private Message Preview in Notification Emails
If you have elected to receive emails when receiving a new private message, the email will now contain more than just the name of the user who sent you the message. The title and body of the message will be included. Any BB codes in the message will automatically be converted to an equivalent plaintext version using the new plaintext bbcode parser.

Infraction System
The infraction system allows you and your moderators to flexibly reprimand problem users. Create as many types of infractions as you want to represent any type of rules violation on your board. Each infraction has a controllable weight (points) and an option to allow it to be applied only as a warning, which alerts the user to their violation but doesn’t give them any points. Additionally, the points given to a user for a violation can be automatically removed after a specified amount of time via the Scheduled Tasks system.

The points are used to remove permissions from users that reach specific thresholds. To be more flexible, the existing user group permission system is used. You can see in the screenshot that “Registered Users” who have more than 15 points will have permissions from the “Infractions – Moderate All Posts” group applied, and any user with more than 30 points will get permissions from the “Infractions – Banned” group.

When an administrator or moderator wishes to apply an infraction to a user, he or she clicks the infraction icon on a post, and is presented with a choice of infractions and an option to send a private message to the user with more information. It is not a problem if a user has disabled private messages but that is a feature for another day. If private messages are disabled globally and email is available, an email will be sent to the user instead.

A user may also be given an infraction from their profile. The profile is also where a user's infraction history can be seen. Active infractions may also be reversed by users with appropriate permissions.

Infractions are implemented as a user group permission (not a moderator permission) so you can also allow any of your users to give infractions if you desire. A hierarchical system is used such that:

1. Administrators can not be given infractions
2. Super Moderators can only be given infractions by Administrators
3. Moderators can only be given infractions by Administrators and Super Moderators

A thread can automatically be posted in a specific forum when an infraction is given, allowing discussion of the violation to take place.

In addition to receiving a PM about an infraction/warning, users are alerted to new infractions in their User control panel.

Pop Up List of Attachments in a Thread
The paperclip icon that denotes whether a thread contains attachments is now clickable. It will pop up a window that shows a list of all the attachments in the specified thread, including file size and number of views.

Receive Private Messages from Buddies Only
You may now select to receive private messages only from users on your buddy list. If a non-buddy tries to send you a message, they will receive an error saying that you do not accept private messages. Administrators and moderators are automatically able to bypass this restriction.

Private Messages: Quota Warning
Once you have reached 90% of your private message quota, you will receive a warning telling you that you have almost reached your quota.

Podcasting Support
Podcasting is a means of distributing multimedia content via RSS feeds. vBulletin 3.6 includes support for podcasting attachment files via the built in RSS feed. This system is configurable on the per forum level.

dilloduck said:
The infraction system outta be interesting.

Makes one wonder if the stated goals of USMB...

The US Message Board has a long and successful history of bringing together liberals and conservatives in discussion. We find that working together is not only a creative end in itself, but also a powerful tool for educating others in the world how to live in harmony. While discussions can get heated, and occasionally even turn to name calling, the USMB offers the chance to all to speak their mind freely. We believe in freedom of speech and the beauty of diversity, and do not kick people off because their opinions are ‘different.’
http://www.usmessageboard.com/

...can withstand such a system.

I've already seen that anything that isn't lock-step with the Republican Party earns one a neg rep... while antisemitics (I don't think I have to name a name) have hundreds of positive rep...

jasendorf said:

I've already seen that anything that isn't lock-step with the Republican Party earns one a neg rep... while antisemitics (I don't think I have to name a name) have hundreds of positive rep...
Read dmp's sig:

Negative Reputation points does NOT mean you simply aren't in aggreement with the rest of the board - it means you present your views piss-poorly, or are otherwise a bit of an arsehole. Far from being a "badge of honor" it shows viewers that the owner of the negative reputation cannot express themselves honorably. Edit/Delete Message

BTW some of us that disagree anti-Semitism have some rep too.

jasendorf said:

I'm not sure I see where the 2 are related. Freedom of speech and freedom to express your views won't be limited in any way, unless of course you break the written rules. I'm sure you can see the difference between expressing your political view and breaking rules that have nothing to do with your views and/or expressions. The rules are there to ensure chaos doesn't ruin the threads or forums, not to limit ones views or opinion.

You'd be pretty hard pressed to find a single instance where I have ever repped someone for a "republican" view. You'll be just as hard pressed to find an instance where I neg repped someone for a dem/lib point of view. I have repped before for intelligent, well thought out posts and reserve my negative reps for those that are inciting rather than debating. Of course others use it more or less as a game, but then again the rep system has no official bearing on anything on the board, it's there for 'amusement' only.

Please don't try to make more out of things then there are, or try to insinuate things about the board owner based on decisions that are thought to make the board a better place.

jasendorf said:

Check out Bullypulpit... He doesn't post all that often, but he has pos-rep and certainly is not a republican...

Also:

Nakedemperor

There are a few others that are not right at the tip of my fingers at the moment.

jasendorf said:

The snip you quoted doesn't say "The US Message Board has a long and successful history of bringing together eggheads and conservatives in discussion." Again, with the reading thing.

You seem to be suffering from "that which you resist in yourself, you will dislike in others". You act in the same manner which you accuse others. Close-minded, disresepectful, accusatory and resistant to anything that doesn't coincide with what you "think".

Forum List

Back