Anheuser-Busch sell's to Belgium's InBev ... still seems odd to me, too

CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California
In addition to her humanitarian work, Cindy is the chairman of her family's business, Hensley & Company, which is one of the largest Anheuser-Busch distributors in the nation. JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008

07/14/2008
The board of directors of Anheuser-Busch Cos. on Sunday accepted a $52 billion takeover offer from Belgium's InBev, putting a quick end to a monthlong standoff between the companies. The agreement paves the way for a brewing colossus controlling about a quarter of the world's beer market.

For St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch, the sale will end a run of independence that stretches back to before the Civil War. The buyout at $70 a share also represents the biggest, boldest acquisition in the beer industry and one of the largest purchases of a U.S. company by a foreign suitor.
STLtoday - A-B's board sells kingdom to InBev for $52 billion

If not odd .... then interesting :eusa_whistle: at least to me. :eusa_shifty:

If Cindy personally owns $1 billion worth of stock (she doesn't), then she only owns what, 2% of the company?

It's just Anheuser-Busch and her connection, which she had long before McCain ever came along. I think it's just the "timing" that seems odd. To me. I understand that there are a lot more companies being sold to foreign countries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/business/20invest.html

It's true, with a weak American dollar and economy at the moment this country is ripe for the pickening.

As you already saw, many companies that have been American owned for decades are being sold off to foreign companies. It may seem like alot in America dollars but then you have to take into effect how ONE euro is worth like $1.50-$1.70 in the US. That adds up to alot of money.

Until we climb out of this recession/depression we'll only seen more of the same happening. It's sad and a damn shame.

It's true, with a weak American dollar and economy at the moment this country is ripe for the pickening.

As you already saw, many companies that have been American owned for decades are being sold off to foreign companies. It may seem like alot in America dollars but then you have to take into effect how ONE euro is worth like $1.50-$1.70 in the US. That adds up to alot of money.

Until we climb out of this recession/depression we'll only seen more of the same happening. It's sad and a damn shame.

I could not have said what you said in (bold) better! It is very, very sad.

That's like the argument where people say that it isn't a recession until the Gov't says so.

A new Great Depression? It's different this time - Los Angeles Times

I agree with this article, we will never see a recession/depression like we did then in the past. However, we will see something just as equally bad if not worse.

It's not my argument that we are only in recession when we are told we are. Like I said, things are bad, but it's not a recession, and certainly not a depression.

Recessions are necessary in the economy, and it's part of a cycle that cannot be stopped.

I have not consumed an AB product since they bent over some some european vampire. In fact, I remember the day after this pathetic news I was in a subway bitching about it to a friend and the three people behind us in line quickly added their rancorous disappointment. i nominate Boulivard as Missouri's new state beer.

BOYCOTT EUROPEAN BUDWEISER.

PBR! you can't get a better tasting 6 dollar 12 pack!

miller is owned by SAB.

SOUTH AFRICAN BREWERIES.

Forum List

Back