Pat Buchanan on John McCain

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Silence, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    when Pat Buchanan thinks you're an angry man you're in trouble

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7FosM6nmo4&feature=related]YouTube - Pat Buchanan - McCain Bellicose Red Faced Angry Guy[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQar1Pp-vZg&feature=related]YouTube - Pat Buchanan:"McCain will make Cheney look like Gandhi"[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCnjBrueji4&feature=related]YouTube - Buchanan calls McCain "Bush on steroids"[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytzWNJlAk-k&feature=related]YouTube - John McCain Will Bring Us More War[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Dd-yg2A4E&feature=related]YouTube - Pat Buchanan on the John McCain Platform[/ame]

2. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962

You know things are bad when the man who got his ass handed to him on a platter by Bob Dole is calling you out.

Nice find Silence :D

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Well, yes its a good find. And yes... and no about Buchanan being plattered by Bob Dole. I personally dislike Buchanan's poltics. And he was always so extreme he had limited appeal to voters (notwithstanding the thousands of votes he ostensibly got from a bunch of old jews in Boca in 2000, but that's another story).

However, Pat Buchanan is a brilliant tactician. Has one of the best minds for politics I've ever seen. Listening to him on Scarborough or debating with Rachel Maddow is actually one of my guilty pleasures.

So is he correct? Might be. Or he could be responding to McCain's intended policies of more deeply involving us as the world's police... that never sits well with Pat.

4. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    He seems to have calmed down from his nutter ways since stepping out of political life and turning his attention to analysis of those in poltical life. I find his observations to be quite honest most of the time, even when I don't like what he's just said about someone I support.

5. greenpartyaz

greenpartyaz Corporate Watchdog

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Even though he is still one of Nixon's cronies, he is finally coming to his senses. McCain is much worse than Bush. He knows little or almost nothing about correcting economic policy, and he has a poor temperament to work across the party lines. I question McCain's mental stability from his captivity. He thinks Bush has done a great job over the last eight years. McCain changes his opinion depending on what crowd he is in front of. He is a maverick only in name, but not in action. He is dangerous to the stability of the middle east and Russia, and Iran. His staff is made up of the largest lobbyists in Washington. He is a hypocrite and can't be trusted. A McCain in office would be a huge disaster!:eusa_whistle:

6. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    This is something I thought I would never find a bunch of apparent liberals praising Buchanan. He's pissed off at Mccain because Mccain isn't conservative enough for his liking I am sure. But if MCcain was there wouldn't be a need for this thread.

7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    You shouldn't be so surprised.

I've been praising Pat Buchannan as one of the best political minds in America on this board ever since I got here.

Buchannan is an old time Republican, so naturally many liberals like myself find much of what he says to our liking.

Old time Republicans (say of about the mid 60s variety) are unabashed nationalists, non-interventionists, fiscal conservatives, and against things like FREE TRADE.

Today's average liberal would have been very comfortable with many of the basic tenents of yesterday's Republican Party.

Both the REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC PARTY have moved to the right but many of the grass roots Republicans and Democrats have not.

And Secrets? Don't believe the blather about Buchannan being so radical as his own party portrayed him when he was running for office.

I no more believe the charges his own party made against him (that he's a NAZI sympathizer) than I believe Jillian or I are NAZI sympathizers.

Pat asked the question: "Is our affection for Israel really good for America?", and that's pretty much all it takes for some elments of our society to label one an anti-semite.

Oh, I totally disagree with Pat when he makes the claim that we could have come to some modus vivendi with Hitler in the late 1930's, but I do not think his motivation for making that claim is based on any hatred he has for Jews.

Pat does think outside the box, sometimes, no doubt about it.

But I think he's a patriot of this nation first and foremost.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  8. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Joe Biden said it best very recently.

"This is not your father's republican party."

And for the record, I do like hearing Pat talk on TV these days. He's gotten much better over the years in my opinion.

9. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I have actually been told by a few of my Republican friends that they think I'm a closet republican because I do actually believe many of the traditionally republican platforms are good.

That is the not republican party we are dealing with today though.

Keep in mind Democrats used to be the bible thumping conservatives and Republicans used to be the liberals. Somewhere along the way the script got flipped and role reversed.

10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Of you fathers' Democratic Party, for that matter, agreed?

I often wonder whether Pat's gotten smarter, or simply that I've gotten smarter enough to understand what he's been saying all along?

Some day I'l have to do a retrospective study of his earlier speeches to see if they still annoy me as much as they once did.

I am slowly (oh, SO slowly) finding myself somewhat more sympathetic to NiXXon's policies as I come to understand them better (or in many casdes AT ALL!)

I suspect (no, I know) that back in the day, I simply dismissed everything that NiXXon did, because I so disliked his policies in Vietnam.

Given that Pat was NiXXons speechwriter, I presume an older, and (hopefully) better informed editec will find Pat's earlier musing more sympathetic, as well.