Anecdotal Evidence........

LoneLaugher

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2011
Inside Mac's Head
I am not a guy who likes to visit hospitals or see doctors. I generally do so under protest.

But...as I am nearing 50 and my family has a history of some pretty serious illnesses, I decided that I would start getting annual physicals a couple years ago.

I went last year....and due to having health insurance, dropped about 60 bucks for the blood work and the visit. My doc recommended a colonoscopy...which I had...and it cost me another $75.

Two weeks ago I had blood work done......and they asked for $0.
Today, I went in for my annual....and they asked me for $0.

Same insurance plan....same Doc.

If I needed another ass camera, it would have been covered as well.

Huge savings? Not in my case...I can afford the fees. But for someone less fortunate.....you bet your ass.

That is all

One month ago I had a heart attack and spent a week in hospital. We had moved from Toronto to a rural community in the Niagara Region 10 days before my heart attack and had no doctor in our new community. The small walk in urgent care centre in Port Colborne transferred me to the cardiac care unit in nearby Welland. Three days later, I was taken by ambulance to Hamilton for an angiogram and then returned to Welland when it was finished.

The good news is that it was a small heart attack and I have no permanent damage. No blockages, no high blood pressure, no high cholesterol. A reduction in stress is definitely needed though and that's being worked on.

I posted this because, as a Canadian, I received immediate treatment, and my co-pay was $0.00. Zip. Nada. My biggest worry is finding a good doctor after being discharged from hospital.

Such is the horror of health care in a single payor system.

One month ago I had a heart attack and spent a week in hospital. We had moved from Toronto to a rural community in the Niagara Region 10 days before my heart attack and had no doctor in our new community. The small walk in urgent care centre in Port Colborne transferred me to the cardiac care unit in nearby Welland. Three days later, I was taken by ambulance to Hamilton for an angiogram and then returned to Welland when it was finished.

The good news is that it was a small heart attack and I have no permanent damage. No blockages, no high blood pressure, no high cholesterol. A reduction in stress is definitely needed though and that's being worked on.

I posted this because, as a Canadian, I received immediate treatment, and my co-pay was $0.00. Zip. Nada. My biggest worry is finding a good doctor after being discharged from hospital.

Such is the horror of health care in a single payor system.

Are you exempt from taxes?

What is the point of your question regarding taxes? If it's to remind me that our health care system is funded by taxes, I am already well aware of that. I was making a point about co-payments.

Forum List

Back