And you think you have it bad

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Gabriella84, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    New York man who was being eaten by maggots dies after he is taken from filthy home

Associated Press

YONKERS, N.Y. — A 63-year-old man died a day after emergency workers found him at his home in such squalid conditions that maggots were eating his flesh, a fire official said Wednesday.

Paramedics went to Michael Link's home Sunday night after his 66-year-old brother and roommate, Adam Link, said the victim was having trouble breathing, fire department surgeon Roger Chirurgi said.

Michael Link was lying in his own feces on a pile of debris and "had open wounds with maggots eating on the flesh," Chirurgi said.

Link was taken to a hospital, where he died Monday, the surgeon said. His brother was undergoing psychiatric evaluation.

The home, a large Victorian across from a school, was overgrown with trees, shrubs and weeds. Inside, paramedics found no electric power and papers and boxes everywhere, Chirurgi said.

Firefighters wore hazardous-materials suits to investigate the house after the brothers were taken out. Chirurgi said several veteran firefighters were sickened by the scene and stench.

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
  3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I'm pretty sure maggots only eat dead tissue... :)

I can't view snopes from work, dammit :(

4. elephant

elephant Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That is absolutely horrible and I have a lunch meeting in 15 minutes.

5. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I was invited to dinner in Thailand with some locals. They wanted to share one of their delicacies with me - Monkey Brain.

Live Monkey Brain.

They put the monkey in a vice type thing in the middle of the table that only exposes the head. Then you take little hammer/mallets and bonk the monkey on the head to soften the skull/brain. Then they cut the top of the scalp off and you take parts of the brain with a fork.

No...I didn't partake. I have eaten a lot of wierd things but I drew the line here.

They were insulted at first, but they understood.

6. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
  7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Correction:

I posted the Snopes link before I read it all the way through. The condition was caused by a tumor, not an infected cut.

Maggots only eat dead tissue, but if the dead tissue is mingled with tissue that is too sick to fend off disease, the maggots go for that, too. This guy was obviously living in utter squalor, which caused disease, which pretty much rotted his tissue while he was still alive, causing it to be an attractive target for maggots.

Oh, and for another clarification, the Snopes link contains REALLY GROSS PICTURES. DO NOT VIEW BEFORE, DURING, OR IMMEDIATELY AFTER EATING!

8. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    i am actually on my lunchbreak now, eating ravioli.

i just have a strong stomach and a morbid sense of curiosity. however, i drew the line at the nick berg beheading. that was just sick.

9. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    DUDE! I saw that once on one of those "Faces of Death" movies when I was a teenager... that was jacked up.. the monkey was just sitting there screaming while its head was pummled by those little mallets from folks at the table...

[​IMG]
    LIVE MONKEY BRAINS!!!!

Now you're probably thinking, "Hmm, I've got a monkey in a cage. But how would I go about eating his brains?" Thankfully, as a service to their readers, the Apple provides a step-by-step guide to cracking open some monkey skull (second picture above). To translate:

1) The chef cleans the monkey's pate, and then shaves the hair off the top.

2) The monkey, with its limbs bound, is placed into a specially designed table with a hole in the center, so that only its head is exposed. To eat it, you just have to break its skull and pry it open.

3) With the monkey's cranium pried open, diners can either dip the brains into hot chili oil or spoon it directly out. Either way, the monkey cannot attack but still feels an extreme amount of pain.

10. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Why do people revel in talking about pain inflicted on innocent and helpless creatures? Have you no compassion? :mad: