And the "Ingrate of the Year" Award goes to...

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
In Old Saybrook, Conn., in October 2004, Alan Hauser, who was parked with engine running, sitting with his mother-in-law, accidentally hit the accelerator, causing the SUV to jump a curb and plunge down an embankment into the Connecticut River, where rescuers (who were later cited for heroism) pulled the woman out 30 minutes later. (Hauser managed on his own.) The woman, 75, suffered serious brain damage from being submerged, and in August filed a lawsuit against the city for not having guardrails, not having regular patrols of trained and equipped rescuers, and not having more signs warning people of the danger of falling into the river. (Hauser was also sued, but the family's original plan, to sue individual rescuers, was scuttled.)

[New Haven Register, 8-10-05]

What is it about Americans that gives them this outrageous sense of entitlement, that nothing bad should ever happen to them, and if it does it's always someone elses fault?

Mr. P said:
Tort reform, Tort reform NOW!!!!

And a loser pays system!

Amen to that! Do you think it could ever happen? There are few things more tedious than being on the receiving end of frivolous lawsuits.
:chains:

nucular said:
What is it about Americans that gives them this outrageous sense of entitlement, that nothing bad should ever happen to them, and if it does it's always someone elses fault?

it is not americans it is those that think that others are responsible for their mishaps and that it is the governments responsibility to take care of them.................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....who does this sound like?

nucular said:
Amen to that! Do you think it could ever happen? There are few things more tedious than being on the receiving end of frivolous lawsuits.
:chains:
I think the first thing that needs to happen, is for the insurance co. to stop settling.
They have started this whole thing really with the practice of settling, IMO. If they'd fight (in court) I don't think we'd see so many frivolous suits.

Do I think we'll see tort reform? I don't expect it...I think loser pays would be a much better deterrent really.

Mr. P said:
I think the first thing that needs to happen, is for the insurance co. to stop settling.
They have started this whole thing really with the practice of settling, IMO. If they'd fight (in court) I don't think we'd see so many frivolous suits.

Do I think we'll see tort reform? I don't expect it...I think loser pays would be a much better deterrent really.

Agreed---lawyers are untouchable and everyone knows it.

Abbey Normal said:
In Old Saybrook, Conn., in October 2004, Alan Hauser, who was parked with engine running, sitting with his mother-in-law, accidentally hit the accelerator, causing the SUV to jump a curb and plunge down an embankment into the Connecticut River, where rescuers (who were later cited for heroism) pulled the woman out 30 minutes later. (Hauser managed on his own.) The woman, 75, suffered serious brain damage from being submerged, and in August filed a lawsuit against the city for not having guardrails, not having regular patrols of trained and equipped rescuers, and not having more signs warning people of the danger of falling into the river. (Hauser was also sued, but the family's original plan, to sue individual rescuers, was scuttled.)

[New Haven Register, 8-10-05]

:laugh:

My favorite is the lady who sued McDonalds for making her son fat. :cool:

now my favorite was the woman in grenich (sp?) who son , i think was about 5 or so, was a "model". well he got hurt playing in a park (go figure). and she was wanting to sue the city for lost wages.

How bout the woman who sued cuz the manufacturer of her baby stroller didnt put a warning to not fold up the stroller until after you remove the baby.

Lawyers are the ones driving this. If there was a cap put on how much they could make, that would solve the problem.

nucular said:

I can see the guardrail part. That part is arguable. Here in MN, it is actually mandatory that any embankment of more than 6 feet and/or more than a 45deg angle, must have a guardrail to help prevent such occurances, specifically for slippery conditions. I know that's not the case for this court battle, but I can see their point on the issue. That aside, everything else they sued for was blasphemy.

it's the liberals of this country that created this mindset.

"oh, i'm a victim! pay me for my own mistake! It's your fault I stuck my foot on the gas pedal instead of the brake! No, wait! That's the car manufacturer's fault! Sue them! They should label the brake clearer! They should have to spend millions in legal bills because of my stupidity, then having to pass those costs onto the poor consumers..." etc

LuvRPgrl said:
How bout the woman who sued cuz the manufacturer of her baby stroller didnt put a warning to not fold up the stroller until after you remove the baby.

Lawyers are the ones driving this. If there was a cap put on how much they could make, that would solve the problem.
i think sometimes the manufacturer needs to sue people who use thier products wrong.
that or they ahve to submit to an IQ test to see if they are smart enough to use them.

Mr. P said:

Insurance companies would love to fight crap like this, but the problem is that the system is stacked against them in the courtroom. Plaintiff's lawyers have tons of cash and lots of lobbying power. They are rich and powerful, and it shows. The fact is that filing lawsuits is very profitable. You can always get a jury of TV-raised morons to award billions of dollars for a coffee spill, and they know it. There is, to the powers that be, no such thing as frivolous lawsuit. If one doesn't hit the jackpot, another will.

The really hard thing to swallow is that it's everyday people who get in the jury box and act like idiots. Kinda makes you wonder if democracy is really such a great idea.

They won't win anything. The national "Good Samaritan" act prevents anyone from being sued for injuries sustained during a rescue provided that the rescuers did everything within their power and training.

Hobbit said:
They won't win anything. The national "Good Samaritan" act prevents anyone from being sued for injuries sustained during a rescue provided that the rescuers did everything within their power and training.
i think the asswipe that started sueing rescuers should be beat senseless

William Joyce said:
Insurance companies would love to fight crap like this, but the problem is that the system is stacked against them in the courtroom. Plaintiff's lawyers have tons of cash and lots of lobbying power. They are rich and powerful, and it shows. The fact is that filing lawsuits is very profitable. You can always get a jury of TV-raised morons to award billions of dollars for a coffee spill, and they know it. There is, to the powers that be, no such thing as frivolous lawsuit. If one doesn't hit the jackpot, another will.

The really hard thing to swallow is that it's everyday people who get in the jury box and act like idiots. Kinda makes you wonder if democracy is really such a great idea.
Good point William.

Mr. P said:
Mine is the one where the women with a wild child in a furniture store falls over her own kid and sues the store.

I recall reading a few years back about some dude who had a heart attack and quit brathing. Some guy administered CPR via chest-thrust method, and the grateful recipient sued him for breaking one of his ribs (while saving his life.)

Another one tha thappened recently is Mr Einstein goes into a National gym chain (sorry, can't say which one) and proceeds to stack 600 pounds on the bar and squat it. Up to that point in time, he had never squatted more than 135. Apply Newton's Law. :laugh: He blew out his knees and back and is now wheelchair bound. Go figure.

Jackass then sues the gym for not supervising him while he was in there (when he had dismissed the attendant) thus creating the accident. The gym settled out of court.

THERE is the problem, IMO. These companies will settle because it's cheaper, so if you have a case against a National corporation (the bigger the better), you're going to get something just for filing.

fuzzykitten99 said:
it's the liberals of this country that created this mindset.

"oh, i'm a victim! pay me for my own mistake! /QUOTE]

Really? What about the "Homeland Security" "TSA" mindset that says making people take off their shoes will make America safe? That bullshit is supposed to be "conservative" but is stupider than any "liberal" crap. Which is stupid enough.

Forum List

Back