And intitial unemployment claims continue to go down.

pinqy

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2009
Northern Virginia
In the week ending Dec 3rd, 528,793 people applied for UI benefits with their state (there's always a surge in the first week of Dec, probably because it's the week after Thanksgiving). Last week, ending Dec 10th, 433,287, (95,506 fewer) applied.

But wait, it's Christmas season, UI claims always go down 2nd week of Dec. So seasonally adjusted to eliminate the usual decrease, the change was from 385,000 to
366,000...a drop of 19,000. 366,000 claims (seasonally adjusted) is the fewest number of claims since May 2008.

In a couple of weeks, we'll get to see how many from state and federal programs are receiving benefits.

In the week ending Dec 3rd, 528,793 people applied for UI benefits with their state (there's always a surge in the first week of Dec, probably because it's the week after Thanksgiving). Last week, ending Dec 10th, 433,287, (95,506 fewer) applied.

But wait, it's Christmas season, UI claims always go down 2nd week of Dec. So seasonally adjusted to eliminate the usual decrease, the change was from 385,000 to
366,000...a drop of 19,000. 366,000 claims (seasonally adjusted) is the fewest number of claims since May 2008.

In a couple of weeks, we'll get to see how many from state and federal programs are receiving benefits.

Get back to me when you want to use numbers that accurately portray what's going on out there with jobs. At the moment we've got the largest number of long term unemployed since the Great Depression and when the majority of their benefits run out they simply stop being counted. They literally fall through the cracks in our joke of a system for determining unemployment levels.

Get back to me when you want to use numbers that accurately portray what's going on out there with jobs. At the moment we've got the largest number of long term unemployed since the Great Depression and when the majority of their benefits run out they simply stop being counted. They literally fall through the cracks in our joke of a system for determining unemployment levels.

Just wait for the adjusted adjusted numbers! :eusa_shifty:

Get back to me when you want to use numbers that accurately portray what's going on out there with jobs.
Well, that's monthly with the Employment situation. This is number of claims, and new claims are steadily decreasing, almost back down to pre recession levels.

At the moment we've got the largest number of long term unemployed since the Great Depression
True, though it's getting better.
and when the majority of their benefits run out they simply stop being counted. They literally fall through the cracks in our joke of a system for determining unemployment levels.
Absolutely untrue. The Unemployment rate has never been based on UI benefits. If you're looking for work, you're unemployed regardless of whether you ever applied for benefits or even if you ever had a job.

Our government has been lying about the Unemployment numbers for so long I doubt they even know the truth any more.....

I await your evidence. Keeping in mind of course that disagreeing about definitions is not mean someone with a different definition is lying. If you want to include kindergarteners as unemployed, that's fine, but it doesn't mean the govt is lying when it doesn't.

Our government has been lying about the Unemployment numbers for so long I doubt they even know the truth any more.....

I await your evidence. Keeping in mind of course that disagreeing about definitions is not mean someone with a different definition is lying. If you want to include kindergarteners as unemployed, that's fine, but it doesn't mean the govt is lying when it doesn't.

3 years, a trillion dollars...and we are seeing a "tick" in the right direction.

Makes you wonder....

No money spent...no government intervention...leave the private secotrr alone and let them do what they do........would we have seen that tick a lot sooner?

well...seeing as the left is saying..

"look, things are getting better..."

Maybe they should than the GOP for not allowing Obama to have a second stimulus?

For the first one did nothing of value...and the lack of a second one resulted in good news..

So where is the left saying "thank you GOP...you got this one right"?

Get back to me when you want to use numbers that accurately portray what's going on out there with jobs.
Well, that's monthly with the Employment situation. This is number of claims, and new claims are steadily decreasing, almost back down to pre recession levels.

At the moment we've got the largest number of long term unemployed since the Great Depression
and when the majority of their benefits run out they simply stop being counted. They literally fall through the cracks in our joke of a system for determining unemployment levels.
Absolutely untrue. The Unemployment rate has never been based on UI benefits. If you're looking for work, you're unemployed regardless of whether you ever applied for benefits or even if you ever had a job.

And if your benefits have run out and you're so discouraged that you stop looking for work you're not counted. Did THAT person suddenly cease to exist? Obviously not but for our system of counting the unemployed? They did.

Keep telling yourself that........ I'm sure it helps........

And if your benefits have run out and you're so discouraged that you stop looking for work you're not counted. Did THAT person suddenly cease to exist? Obviously not but for our system of counting the unemployed? They did.
I have trouble comprehending that "given up looking for a job" scenario.

If one has lost his/her unemployment insurance.....whether easy or not to find a job, I still believe they are looking.

And if your benefits have run out and you're so discouraged that you stop looking for work you're not counted.
They're still counted, they're just not classified as Unemployed because they're not unemployed...they're not trying to work. They are classified as discouraged...a subset of marginally attached which is a subset of Not in the Labor Force.

If someone is not looking for work, they are not available labor and have zero effect on the labor market...they're not competing for work anymore than a retiree or full time student or housewife. They cannot be hired. The UE rate is NOT a measure of "who has it bad," it's a measure of "how much available labor is not being used."

Keep telling yourself that........ I'm sure it helps........

And your lack of any evidence or argument to back up your claim is noted.

I have trouble comprehending that "given up looking for a job" scenario.

If one has lost his/her unemployment insurance.....whether easy or not to find a job, I still believe they are looking.

Yeah, I've never understood the claim that people who run out of benefits will stop looking due to discouragement. Either they'll look harder as they need a job more, or they'll stop looking because they don't really need a job and were just milking UI benefits. Happened to a couple I know...the wife lost her job, but didn't need a new one, collected UI benefits while staying home with the kids and then kept on as housewife after benefits ran out.

It was a good report, absolutely no doubt about it. Economists thought last week's 380k was an aberration. Maybe not.

The employment picture continues to improve, albeit slowly.

showimage.asp

Econoday Report: Jobless Claims December 15, 2011

It was a good report, absolutely no doubt about it. Economists thought last week's 380k was an aberration. Maybe not.

The employment picture continues to improve, albeit slowly.

showimage.asp

Econoday Report: Jobless Claims*December*15,*2011

All that shows me is at best we are reaching a bottom... UE could be 16% right now but we all know it's not 8.6%.

Even the depression hung around 20% UE, just because it didn't got to 45% UE didn't mean things were getting better, just that they hit a bottom.

All that shows me is at best we are reaching a bottom...
And how does it show you that? Back in 2000, when the UE rate was an avg of 4% for the year, avg initial weekly UI claims was 303,726. In 2006, pre-recession when UE averaged 4.6%, initial weekly UI claims was 311,343 And in 2009, with 9.3% UE rate, avg initial claims was 565,025
So keeping below 400,000/week is a trend in the right direction.

UE could be 16% right now but we all know it's not 8.6%.
I know no such thing. Please give your sources and methodology disputing the official number. I'm betting you'll just redefine terms, comparing apples to oranges.

All that shows me is at best we are reaching a bottom...
And how does it show you that? Back in 2000, when the UE rate was an avg of 4% for the year, avg initial weekly UI claims was 303,726. In 2006, pre-recession when UE averaged 4.6%, initial weekly UI claims was 311,343 And in 2009, with 9.3% UE rate, avg initial claims was 565,025
So keeping below 400,000/week is a trend in the right direction.

UE could be 16% right now but we all know it's not 8.6%.
I know no such thing. Please give your sources and methodology disputing the official number. I'm betting you'll just redefine terms, comparing apples to oranges.

I don't care to debate this with you, I doubt you want to discover the real answer as you are busy peddling a false 8.6% UE rate.

Prediction, the UE rate will go up after the holidays...

I don't care to debate this with you, I doubt you want to discover the real answer as you are busy peddling a false 8.6% UE rate.
Translation: you don't have an actual argument or sources or knowledge. Don't make claims if you can't back them up.

Prediction, the UE rate will go up after the holidays...

Quite probably. Not due to seasonality, as that's adjusted for, but if the job market continues to imporve more people will start looking for work, which will nudge up the UE rate a bit unless people gaining jobs outpaces the new jobseekers.

Forum List

Back