American Nationalism

LiberalMedia

VIP Member
May 21, 2014
NC
I have noticed that many people, including numerous users of USMB, seem to have a confusion over a few terms that link back to the concept of nationalism. To further our understanding of vocabulary, politics, and each other, here are three questions on nationalism in the U.S.:

1. Would you describe yourself as a nationalist, and what in your opinion are the beliefs central to American nationalism?

2. What is a nation? Which, if any, of the following definitions of the word "nation" is the most suitable?

Nation - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
a (1) : nationality 5a (2) : a politically organized nationality (3) : a non-Jewish nationality <why do the nations conspire — Psalms 2:1 (Revised Standard Version)>
b : a community of people composed of one or more nationalities and possessing a more or less defined territory and government
c : a territorial division containing a body of people of one or more nationalities and usually characterized by relatively large size and independent status
archaic : group, aggregation
: a tribe or federation of tribes (as of American Indians)
See nation defined for English-language learners »
See nation defined for kids »

As Wikipedia notes, when we use the term 'nation,' we must always put it into context, as it "carries varying meanings, and the connotation of the term has changed over time."

3. Is the U.S. a nation-state?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation_state
A nation state is a geographical area that can be identified as deriving its political legitimacy from serving as a sovereign nation.[1] A state is a political and geopolitical entity, while a nation is a cultural and ethnic one. The term "nation state" implies that the two coincide, but "nation state" formation can take place at different times in different parts of the world, and has become the dominant form of world organization.

The concept of a nation state can be compared and contrasted with that of the multinational state, city state,[2][3][4] empire, confederation, and other state formations with which it may overlap. The key distinction is the identification of a people with a polity in the "nation state."

This thread is aimed at Americans, but non-Americans can feel free to respond.

1. Would you describe yourself as a nationalist, and what in your opinion are the beliefs central to American nationalism?

No, I do not consider myself such. The well being of me and mine are central to my beliefs. I could give a crap about what happens to people in California, Texas, or anywhere else but where me and mine are.

2. What is a nation? Which, if any, of the following definitions of the word "nation" is the most suitable?

That one but I would add in the word "political"

To the extent that the term has utility, as much as any other I suppose.

If the United States is not a nation and does not have a national identity, then the inhabitants are free to believe they can be loyal to any country they wish. It might be Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, China or Russia.

I disagree with the OP. The definitions are not what most of us think of as nationalism. The more general definition would be caring for ones nation above others.
People have been brainwashed into thinking that somehow if you say you are a nationalist you will be like Nazi Germany and start persecuting people who are not Nationalized citizens. Thats a bunch of crap. You can want America to win at everything and still be a kind compassionate individual. Standing for human rights and supporting immigrants ( legal ones).

I believe we are an exception among all the nations of the world. Who better to arbitrate freedom and justice and export liberty? Russia, North Korea, Iran, China..Name a nation any of us Americans would want leading the world besides us?

Thinking this are the best for white american nationalists:

• 1. Racism
  • 2. Fascism
  • 3. Nazism/Etnopluralism
What different thinks about this. Two same of third place.

I have noticed that many people, including numerous users of USMB, seem to have a confusion over a few terms that link back to the concept of nationalism. To further our understanding of vocabulary, politics, and each other, here are three questions on nationalism in the U.S.:

a (1) : nationality 5a (2) : a politically organized nationality (3) : a non-Jewish nationality <why do the nations conspire — Psalms 2:1 (Revised Standard Version)>
b : a community of people composed of one or more nationalities and possessing a more or less defined territory and government
c : a territorial division containing a body of people of one or more nationalities and usually characterized by relatively large size and independent status
: a tribe or federation of tribes (as of American Indians)
See nation defined for English-language learners »
See nation defined for kids »

As Wikipedia notes, when we use the term 'nation,' we must always put it into context, as it "carries varying meanings, and the connotation of the term has changed over time."

Nation state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A nation state is a geographical area that can be identified as deriving its political legitimacy from serving as a sovereign nation.[1] A state is a political and geopolitical entity, while a nation is a cultural and ethnic one. The term "nation state" implies that the two coincide, but "nation state" formation can take place at different times in different parts of the world, and has become the dominant form of world organization.

The concept of a nation state can be compared and contrasted with that of the multinational state, city state,[2][3][4] empire, confederation, and other state formations with which it may overlap. The key distinction is the identification of a people with a polity in the "nation state."

This thread is aimed at Americans, but non-Americans can feel free to respond.

1. Yes. I am an American Nationalist. I do not think that "beliefs" are really part of Nationalism. I am not a Nationalist because I believe that Capitalism is the best basis for any economy but because I believe that America should have policies and results of policies that are to the benefit of America.

2. Yes we are a nation. We are a nation where the social cohesion is under assault by Diversity and high levels of immigration and liberalism, but we are still a nation.

3. Yes. Obviously.

I am an American and a citizen of the United States which is the greatest Nation in the world. What kind of semantic games are you wanting to play?

A. There are some nationalistic attitudes that come across as selfish.
Such as arrogance, expecting everyone to respect Americans without having earned that respect ourselves, but by association with collective identity and history. If this is taken for granted, while looking down at other people of other nations, of course, it can come across as horribly self-centered and presumptious.

B. However, there are ways to be proud of one's nation, and use that reputation to take even greater social responsibility to maintain it and earn respect.

One can be proud of one's own husband, or son or daughter, above the rest.
Yet give all families and their members equal respect and consideration at the same time.

It does not have to become a competitive combative situation.

I think the point is to AVOID the type of nationalistic approach in A.

If everyone has the attitude in B, where everyone puts their family and nation first as their focus,
that's just a matter of prioritizing, taking care of one's responsibility first, and taking pride and courage in succeeding as a nation. It does not have to be at the expense of others doing the same. When done right, we can actually inspire each other to unite in earnest for the good of the whole.

Forum List

Back