America leads the world in 3 day "long holiday weekends"

Memorial Day being the latest.

Why don't they just have MLK Jr Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day on the same date instead of moving them to Mondays?

When I lived in Europe, it seemed like most people took at least a month to six weeks of vacation plus holidays. I can't be sure but I doubt they work as many hours as Americans do on average.

Most EU countries have a minimum of 20 vacation days per year. Public Sector workers usually get 5 or 6 weeks per annum. They also have the European Working Time Directive which caps working hours at 48 per week.

I'm curious as to where Swallow gets his 'Americans work longer hours' thing from though because last time I read up on the subject, Australians worked longer hours than any other country.

Memorial Day being the latest.

Why don't they just have MLK Jr Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day on the same date instead of moving them to Mondays?

When I lived in Europe, it seemed like most people took at least a month to six weeks of vacation plus holidays. I can't be sure but I doubt they work as many hours as Americans do on average.

Most EU countries have a minimum of 20 vacation days per year. Public Sector workers usually get 5 or 6 weeks per annum. They also have the European Working Time Directive which caps working hours at 48 per week.

I'm curious as to where Swallow gets his 'Americans work longer hours' thing from though because last time I read up on the subject, Australians worked longer hours than any other country.

That sounds more accurate. Although there must be exceptions because I worked exclusively with M&A attorneys over there and they definitely put in some long hours. Of course, some of them told me they took 2 or 3 months of vacation a year. Since I own a business, I actually prefer long week-ends during the year and then we take our long vacation at the end of the year because business literally comes to a stand-still during the holidays.

Forum List

Back