Amazing Quotations: favorite quotes

1700174567688.png

Camus never said that seriously , you know.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live as if there isn't and to die to find out that there is.

THAT HE SAID WITH GREAT SERIOUSNESS

No shit Sherlock

Camus understood the absurdity of existence. You obviously don't.

Let not mettá [goodwill] be mistaken as a mere sentiment. It is the power of the strong. If the leaders from different walks of life were to give mettá a fair trial, no principle or guideline to action would be found to possess greater efficiency or fruitfulness in all spheres.
In everything man is the ultimate unit. If man decides to substitute mettá as a policy of action for aggression and ill will, the world will turn into a veritable abode of peace. For it is only when man shall have peace within himself, and boundless goodwill for others, that peace in the world will become real and enduring.

Ácariya Buddharakkhita

Conservatism is gratitude. Conservatives tend to begin from gratitude for what is good and what works in our society and then strive to build on it, while liberals tend to begin from outrage at what is bad and broken and seek to uproot it.

Yuval Levin

"Nuts"

Quote from Brigadier General Anthony C. McAuliffe,

When surrounded and out gunned, the 101st commander had to respond to a demand for surrender to the Nazis, and that is what he came up with. That is all he told them.

Hilarious.

I know of a genuine war hero of the 10th Armored Division (90th Calvary Reconnaissance Squadron). Part of the reason I've always had contempt for the family Trump. "Years after the war, General Anthony McAuliffe said "In my opinion, Combat Command B of the 10th Armored Division was never properly credited with their important role in the Bastogne battle.""

He was kia before the comment. Without the men of Team Cherry, no bulge to save the troops. Nothing hilarious to me. Not at all.

“If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.”
― John F. Kennedy, Profiles in Courage

"My favorite poet was Aeschylus. He wrote: "In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God.""

I still find that ancient poem very profound and significant in a variety of ways. If there is one (perhaps more) points of commonality between Dante and me, respect for that poem isn’t a bad place to find it.

Forum List

Back