Am I a Conservative or a Liberal?

The conservative/liberal dichotomy is puppet theater. The sooner we get over it the better.
Anyone who supports all the ideals and beliefs the media ascribes to a liberal or a conservative is neither, but rather a radical. I have no statistics to back it up, but I believe the vast majority of Americans are both liberal and conservative depending on the issue.

End capital gains tax
Make a flat rate income tax at 17%
Get rid of tax loopholes.
Eliminate the corporate tax.
Get the government out of marriage. I actually support legalizing gay marriage but I don't want churches to be sued for not marrying gays or religious adoption agencies to be sued for not allowing gays to adopt children , we need a balance.
Keep abortion legal
Eliminate 50% of the federal government. We need a military, but we spend too much on it.
Get rid of welfare, phase out medicare, and privatize social security
end the federal reserve immediately. return to the gold standard.
I support predator drone strikes against terrorists but I don't want our boys fighting for the freedoms of other peoples, thus i opposed the iraq war and i oppose the libyan war.
I like Israel, I really do, but we need to put America first. Israel is baggage on us in the minds of arabs. I say cut off funding to them and all other foreign countries, but back them if they attack Iran. Also don't tell them what to do with their borders (like obama did), that aint our business.
* Ahmadenijad must be taken out. He poses a major threat to U.S. security. You must grab radical islam by the roots if you want to destroy it, and the roots are in Iran.

I think the above is economic fantasy and is neither conservative nor liberal.

1. conservative
  2. libertarian
  3. liberal/conservative/libertarian
  4. conservative
  5. libertarian
  6. libertarian/liberal
  7. conservative/libertarian
  8. libertarian
  9. libertarian
  10. libertarian/liberal
  11. liberal/libertarian
  12. conservative

To me it seems you decide where you stand on issues based of personal values and beliefs instead of a set of "party line positions"

This makes you an American, not a liberal or conservative but a red-blooded american.

Dont let the left/right, liberal/conservative, democrat/republican labels get in the way of you believing what you feel is right about each individual issue.

You sound closest to a libertarian if you want a lablel which is neither conservative nor liberal.

Unfortunately the polarized positions of not just our elected officials, but the general public (at least those interested in politics) don't dare speak openly about how they might feel if it is contrary to the acceptable, politically correct position of their party preference. I'm glad to see some newer people here actually taking on that challenge. It's inconceivable that the right is always right and the left is always wrong, and vice versa.

Yep. That's why after 20 years of being mostly republican, when I retired and actually was able to pay attention to the news completely, I decided to register as Independent. Why? Because the tax cuts (from the GOP) are what is tearing this country down. Make 'em pay their fair share (like Clinton did).

Additionally, there are some Democrats that I positively can't stand. Harry Reid is one of 'em, and Pelosi is another.

Reason I don't like politicians nowadays? Because most of 'em lie about something or other, and then tell me that they "misspoke".

Bullshit.

Neither Reid nor Pelosi are popular leaders, but it's up to the respective houses to vote someone else in, not the voting public unfortunately. I think Boehner has potential to compromise when needed and take the political hits he will get, but I think McConnell is a party first yes-man through and through.

Last edited:
You're a libertarian. However, the libtards will call you a Reich winger.

End capital gains tax
Make a flat rate income tax at 17%
Get rid of tax loopholes.
Eliminate the corporate tax.
Get the government out of marriage. I actually support legalizing gay marriage but I don't want churches to be sued for not marrying gays or religious adoption agencies to be sued for not allowing gays to adopt children , we need a balance.
Keep abortion legal
Eliminate 50% of the federal government. We need a military, but we spend too much on it.
Get rid of welfare, phase out medicare, and privatize social security
end the federal reserve immediately. return to the gold standard.
I support predator drone strikes against terrorists but I don't want our boys fighting for the freedoms of other peoples, thus i opposed the iraq war and i oppose the libyan war.
I like Israel, I really do, but we need to put America first. Israel is baggage on us in the minds of arabs. I say cut off funding to them and all other foreign countries, but back them if they attack Iran. Also don't tell them what to do with their borders (like obama did), that aint our business.
* Ahmadenijad must be taken out. He poses a major threat to U.S. security. You must grab radical islam by the roots if you want to destroy it, and the roots are in Iran.

libertarian fiscally & socially. military centrist. I almost want to say cold war liberal because I think you would a been an JFK/LBJ anticommunist, i.e., hardline but pragmatic, i.e., not a paranoid lunatic like McCarthy or any of the post-isolantist far right crazies that lead us to the Bush Doctrine . . . which had us attacking, demolishing, and rebuilding whole "countries" in order to fight stateless terror cells.

How was McCarthy "paranoid?" Everything he said turned out to be 100% accurate.

First WASHINGTON has to start acting grown up and setting the stage for attitude changes on Main Street.

I don't see anything changing if we wait on 'Washington'. They're all quite content with current arrangement. Despite their petty squabbles, the Dems and Republicans are both quite happy with the current arrangement of 'power sharing'.

I was unaware they had a working arrangement. There are a few from both sides who actually know the art of compromise, and they're the ones who form behind-the-scenes committees to iron out sticking points on the major issues. If it were left only for floor votes, the ideologues would demagogue and grandstand for less than 100 days per session (they only work slightly above that number anyway) and never enact anything other than naming post offices.

Forum List

Back