Am I a Conservative or a Liberal?

gbernice

Rookie
Jun 20, 2011
End capital gains tax
Make a flat rate income tax at 17%
Get rid of tax loopholes.
Eliminate the corporate tax.
Get the government out of marriage. I actually support legalizing gay marriage but I don't want churches to be sued for not marrying gays or religious adoption agencies to be sued for not allowing gays to adopt children , we need a balance.
Keep abortion legal
Eliminate 50% of the federal government. We need a military, but we spend too much on it.
Get rid of welfare, phase out medicare, and privatize social security
end the federal reserve immediately. return to the gold standard.
I support predator drone strikes against terrorists but I don't want our boys fighting for the freedoms of other peoples, thus i opposed the iraq war and i oppose the libyan war.
I like Israel, I really do, but we need to put America first. Israel is baggage on us in the minds of arabs. I say cut off funding to them and all other foreign countries, but back them if they attack Iran. Also don't tell them what to do with their borders (like obama did), that aint our business.
* Ahmadenijad must be taken out. He poses a major threat to U.S. security. You must grab radical islam by the roots if you want to destroy it, and the roots are in Iran.

libertarian fiscally & socially. military centrist. I almost want to say cold war liberal because I think you would a been an JFK/LBJ anticommunist, i.e., hardline but pragmatic, i.e., not a paranoid lunatic like McCarthy or any of the post-isolantist far right crazies that lead us to the Bush Doctrine . . . which had us attacking, demolishing, and rebuilding whole "countries" in order to fight stateless terror cells.

Last edited:
You sound like a Libertarian..... mostly..... but I have some problems with your tax rate, the murdering of babies and your assumption that a turd world country dictator poses a threat to a country with 1000s of nuclear warheads.

End capital gains tax
Get the government out of marriage. I actually support legalizing gay marriage but I don't want churches to be sued for not marrying gays or religious adoption agencies to be sued for not allowing gays to adopt children , we need a balance.
Keep abortion legal
Eliminate 50% of the federal government. We need a military, but we spend too much on it.
I support predator drone strikes against terrorists but I don't want our boys fighting for the freedoms of other peoples, thus i opposed the iraq war and i oppose the libyan war.
I like Israel, I really do, but we need to put America first. Israel is baggage on us in the minds of arabs. I say cut off funding to them and all other foreign countries, but back them if they attack Iran. Also don't tell them what to do with their borders (like obama did), that aint our business.
* Ahmadenijad must be taken out. He poses a major threat to U.S. security. You must grab radical islam by the roots if you want to destroy it, and the roots are in Iran.

You are neither and both but most importantly you are a person with your own thoughts and opinions.

I will dig up a link to my favorite political orientation test if you would like to take one.

Just remember it does not define you.

Get the government out of marriage.

This makes no sense – states write the marriage (contract) laws.

Not sure, but I think he meant the removal of Big Government from the "content" or value decisions of consenting adults. Meaning: as much as possible, we should let free adult individuals decide the content of their union, provided they do not harm other people. The LAST thing we want in charge of our religious or marital choices is Big Government. Government should only play a minimalist or formal role in marriage - handing out contracts but giving FREE consenting adults the maximum power to define their lives and love. Obviously there needs to be some rules, but people who believe in freedom generally want government to err on the side of giving free individuals more control over the content of their lives.

Of course, this freedom will never happen because Republicans want Big Brother's greasy moral hands all over the lives of free individuals. They want to put a Moral Bureaucrat in every bedroom. Republicans crave big government. They always have. When it comes to their military or religious or domestic-security agenda, The Right wants Washington to be more powerful than LBJ ever dreamed. They don't want Washington to control just the 50 states -- nope, they want Washington to control the globe with it's pre-emptive freedom bombs on "evil doers".

" Hi Iraq, I'm from the American Government and I'm here to help."

The only time they advocate small government is when GE is polluting the Hudson or the SEC is trying to regulate the derivatives market. How noble.

What a joke.

Last edited:
libertarian fiscally & socially. military centrist. I almost want to say cold war liberal because I think you would a been an JFK/LBJ anticommunist, i.e., hardline but pragmatic, i.e., not a paranoid lunatic like McCarthy or any of the post-isolantist far right crazies that lead us to the Bush Doctrine . . . which had us attacking, demolishing, and rebuilding whole "countries" in order to fight stateless terror cells.

Unfortunately, McCarthy wasn't paranoid or even wrong.

End capital gains tax
Keep abortion legal

Hard to say but most of what you say falls along the lines of classical liberalism and some of what you is contradictory.

To be self aware of the changes going on around you and not liking it and willing to stick to your position I would call that person a Conservative. Because sometimes change in the form that we have now is not good.

Because after all, words don't mean anything, and right and wrong is relative...

Best that we just all listen to editec and eschew thinking at all.

Because after all, words don't mean anything, and right and wrong is relative...

Best that we just all listen to editec and eschew thinking at all.

Words like liberal and conservative really don't mean anything, Allie.

What they once meant bears no relationship to what people calling themselves liberals or conservative today are all about.

I know you'd like a simpl;ified black and white world, but sadly dear, it just doesn't work that way.

As far as labels go you sound like a libertarian, aka America's modern fantasy ideology. Critiques Of Libertarianism: So You Want To Discuss Libertarianism....

Taxes are essential in any society, and capital gains and corporate taxes are necessary. Aside from the fact a flat tax would never pass, 17% would only punish the poor and the rich would waste more, and speculate more, and buy more convenient idiots for congress.
You cannot get government out of marriage because marriage entails a contract and government is the enforcer of law when marriage fails.
Abortion aka family planning is still a right.
Which 50%? I happen to like bridges, safe roads, transportation systems, and safe food and other products.
Welfare, medicare, and social security keep us from third world status, check some history before these things existed sometime.
Gold standard never was anything but an imaginary standard.
Libya isn't a war, Iraq invasion was a criminal act, and drones killing innocent people seems cowardly. Know your enemy before you kill them.
Israel and the Palestinians need to back off absurd demands and wishes and do the sane and sensible. Any hope for that?
Our policies under Bush have made Iran more powerful. But even with their power they cannot act, as the cold war demonstrated the power to annihilate renders certain ambitions useless. It's the nuts you have to watch worry about and destroy.

End capital gains tax
Keep abortion legal

I agree with 80 - 90 percent of what you said.

Forum List

Back