Although Mitt Romney lacks charisma, he's shown incredible fortitude and ruthlessness

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
New York City
He's going to be battered and wounded after the RNC..but Democrats should not take this cat lightly. He's tough. And he has some qualities that are sure to make the general a real piss and vinegar fight. He's got no moral center on anything which will make it easy for him to transition into a moderate in the general. He's also very clever and ruthless. He has no trouble saying anything about anything, and cites "situational ethics".

And what he lacks in charm and charisma..he will be made up with his money and political machine. The guy has a great ground game and has overwhelmed everyone of his opponents with it.

I seriously hope Democrats are paying attention. This guy has a real good shot at winning.

He's going to be battered and wounded after the RNC..but Democrats should not take this cat lightly. He's tough. And he has some qualities that are sure to make the general a real piss and vinegar fight. He's got no moral center on anything which will make it easy for him to transition into a moderate in the general. He's also very clever and ruthless. He has no trouble saying anything about anything, and cites "situational ethics".

And what he lacks in charm and charisma..he will be made up with his money and political machine. The guy has a great ground game and has overwhelmed everyone of his opponents with it.

I seriously hope Democrats are paying attention. This guy has a real good shot at winning.

I think you are putting too much into it.

he's fought a very nasty campaign against weak opponents who are personally very unpopular. Running a smear campaign against Newt Gingrich is easy. He has a history and the media was happy to help...

Running a smear campaign against Barack Obama is another matter. The media will scream racism if he goes anywhere out of bounds. Or even in bounds.

And frankly, I'm not impressed with his campaign. He's benefited more from opponents self-destructing than his defeating them. So now he's in a death struggle with a guy who was polling in single digits in December.

He'll win, eventually, because he has more money and organization. But Obama has yet more money and a lot more organization.

I think you are putting too much into it.

he's fought a very nasty campaign against weak opponents who are personally very unpopular. Running a smear campaign against Newt Gingrich is easy. He has a history and the media was happy to help...

Running a smear campaign against Barack Obama is another matter. The media will scream racism if he goes anywhere out of bounds. Or even in bounds.

And frankly, I'm not impressed with his campaign. He's benefited more from opponents self-destructing than his defeating them. So now he's in a death struggle with a guy who was polling in single digits in December.

He'll win, eventually, because he has more money and organization. But Obama has yet more money and a lot more organization.

If Karl Rove comes on board..and I think he will...look for a make over on Romney. And some very vicious attacks on Obama. Rove will probably turn the Bin Laden killing into an atrocity.

Reminds me of a great line by the coach of a lousy college basketball team:

"We're slow, but we're small."

Not really.

I base this on a couple of things. First..the fact that Romney is so willing to do the chameleon act. Second, I saw him admit fault, publicly.

Those two factors are pretty powerful. It may not be obvious to some..but those who know the Realpolitik, know those things are huge.

If Karl Rove comes on board..and I think he will...look for a make over on Romney. And some very vicious attacks on Obama. Rove will probably turn the Bin Laden killing into an atrocity.

I realize some of you guys on the left think that Karl Rove is like this evil genius because he got Bush elected...

But he needs something to work with.

As for Romney's ruthlessness, can he claim the Tea Party movement as one of his victims?

Going into this electoral season, the Tea Party was riding high. They had effectively controlled the House and were making inroads in the Senate. The Tea Party had what can be considered a banquet of potential presidential candidates; Bachmann, Perry, Santorum.

The first two shot themselves in the foot and Santorum is clearly in the sights of Romney's Super Pac. But it seems to me that today the Tea Party is a non factor due to Romney's success.

Romney can win the nomination without passionate support from his party and no real base to speak of. Romney's fire is all heat, no light. He can destroy but not inspire.

As for Romney's ruthlessness, can he claim the Tea Party movement as one of his victims?

Going into this electoral season, the Tea Party was riding high. They had effectively controlled the House and were making inroads in the Senate. The Tea Party had what can be considered a banquet of potential presidential candidates; Bachmann, Perry, Santorum.

The first two shot themselves in the foot and Santorum is clearly in the sights of Romney's Super Pac. But it seems to me that today the Tea Party is a non factor due to Romney's success.

Romney can win the nomination without passionate support from his party and no real base to speak of. Romney's fire is all heat, no light. He can destroy but not inspire.

Sometimes..that's all it takes.

I realize some of you guys on the left think that Karl Rove is like this evil genius because he got Bush elected...

Rove "genius" comes from the fact he's willing to do anything to achieve a goal. He's quite good at it too.

Without clicking into partisan mode, can you name a president who actually won by doing that?

(Any list you come up with will be all Republicans and completely wrong, of course.)

Without clicking into partisan mode, can you name a president who actually won by doing that?

(Any list you come up with will be all Republicans and completely wrong, of course.)

Nixon.

He was almost impeached for it too.

And Reagan.

But I will say Reagan had a great deal of Charisma and probably didn't need to engage in dirty tricks.

Last edited:

Nixon.

And Reagan.

But I will say Reagan had a great deal of Charisma and probably didn't need to engage in dirty tricks.

See, I knew you couldn't do it without being partisan.

Come on, Reagan. I would say Reagan was the most inspiring guy whose held the office in my lifetime.

He didn't destroy Carter or Mondale. Carter destroyed himself by being a complete boob. Mondale just promised more of the same.

Nixon you could have a little more of a leg to stand on, although, again, I would go so far to say that McGovern did more damage to himself than Nixon did.

Nixon.

And Reagan.

See, I knew you couldn't do it without being partisan.

Come on, Reagan. I would say Reagan was the most inspiring guy whose held the office in my lifetime.

He didn't destroy Carter or Mondale. Carter destroyed himself by being a complete boob. Mondale just promised more of the same.

Nixon you could have a little more of a leg to stand on, although, again, I would go so far to say that McGovern did more damage to himself than Nixon did.
Reagan, to me, was second worse in my lifetime; HOWEVER, he inspired a good number of Americans I know, thus I must credit him with leading the nation. NIXON, thus far, ranks as the BEST of my lifetime, despite paranoid dishonesty concerning his reelection. I'll take competence over charisma every time. I though GHWB was ok, and was a bit surprised Clinton won in 1992.

He had zero to work with (OK, one - a name) and got him elected President, twice.

In polling, the negatives for the Tea Party had turned north well before this primary season got well under way. That's not on Romney.

He had zero to work with (OK, one - a name) and got him elected President, twice.

But that is the point isn't it ?

Al Gore and John Kerry were not great opponents. I voted for Bush twice (and both cried and threw up afterwards). I really didn't vote for Bush. I voted against his opponents.

And that is the point we have reached. This isn't about who can do a better job. It is more about who won't screw us up further.

I was watching O'Reily last night and he was interviewing Beck. Beck was asking if we are ever going to have leadership that will step forward and describe the price we will need to pay in order to get things back in balance.

Obama wants to raise taxes on the rich. I can go for that. For every dollar he increases taxes....he has to cut four from spending (and that includes social security and medicare). That means that some people are going to have to come out of the system.

If Romney thinks he can grow his way out of this mess....WRONG.

Anyway....the point being that when Romney finally gets the nod, the campaign then becomes about what a super lousy job Obama has done. Who takes his place won't matter.

But that is the point isn't it ?

Al Gore and John Kerry were not great opponents. I voted for Bush twice (and both cried and threw up afterwards). I really didn't vote for Bush. I voted against his opponents.

And that is the point we have reached. This isn't about who can do a better job. It is more about who won't screw us up further.

I was watching O'Reily last night and he was interviewing Beck. Beck was asking if we are ever going to have leadership that will step forward and describe the price we will need to pay in order to get things back in balance.

Obama wants to raise taxes on the rich. I can go for that. For every dollar he increases taxes....he has to cut four from spending (and that includes social security and medicare). That means that some people are going to have to come out of the system.

If Romney thinks he can grow his way out of this mess....WRONG.

Anyway....the point being that when Romney finally gets the nod, the campaign then becomes about what a super lousy job Obama has done. Who takes his place won't matter.

Seriously, the act of voting brings you to tears and vomiting? I'm hoping you are being figuartive and not literal here, because it would indicate you aren't made of very tough stuff.

I actually vote for Bush, but this was before I became completely disillusioned about how the GOP has become completely in the thrall of big corporations that are raping this country.

Again, the whole theory that Romney supporters have put forward is that the 65% of Republicans who really don't want Romney (even if they can't all agree on an alternative) are going to magically fall in line after he gets the nomination. It just won't happen.

Forum List

Back