Although Mitt Romney lacks charisma, he's shown incredible fortitude and ruthlessness

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sallow, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    He's going to be battered and wounded after the RNC..but Democrats should not take this cat lightly. He's tough. And he has some qualities that are sure to make the general a real piss and vinegar fight. He's got no moral center on anything which will make it easy for him to transition into a moderate in the general. He's also very clever and ruthless. He has no trouble saying anything about anything, and cites "situational ethics".

And what he lacks in charm and charisma..he will be made up with his money and political machine. The guy has a great ground game and has overwhelmed everyone of his opponents with it.

I seriously hope Democrats are paying attention. This guy has a real good shot at winning.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,061
    I think you are putting too much into it.

he's fought a very nasty campaign against weak opponents who are personally very unpopular. Running a smear campaign against Newt Gingrich is easy. He has a history and the media was happy to help...

Running a smear campaign against Barack Obama is another matter. The media will scream racism if he goes anywhere out of bounds. Or even in bounds.

And frankly, I'm not impressed with his campaign. He's benefited more from opponents self-destructing than his defeating them. So now he's in a death struggle with a guy who was polling in single digits in December.

He'll win, eventually, because he has more money and organization. But Obama has yet more money and a lot more organization.

3. Sallow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    If Karl Rove comes on board..and I think he will...look for a make over on Romney. And some very vicious attacks on Obama. Rove will probably turn the Bin Laden killing into an atrocity.

4. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,458
    Reminds me of a great line by the coach of a lousy college basketball team:

"We're slow, but we're small."

5. Sallow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Not really.

I base this on a couple of things. First..the fact that Romney is so willing to do the chameleon act. Second, I saw him admit fault, publicly.

Those two factors are pretty powerful. It may not be obvious to some..but those who know the Realpolitik, know those things are huge.

6. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,061
    I realize some of you guys on the left think that Karl Rove is like this evil genius because he got Bush elected...

But he needs something to work with.

7. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,320
    As for Romney's ruthlessness, can he claim the Tea Party movement as one of his victims?

Going into this electoral season, the Tea Party was riding high. They had effectively controlled the House and were making inroads in the Senate. The Tea Party had what can be considered a banquet of potential presidential candidates; Bachmann, Perry, Santorum.

The first two shot themselves in the foot and Santorum is clearly in the sights of Romney's Super Pac. But it seems to me that today the Tea Party is a non factor due to Romney's success.

Romney can win the nomination without passionate support from his party and no real base to speak of. Romney's fire is all heat, no light. He can destroy but not inspire.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Sallow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Sometimes..that's all it takes.

9. Sallow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Rove "genius" comes from the fact he's willing to do anything to achieve a goal. He's quite good at it too.

10. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,061
    Without clicking into partisan mode, can you name a president who actually won by doing that?

(Any list you come up with will be all Republicans and completely wrong, of course.)