Altering Quotes

Off Topic: Mal, I recommend you go through your control panel a bit and get familiar with some of the settings, there's a lot in there you have control of for your own records and a lot of features for USMB as well which you can only get through the control panel.

For fuck's sake Gunny, you're not one to kowtow to Dweebs are you?

Who here really gives a fuck if anybody changes their quotes? It's quite easy to see when it has been done and who has done it. Are some so thin-skinned that they think somebody has "one-upped" them by doing it and their fragile little egos can't handle it?

Not long ago Xeno did it to me, I reciprocated, he did it again, as did I, and some third-party stuck their nose in and got all out of joint.

Fucking grow a pair ya ijits....

For fuck's sake Gunny, you're not one to kowtow to Dweebs are you?

Who here really gives a fuck if anybody changes their quotes? It's quite easy to see when it has been done and who has done it. Are some so thin-skinned that they think somebody has "one-upped" them by doing it and their fragile little egos can't handle it?

Not long ago Xeno did it to me, I reciprocated, he did it again, as did I, and some third-party stuck their nose in and got all out of joint.

Fucking grow a pair ya ijits....

Consider this an example of "if a privilege here is abused it will be revoked". For now, just suck it up and cope, it may pass with time.

Consider this an example of "if a privilege here is abused it will be revoked". For now, just suck it up and cope, it may pass with time.

I'm not so much bothered by the fact it has been "revoked" - it's not something I have done that often - more the fact that Gunny has listened to some Weiners. More annoyingly, it is probably some recently arrived Weiners (and I'm not talking in the past month, more like that last 6-12 months)....

I'm not so much bothered by the fact it has been "revoked" - it's not something I have done that often - more the fact that Gunny has listened to some Weiners. More annoyingly, it is probably some recently arrived Weiners (and I'm not talking in the past month, more like that last 6-12 months)....

When I was asked to be a mod I was reluctant for that reason, the whiners are annoying no matter where you are or who they are. However, like the military is known for, punishing everyone for something some bad apples do will often result in more long term results and it sets an example at the same time. Keeps the fact that there are rules fresh in everyone's minds. We have few rules here, but sometimes we all need a reminder to follow them.

From this point forward, since some want to abuse it, and others want to whine all over my PM box about it, altering quotes from other members will no longer be allowed until further notice.

If you do so, you will be warned the first time. Each time thereafter will result in a 1 point infraction.

Once again, you can thank the minority for the majority not being able to have nice things, that in context can be fun.

So if altering quotes is now against the rules, how about a complete fabrication?

From this point forward, since some want to abuse it, and others want to whine all over my PM box about it, altering quotes from other members will no longer be allowed until further notice.

If you do so, you will be warned the first time. Each time thereafter will result in a 1 point infraction.

Once again, you can thank the minority for the majority not being able to have nice things, that in context can be fun.

So if altering quotes is now against the rules, how about a complete fabrication?

Same ... unless Gunny corrects me as that is just my assumption.

So the brats broke one more toy.... well, what's that saying about they have no one to blame but themselves?

When I was asked to be a mod I was reluctant for that reason, the whiners are annoying no matter where you are or who they are. However, like the military is known for, punishing everyone for something some bad apples do will often result in more long term results and it sets an example at the same time. Keeps the fact that there are rules fresh in everyone's minds. We have few rules here, but sometimes we all need a reminder to follow them.

I mentioned recently that i consider myself a Newbie on this board, and you yourself are even newer by a good couple of years. However, I do remember what I consider the Bad Old Days, when this board was run by tyrants and tossers of the extreme conservative ilk. Then a new owner took over and most took flight (1: because the old owner, being a typical arsehole surreptitiously emailed everybody that he started a new board; and 2: the new owner turned out to be a total fucking Loser). So the board limped along until we got a series of reasonable owners, and somebody had the foresight to put Gunny in charge, and eventually the membership grew.
So now it's at a stage where most of the old crew, newer folks like me, and even newer folks like yourself, seem to be quite happy (I mean we all bitch and moan on the different threads depending our POV, but the general running of the place seems to be to everyone's general agreement). I would just hate to see things slipping down the slope due to the lowest common denominator.

I can see your POV of view with regard to the military analogy, but even when I was a kid and we all had to stay behind after the bell went due to one person's indiscretion, i always thought the rule sucked and sent the wrong message. Kowtowing to the few it not good policy IMO...telling the few to go fuck themselves is....:cool:

So the brats broke one more toy.... well, what's that saying about they have no one to blame but themselves?

The most important part is why it got broke, I won't retype what Gunny said in his many replies in here, but he left plenty of hints about those who broke it. Then remember military justice. (At least based on the fiction I have seen on the subject.) ;)

I am not referring to dividing quotes to address them. I am referring to attributing words to other members they did not post.

And so, what is the Conclusion on that Issue?...

I also have a Question about Sent PM's... I don't have any Stored...

Is that a Malfunction of the System, some Setting I don't have Correct?...

:)

peace...

No, it's not a malfunction of the system. You want them stored, you turn on the option to store them.

I didn't Specify either In or Outs to be Stored, but my Ins are...

I don't see an Option to Store the Outgoing PM's...

peace...

And so, what is the Conclusion on that Issue?...

I also have a Question about Sent PM's... I don't have any Stored...

Is that a Malfunction of the System, some Setting I don't have Correct?...

peace...

No, it's not a malfunction of the system. You want them stored, you turn on the option to store them.

peace...

Settings & Options -> Edit Options -> Messaging & Notification -> Private Messaging, last option.

Then in List Messages, the drop down list (Jump To) select Sent Items.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

peace...

Settings & Options -> Edit Options -> Messaging & Notification -> Private Messaging, last option.

Then in List Messages, the drop down list (Jump To) select Sent Items.

Thanks!

peace...

I mentioned recently that i consider myself a Newbie on this board, and you yourself are even newer by a good couple of years. However, I do remember what I consider the Bad Old Days, when this board was run by tyrants and tossers of the extreme conservative ilk. Then a new owner took over and most took flight (1: because the old owner, being a typical arsehole surreptitiously emailed everybody that he started a new board; and 2: the new owner turned out to be a total fucking Loser). So the board limped along until we got a series of reasonable owners, and somebody had the foresight to put Gunny in charge, and eventually the membership grew.
So now it's at a stage where most of the old crew, newer folks like me, and even newer folks like yourself, seem to be quite happy (I mean we all bitch and moan on the different threads depending our POV, but the general running of the place seems to be to everyone's general agreement). I would just hate to see things slipping down the slope due to the lowest common denominator.

I can see your POV of view with regard to the military analogy, but even when I was a kid and we all had to stay behind after the bell went due to one person's indiscretion, i always thought the rule sucked and sent the wrong message. Kowtowing to the few it not good policy IMO...telling the few to go fuck themselves is....:cool:

Well, rest assured no one wants to lose the appeal to USMB, and I know Gunny wouldn't have come up with this unless there is a really good reason. As you said, I haven't been here as long as you, or many others, and I don't know what it was like back in those times. But the boards I use to prowl were really bad ... so I can imagine the "bad ole days" and do not want to see USMB go that route either. The boards I was on just before here were the Yahoo ones *shudder*. There it was whoever reported posts they didn't like faster pretty much ran it. Also the Stranger Forums, which I occasionally appear now, which is very clickish ... in spite of the clicks here, there they were more like gangs.

But yeah, I personally don't like this temporary rule because I don't like having more to do as moderator ... especially a form of censorship ... but in this case it's almost like censoring censorship to me, at least that's how I am looking at it myself to keep me sane. ;)

1 infraction point means you can do it 11 times before you get banned...(which sounds like way too much to me).. Or, you could hit 2 infraction points, and they can be tired of it and ban you... You'll never know... :D

In order for infractions to get that far, does it take a consensus of all the board monitors to totally ban someone? And is there a PM giving the reason why?

I actually like the fact that there's more monitoring of this board, unlike a few of the others. But I do get a gnawing feeling sometimes that I may be booted off just because of something solely political that doesn't sit well with the majority of the mods here.

1 infraction point means you can do it 11 times before you get banned...(which sounds like way too much to me).. Or, you could hit 2 infraction points, and they can be tired of it and ban you... You'll never know... :D

In order for infractions to get that far, does it take a consensus of all the board monitors to totally ban someone? And is there a PM giving the reason why?

I actually like the fact that there's more monitoring of this board, unlike a few of the others. But I do get a gnawing feeling sometimes that I may be booted off just because of something solely political that doesn't sit well with the majority of the mods here.

That's your own idiocy speaking. Nobody's ever been banned for anything political.

Simple rule of thumb.. If you think it's something they'll ban you for, don't do it. :cool:

In order for infractions to get that far, does it take a consensus of all the board monitors to totally ban someone?

Not necessarily. I suspect that bans stand unless Gunny overrules.

And is there a PM giving the reason why?
If you try to log in when banned, you'll see a screen saying that you're banned, when it'll be lifted, and whv (if the mod specifies a reason)

Not gonna happen. trust me. I don't get along with certain members of the moderating staff and I'm still here
smile_wink.gif

Since you didn't quote his entire post, that means you altered it.
You'll probably get a warning now.

Heheheh...

I only quoted that to which I wished to reply. Saving space and bandwidth, I was thinking of the overall welfare of the board, you see...

Well, I agree with you on that. I usually only quote what I'm responding to cause I hate scrolling through a thread where someone has written a book and everyone else has quoted it to reply. I consider it ommission rather than alteration. So far I've only had one poster whine that I didn't quote ALL his post and as it was the board's favorite Union cheerleader I considered the source and overlooked it.

OH GAWD!!!! Me too. I thought I was the only one who complained about that.

Infraction points are like putting your name on the chalkboard. Once you have 10 infraction points, the system automatically bans you. I usually go in and remove them after 3 days, or whatever I decide is commensurate to the crime.

Chalkboards are so 70's.
Whiteboards are where it's now.

Chalkboards used to be called blackboards, but that was racist, it's only a matter of time until whiteboards are racist.

They're called 'dry-erase boards', now

I thought schools now used 56" screen monitors using pointers (and then complain they don't have enough money).

Forum List

Back