Formal debate/discussion area?

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by JBeukema, Jul 20, 2009.

1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Unfortunately, discussion often degenerate into name-calling, repetition, various tangents, and various degrees of douchebaggery. For most discussions, this is not a problem. However, there are times when a matter is being discussed prior to such incident, and any semblance of meaningful communication is lost. What I propose and request is an are of USMB where rules will be more strictly enforced and expanded upon in order to foster honest and meaningful discussion and debate regarding all of the various political and philosophical issues that so oft become a point of contention leading to senseless bickering. In this area, personal attacks would not be tolerated and the current ban on modifying the meaning of someone's text in a quote would remain permanence, whether it remain in effect in the rest of the forum or not.

Creating the area would be a relatively simple matter, and most of the rules that would be expected to be put into place either already exist or are relatively simple and revolve around respect (no personal attacks, trolling, or purposeful derailing of a thread) and honesty (citing sdources, representing other peoples' text accurately, etc). The exact workings of such an area, and its management, would, of course, be decided by USMB administration.

There are some intelligent users on this board who have, at times, made honest attempts to present their case and engage in meaningful discussions prior to the thread getting derailed or otherwise falling apart.I have no doubt that ifsuch an area were created, there are a number of users who would appreciate the opportunity to have meaningful discussion at a level not generally seen on most boards.

Thank you for your consideration,
    -The Reverend James Teunis Beukema

2. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Why are you calling for something you'd likely be one of the first people removed and banned FROM? YOUR idea of a debate is to declare an early victory, disappear from the discussion, and a week later make a thread claiming people ran from you. :eusa_hand:

Such a forum is already being discussed, regardless.

3. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    There is no need for your blatant and baseless personal attacks, Dis. Either address the matter at hand and express either your support or your opposition or kindly excuse yourself from the thread. If a thread already exists regarding this matter, do feel free to link to it so as to prevent needless repetition.

4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Reverend? ROFLMAO...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Repetition here gives your OTHER hand a rest from it's standard activities. You should be thanking me.

6. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Yes, reverend. What's it to you? Again, if you have nothing to contribute to the thread, I'll thank you to excuse yourself. There is no need for your childish behavior.

I find it interesting, Dis, that you attack me while trolling this very thread.

7. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,752
    Is this some sort of joke?

8. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Do most people even know how to have a formal debate on here? :lol:

I'd say we do Parliamentary but that would not end well.

9. JenT

JenT God lead our troops

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +253

Are you kidding me? After you and Robert waited until after I left the forum to call me a whore over and over again?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/1355340-post328.html

WOW!

Just the same I sure hope not, I'd prefer the freedom even if I do get shot at all the time.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  10. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I think JB called you a whore before you ever left. When people call me a whore, I just neg them. (Well, only Pale calls me one) :eusa_angel:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009