Altering Quotes

Infraction points are like putting your name on the chalkboard. Once you have 10 infraction points, the system automatically bans you. I usually go in and remove them after 3 days, or whatever I decide is commensurate to the crime.

Chalkboards are so 70's.
Whiteboards are where it's now.

Chalkboards used to be called blackboards, but that was racist, it's only a matter of time until whiteboards are racist.

:eusa_eh:

I graduated in 77 if that clears it up for you any.:lol:

I'm from the same generation, that's why I know about all this stuff. :lol:

Since you didn't quote his entire post, that means you altered it.
You'll probably get a warning now.

Heheheh...

I only quoted that to which I wished to reply. Saving space and bandwidth, I was thinking of the overall welfare of the board, you see...

Well, I agree with you on that. I usually only quote what I'm responding to cause I hate scrolling through a thread where someone has written a book and everyone else has quoted it to reply. I consider it ommission rather than alteration. So far I've only had one poster whine that I didn't quote ALL his post and as it was the board's favorite Union cheerleader I considered the source and overlooked it.

It is still fine to post only that from a quote which you wish to respond to.

For the time being, no altering the words posted by other members as quotes. You of course may still editorialize, you'll just have to work a bit harder at it. I'm sure if ANYONE can find a way, it's you.:lol:
(emphases added)

That's a was okay. For the time being, no. As I said, When we can get back to ground zero on this I'll revisit it.
(emphasis in original)

can't you just ban the jackasses who're abusing the system and stop giving me these mixed signals? I eman.. depending on how literal/strict/hardass gunny sgt you want to be, this would include adding bracketed text or correcting terminology in brackets for clarification purposes...Is that 'editing someon's words'? What about adding emphasis, or changing italics to underlines to account for the auto-underlining of the cited quotes on the system?

Last edited:
Infraction points are like putting your name on the chalkboard. Once you have 10 infraction points, the system automatically bans you. I usually go in and remove them after 3 days, or whatever I decide is commensurate to the crime.

Chalkboards are so 70's.
Whiteboards are where it's now.

Chalkboards used to be called blackboards, but that was racist, it's only a matter of time until whiteboards are racist.

They're called 'dry-erase boards', now

I'll have to talk to the HR dept at work and inform them how to be more racially sensitive.

Well this only leaves one thing everybody:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwBbMXYDsXw]YouTube - Footloose - Original Music Video[/ame]

For the time being, no altering the words posted by other members as quotes. You of course may still editorialize, you'll just have to work a bit harder at it. I'm sure if ANYONE can find a way, it's you.:lol:
(emphases added)

That's a was okay. For the time being, no. As I said, When we can get back to ground zero on this I'll revisit it.
(emphasis in original)

can't you just ban the jackasses who're abusing the system and stop giving me these mixed signals? I eman.. depending on how literal/strict/hardass gunny sgt you want to be, this would include adding bracketed text or correcting terminology in brackets for clarification purposes...Is that 'editing someon's words'? What about adding emphasis, or changing italics to underlines to account for the auto-underlining of the cited quotes on the system?

I mean

Fixed it for you.

I mean

Fixed it for you.

:eek:

$BanHammer.jpg

(emphases added)

(emphasis in original)

You're trying too hard. You hit quote, then post outside the quotation brackets. Bolding and/or italicizing is not altering the quote. It is drawing attention to a word or words in particular within a quote.

From this point forward, since some want to abuse it, and others want to whine all over my PM box about it, altering quotes from other members will no longer be allowed until further notice.

If you do so, you will be warned the first time. Each time thereafter will result in a 1 point infraction.

Once again, you can thank the minority for the majority not being able to have nice things, that in context can be fun.

Looking back at Gunny's OP post, this is what comes to mind:

$ArgueCat.jpg

(emphases added)

(emphasis in original)

I mean

Fixed it for you.

fixed [that] for you.

I fixed that for you...

This is going to be shit, and the board's gonna look like a fuckin' rainbow. Goddammit...

(emphases added)

(emphasis in original)

I mean

Fixed it for you.

fixed [that] for you.

I fixed that for you...

This is going to be shit, and the board's gonna look like a fuckin' rainbow. Goddammit...

Or, you could just STFU and do as you're told.

From this point forward, since some want to abuse it, and others want to whine all over my PM box about it, altering quotes from other members will no longer be allowed until further notice.

If you do so, you will be warned the first time. Each time thereafter will result in a 1 point infraction.

Once again, you can thank the minority for the majority not being able to have nice things, that in context can be fun.

And we all know the minority referred to. What a sad day when those morons joined!

now what minority would that be? I never complained about this issue. Don't know anyone else from that group you might assume it was.

Looking back at Gunny's OP post, this is what comes to mind:

View attachment 7745

Well, Gunny IS a Peter Criss fan.

Forum List

Back