Alien Nation

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
:rotflmao:
Maybe I'm behind in the times with this piece, but I've never seen this before...I found it hilarious, I thought I'd post it...Pardon me if this is an old repeat.... I still think it's funny as heck....: :clap1:

Claim: Several prominent Democrats were born nine months after the 1947 Roswell incident.

Example: [Collected via e-mail, 2006]

Many will recall that on July 8, 1947, witnesses claim that an unidentified object with five aliens aboard crashed onto a sheep and cattle ranch just outside Roswell, New Mexico.

This is a well-known incident that many say has long been covered up by the U.S. Air Force and the federal government.

However, you may NOT know that in the month of March 1948, exactly nine months after that historic day, Albert Arnold Gore, Jr., Hillary Rodham, John F. Kerry, William Jefferson Clinton, Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi, Dianne Feinstein, Charles E. Schumer, and Barbara Boxer were born.

That piece of information has now cleared up a lot of things.

Origins: This
amusing bit of political humor first hit our inbox in August 2006, positing a connection between July 1947 events in Roswell, New Mexico (i.e., the alleged recovery of an alien spacecraft and its occupants) and the birth nine months later of several currently prominent Democrats.

At the risk of belaboring the obvious by deconstructing humor, we'll point out that the basic premise of the joke doesn't ring true. First of all, the normal human gestation period is about 38 weeks, so children conceived on or shortly after the date of the Roswell incident (8 July 1947) would most likely have been born (assuming ordinary, full-term pregnancies) in April 1948, not March. Secondly, only one of the political figures named was born even approximately nine months after the events as Roswell.

Five of the figures listed were born well before March 1948:
Dianne Feinstein (U.S. Senator, California): 22 June 1933

Nancy Pelosi (U.S. Representative, California): 26 March 1940

Barbara Boxer (U.S. Senator, California): 11 November 1940

John Kerry (U.S. Senator, Massachusetts): 11 December 1943

Bill Clinton (former U.S. President): 19 August 1946
Two more of the persons identified were born considerably later than nine months after Roswell:
Howard Dean (former Governor of Vermont): 17 November 1948

Charles E. Schumer (U.S. Senator, New York): 23 November 1950
Hillary Rodham Clinton (U.S. Senator, New York) was born on 26 October 1947, a mere three months after the Roswell incident.

Only Al Gore, Jr. (former U.S. Vice-President), who was born on 31 March 1948, came into the world at a time that reasonably fits into the framework of this humorous premise. Quite possibly this item started out as a joke specifically about him, and others later expanded it into a joke about Democrats in general.
Last updated: 8 September 2006
http://www.snopes.com/politics/humor/roswell.asp

Forum List

Back